Power plugs in Tanzania and Kenya

Old May 13th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Not the Karl Orff

Default Power plugs in Tanzania and Kenya

I may need to recharge camera batteries in the hotel and don't want to
be short of an adapter. What shape/type are the power sockets in Kenya
& Tanzania? The British square rectangular points by any chance, with
the plug containing a fuse?
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Dave Patterson

The plugs have 3 rectangular prongs - like the British system.
A fuse in the plug? Not in my experience. In some lodges,
you may have to leave the charger at the front desk, because
the room or tent would have a low-voltage system. If you
are at the Serenas, however, I think they all have 220V in the
rooms - except at Kirawira.

Old May 13th, 2004, 06:10 PM
nTZ

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
I may need to recharge camera batteries in the hotel and don't want to
be short of an adapter. What shape/type are the power sockets in Kenya
& Tanzania? The British square rectangular points by any chance, with
the plug containing a fuse?

Yes, British style plugs and 220-240 volts.

Many lodges run from generators, and do not have power sockets in their
rooms - you need to take your kit to reception for charging. Some lodges
turn the generator off at night (11pm ish), so best if you can recharge in
less than 6 hours, and get plugged in quick when you get back from your game
drives. Don't forget spare batteries.

David

Old May 13th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Dave Patterson wrote:

The plugs have 3 rectangular prongs - like the British system.
A fuse in the plug? Not in my experience. In some lodges,
you may have to leave the charger at the front desk, because
the room or tent would have a low-voltage system. If you
are at the Serenas, however, I think they all have 220V in the
rooms - except at Kirawira.

Will be. Thanks. I hope it all works. Have a 12V inverter to use in
the vehicles, assuming there are cigarette lighters, as a back up.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"nTZ" wrote:

Many lodges run from generators, and do not have power sockets in their
rooms - you need to take your kit to reception for charging. Some lodges
turn the generator off at night (11pm ish), so best if you can recharge in
less than 6 hours, and get plugged in quick when you get back from your game
drives. Don't forget spare batteries.

Have spare batteries but they may not last long enough! Will use the
12v inverter to recharge in the car if that's an option
Old May 15th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

... Have a 12V inverter to use in
the vehicles, assuming there are cigarette lighters, as a back up.

Grab a connector with two big alligator clips on one side and a
car cigarette lighter socket on the other. That helps when a car
doesn't have that socket. I always carry one of those.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

... Have a 12V inverter to use in
the vehicles, assuming there are cigarette lighters, as a back up.

Grab a connector with two big alligator clips on one side and a
car cigarette lighter socket on the other. That helps when a car
doesn't have that socket. I always carry one of those.

Thanks. Guess shouldn't assume all cars have these.