Tree climbing Lions?

Old January 6th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Happy New Year, Liz!

One of the minor disappointments of our trip last fall was that we
didn't see any lions in trees -- not even in Manyara!

The other minor disappointment was not seeing the migration cross the
Mara despite the fact that there were huge numbers on our side and a
good number on the other side grazing -- guess they were waiting for us
to leave before they crossed. . .

The *major* disappointment is that we don't get "Big Cat Diary"
here!!!! We watched them film and heard all about it but have yet to
see it.

Old January 6th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Liz

In message
"Rita Daggett" wrote:

"Pat Anderson" wrote in message

Big Cat Diary is great, as usual, with the
enthusiasm of the three presenters adding to the thrill of seeing these
cats.

Mmmm - I dont think this series is anything like as good as the previous
ones; get the impression its been much more heavily edited to tell a 'story'
and to have lots of exciting cliff-hangers, rather than just being a more
accurate representation of Big Cats' lives.

I think it was heralded in RT as 'soap opera'!
Mind you, all my colleagues, not very natural history minded, are glued!

I know they HAVE to edit or it would be very boring but the previous series
(as far as I recall) were shown in the autumn and very close to the actual
filming; this one seems to have been filmed some time ago and edited at
leisure?

Again, according to the RT, they were a month filming, for 2 1/2 hours
broadcastable footage.
Of course, this can lead to problems for drivers when visitors expect that
much action during their brief visit, not realising the extensive logistics
involved in filming such as BCD.

Anyway, it helps to ease my withdrawal symptoms, and even D is muttering
about how he'd like to go back. :-)

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos

Old January 6th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Rita Daggett
writes
"Pat Anderson" wrote in message

Big Cat Diary is great, as usual, with the
enthusiasm of the three presenters adding to the thrill of seeing these
cats.

Mmmm - I dont think this series is anything like as good as the previous
ones; get the impression its been much more heavily edited to tell a 'story'
and to have lots of exciting cliff-hangers, rather than just being a more
accurate representation of Big Cats' lives.
I know they HAVE to edit or it would be very boring but the previous series
(as far as I recall) were shown in the autumn and very close to the actual
filming; this one seems to have been filmed some time ago and edited at
leisure?

You are right Rita, they are usually shown in the autumn. If you
remember, when Big Cat Diary was first shown it was live, first thing in
the morning here in Britain, I think at the week end. It may have had a
different title as well.
I have a friend in Nairobi who told me the filming was done August/
September.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson

Old January 6th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Liz

In message .com
wrote:

Happy New Year, Liz!

Lang may yer lum reek!

One of the minor disappointments of our trip last fall was that we
didn't see any lions in trees -- not even in Manyara!

We didn't actually them in Manyara either, because we spent a lot of time
watching giraffes necking, so we hardly reached the lake area at all!

The other minor disappointment was not seeing the migration cross the
Mara despite the fact that there were huge numbers on our side and a
good number on the other side grazing -- guess they were waiting for us
to leave before they crossed. . .

That's a real shame if you were there are the 'right time'.
I can't get there at the 'right time', but I'd love to see it.

The *major* disappointment is that we don't get "Big Cat Diary"
here!!!! We watched them film and heard all about it but have yet to
see it.

Not even on PBS???
The Beeb is usually pretty good about being able to sell their documentaries
abroad.
Trouble is, even if I taped it for you, you have a different video system.
You'll just have to go back!
(were you kept out of the area they were filming in? I heard that because
they pay such huge fees to film and don't want tourist vehicles in shot,
other visitors are kept out of the area they're filming in.)

Slainte

Liz

PS, thanks also to Pat, Dave and Jan for replying to this thread. :-)