Going to Tanzania in 2005. Lots of Questions

Old January 12th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Justin Leggroan

Default Going to Tanzania in 2005. Lots of Questions

After having read through some great information offered up in this forum
over the past two weeks. I have now decided that my visit to Tanzania (and
hopefully Kenya) will be July 2005. I know...... I know...... It's quite a
ways off but it also happens to be the year I acquire an additional week of
vacation.

Considering that I will be visiting for 2-3 weeks (In July), here is what I
would like to know.

1. What kind of luggage should I bring? (i.e., Duffle Bag, Back Pack,
Standard Suitcase with Roller, etc.)

2. If I go on a guided safari tour, is there anything in particular that I
should look for when comparing outfits?

3. Do you get to see more on the camping-based safaris?

4. So far, the only book in my library is the Lonely Planet guide to
Tanzania (Bought it today). Any other Recommendations?

5. Any recommendations for taking Travelers Checks versus Currency in USD or
a suggested ratio of the two?

6. I do not own any binoculars, is there anything I should consider when
buying a pair for the trip?

7. Are there places where I will be able to transfer digital pictures from
Compact Flash media to CD-ROM or should I plan to bring Lots of Compact
Flash media?

8. The cost of the trip is a bit prohibitive for most of my friends so at
this point I will be traveling alone. Is there anyone else out there that
has made the journey alone that has any insight they would be willing to
share for a solo travelers perspective?

9. Is there anything I should bring with me that I will regret if I don't?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

Regards,

Justin Leggroan

Old January 13th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Dave Patterson

Justin Leggroan wrote:

I have now decided that my visit to Tanzania (and
hopefully Kenya) will be July 2005.

Can you not go in June? No single supplement in lodges,
migration still likely to be quite accessible in the Serengeti.
It's in Tanzania in July, of course.. but probably farther
west & north where there are fewer accommodations.

1. What kind of luggage should I bring?

Duffel bag - sturdy enough to survive the international flights.

2. If I go on a guided safari tour, is there anything in particular that I
should look for when comparing outfits?

Guaranteed everything. Window seat in vehicle. Specific lodges and
specific dates. All fees included. Full board. Do NOT compromise
on these points.

3. Do you get to see more on the camping-based safaris?

Yes, more dirt. Seriously, I really don't think you do, except for
the natural value of sleeping out under the stars. Lodges (in June)
are quite reasonable, considering the level of comfort and quality
of food and service.

5. Any recommendations for taking Travelers Checks versus Currency in USD or
a suggested ratio of the two?

Plan on taking one MasterCard or Visa, and some cash in $20 bills.
And some Travelers' Checks in maybe $20 & $50 denominations.

6. I do not own any binoculars, is there anything I should consider when
buying a pair for the trip?

I say a cheap 10x50 from some place like WalMart or Target. Always
available for $40 (or less).

7. Are there places where I will be able to transfer digital pictures from
Compact Flash media to CD-ROM or should I plan to bring Lots of Compact
Flash media?

If you bring your own storage, you don't need to worry about this.
The lodges I use for my clients do not have the service you are asking about.

8. The cost of the trip is a bit prohibitive for most of my friends so at
this point I will be traveling alone. Is there anyone else out there that
has made the journey alone that has any insight they would be willing to
share for a solo travelers perspective?

See above June

9. Is there anything I should bring with me that I will regret if I don't?

A girl friend. It can be very romantic.
I would also take the basic stomach stuff - to slow down your system
if necessary - to speed it up if that's what you need.
A small flashlight. Pack your things in big 2 or 2 1/2 gallon baggies.
Swim suit. Extra glasses or contact lenses if you wear them.

Old January 13th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Justin Leggroan

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Can you not go in June? No single supplement in lodges,
migration still likely to be quite accessible in the Serengeti.

I can go any month of the year but I picked July only because of the rain.
I've read much conflicting information as to when the major rainy season
ends... If I go in June, what kind of weather should I expect within the
Serengeti

----------------------------

Guaranteed everything. Window seat in vehicle. Specific lodges and
specific dates. All fees included. Full board. Do NOT compromise
on these points.

Do you have any company recommendations. And when you say "all fees
included", what kinds of fees are you referring to?

----------------------------

Yes, more dirt. Seriously, I really don't think you do, except for
the natural value of sleeping out under the stars. Lodges (in June)
are quite reasonable, considering the level of comfort and quality
of food and service.

LOL. The book I have started reading made the same suggestion about the
lodges. Although I like clarity you put on the issue.

----------------------------

Plan on taking one MasterCard or Visa, and some cash in $20 bills.
And some Travelers' Checks in maybe $20 & $50 denominations.

I took a trip to Nepal last year and it wasn't until I converted some USD
into local currency, walked around town, ate and bought some souveniers
that I realize I brought about 10 times more money than I needed. I realize
this is a fairly subjective question but how much walking around money would
you suggest? Allowing for about 2 days outside of a 14-day organized safari.

----------------------------

If you bring your own storage, you don't need to worry about this.
The lodges I use for my clients do not have the service you are asking

about.

(my clients)... Are you a safari operator, travel agent, other? If so,
please include a website or contact information if you reply.

Old January 13th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Liz

In message
Dave Patterson wrote:

Justin Leggroan wrote:

I have now decided that my visit to Tanzania (and
hopefully Kenya) will be July 2005.

Can you not go in June? No single supplement in lodges,

Oh, $%^&£&!
I wish I hadn't read that.
:-(

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles; Namibia
Old January 13th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Dave Patterson

Justin Leggroan wrote:

I've read much conflicting information as to when the major rainy season
ends... If I go in June, what kind of weather should I expect within the
Serengeti

I say: expect none. Here's a great web site from Lake Ndutu Lodge
with very reliable weather data: http://www.ndutu.com/pages/weather.html

Do you have any company recommendations. And when you say "all fees
included", what kinds of fees are you referring to?

Park fees, crater fee at Ngorongoro. Any reputable operator always
includes those. One who doesn't should be avoided. I can recommend
Bushbuck Safaris - http://www.bushbuckltd.com
but no need to contact them just yet. They won't have rates for 2005.

how much walking around money would
you suggest? Allowing for about 2 days outside of a 14-day organized safari.

If you use your credit card at the lodges, hotels, etc., then you would
not need more than $100 for 2 days, plus emergency just-in-case money.

(my clients)... Are you a safari operator, travel agent, other? If so,
please include a website or contact information if you reply.

I am retiring this year after 16 years as a safari operator based in
the US. I don't solicit business in the newsgroup, but thanks for asking.
I do use Bushbuck for my Guides, vehicles, and lodge bookings in
Tanzania, and they are very reputable and totally reliable.

Old January 13th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Dave Patterson

One more thing: when I said "expect none" in response
to your question about the weather, I was referring to
rain. The weather will be glorious. Sunny, cool, (maybe
hit 80 at midday).

Old January 14th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Justin Leggroan

I have now decided that my visit to Tanzania (and
hopefully Kenya) will be July 2005.

Can you not go in June? No single supplement in lodges,

Oh, $%^&£&!
I wish I hadn't read that.
:-(

Yeah I agree!!! That is a excellent piece of information to have.

When did you last go to Tanzania? I'm now going in June of 2005. Maybe I'll
see you there.

Old January 14th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Justin Leggroan

Thanks Dave!!!

I really appreciate all of the great info you've provided. One more question

Park fees, crater fee at Ngorongoro. Any reputable operator always
includes those. One who doesn't should be avoided. I can recommend
Bushbuck Safaris - http://www.bushbuckltd.com
but no need to contact them just yet. They won't have rates for 2005.

I am retiring this year after 16 years as a safari operator based in
the US. I don't solicit business in the newsgroup, but thanks for asking.
I do use Bushbuck for my Guides, vehicles, and lodge bookings in
Tanzania, and they are very reputable and totally reliable.

When you were booking for clients who wanted to go in June, how far in
advance would you accept the reservations?

Old January 14th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Dave Patterson

Justin Leggroan wrote:

Thanks Dave!!!

When you were booking for clients who wanted to go in June, how far in
advance would you accept the reservations?

I discouraged anyone from signing up more than a year in advance.
I might take their names that far out, and then resume contact after
rates and itineraries were set.. usually about 10-12 months prior to
departure. If you start contacting tour companies this early, they
won't have the final $$$ amounts yet, I suspect.

I won't be there myself anymore - except for fun. But I have clients
going... in June!

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Liz

In message
"Justin Leggroan" wrote:

I have now decided that my visit to Tanzania (and
hopefully Kenya) will be July 2005.

Can you not go in June? No single supplement in lodges,

Oh, $%^&£&!
I wish I hadn't read that.
:-(

Yeah I agree!!! That is a excellent piece of information to have.

Of course it is, if you're in a position to make use of it.
Otherwise it's completely galling.
Mind you, having whined about it in the staffroom today, I was told we break
up on the 25th this year, so I might get some advantage.
We're usually 'in' until the last day of June, so I didn't think about
checking.

Dave, does this apply to Kenya too? *All* lodges and camps?
Do they all change exactly on July 1st?
This is info I always want to have, but of course can't get my hands on!

When did you last go to Tanzania?

I've only been in Tz once, in '98. Other than that it's been Kenya, which is
generally a bit cheaper. Had a *great* time in Tz, though. We had a
particularly excellent driver/guide, though we've always been very fortunate
with our guides.

I'm now going in June of 2005. Maybe I'll see you there.

Sadly, although I seem to have much longer holidays that you, I don't have
even five minutes' flexibility about *when* I take them.

Anyway, you'll have a fantastic time!

Slainte

Liz