Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

Old July 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Alohacyberian

Default Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
Alohacyberian wrote:
"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message

Yes, he does. Just because you didn't put the sticker on the plate,
doesn't mean you don't have it. I neglected to put my sticker on this
year and drove around for months with the sticker in the glove
compartment. And in many states, stickers are stolen regularly. KM

Is it not technically illegal to not have your sticker on your plate?

In some states yes, in others no. In states where it is common practice to
steal stickers, most law enforcement officers understand why people are
reticent to put them on the plates. There was a time when if you drove your
own car to a border town in Mexico and left it unattended, you could count
on your sticker being stolen. Not sure if that is still true. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or

Old July 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Alohacyberian

"Brian" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 03:17:36 GMT, "Alohacyberian"
wrote:

I was also pulled over once because my description matched the perpetrator
and my car matched the getaway car in robbery (or some such thing - they
never did tell me) that had just been committed in the neighborhood where
was driving. They were extremely unpleasant; fortunately another squad
car
had nailed the suspect; unfortunately the cops that pulled me over didn't
discover that tidbit for about 4 hours. Yes, I got hauled in and yes my
car
got towed. I did get a letter of apology, though. KM

Did you have to pay for the towing?

Yes, I did pay for the towing, though, I later learned that in some states
people don't have to pay for the towing. So whether I really had to pay for
it or not, I never really knew. Knowing what I know now, I feel certain
that if I didn't have to pay for the towing in that instance, the towing
company collected from both me and the city. KM

Old July 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Alohacyberian

"Brian" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 03:17:38 GMT, "Alohacyberian"
wrote:

I don't think it's always the state, I think its also the individual law
enforcement officer involved. I was riding with a friend in Wyoming and
he
was descending that long downhill grade just after we crossed the
Continental divide going 72 in a 70 mile an hour zone. Several cars with
Wyoming plates had sped past us, but, the officer ticketed my friend with
the California plates. Fortunately, at that time, speeding tickets were
very reasonable there at that time: $10, but, all fines cut in half if
you
were wearing your safety belt. In Wyoming, like Colorado, you pay the
ticket on the spot if you have out of state plates. We imagined the
officer
taking the crisp $5 bill and heading to the nearest dunkin' donuts. KM

My wife got a ticket in Wyoming a couple of years ago for doing 80 in
a 65. Fortunately, I had gotten her to slow down from the 90 she had
been doing. She mailed in the fine from home. We live in MD. I think
the fine was about $75.

Ah, inflation has come to Wyoming! Just think, if it's the same as in the
old days, had y'all had Wyoming plates on your car, you could have continued
to go 90 with no problem! KM

Old July 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Alohacyberian

"Sapphyre" wrote in message
oups.com...
Alohacyberian wrote:
On long trips, I don't ever recall driving even close to the speed limit
unless there were law enforcement officers in the vicinity. I've
probably
driven that I-5 between Ashland and Medford a hundred times or more and
have
never been pulled, though I was ticketed just north of Eugene. I mighta
just been lucky, but, I do keep a close watch. I have noticed though,
that
Oregon, like many other states does not tolerate driving in the passing
lane(s) unless you are actually overtaking and passing another vehicle.
KM

I can understand wanting to get somewhere fast if you have a lot of
miles to cover... I did 4200 miles over a 19 day period of time, and it
was for fun. So I got to whereever I got to, and I didn't want to miss
stuff that might be interesting. So about 80% of my trip was off the
Interstate. I did the Interstate from Salt Lake to Idaho Falls, Bozeman
to Missoula, Pasco to Mount Hood, Medford to Weed, Williams to Fernley,
and Provo to Salt Lake City. Every other part of the trip was on a
secondary highway, and sometimes around in circles... I wasted so many
miles on side trips that were not part of the rough draft itinerary I
produced.

But I did almost get a ticket in Ely, NV. I say almost, because had I
not been following the camper doing 50 mph leaving town, I might have
assumed the limit had become 70 again and sped up at least to 60, until
I was sure. That trooper was sitting at the mileage sign just waiting
for people leaving town bright and early in the morning. The camper
saved my butt, so I couldn't have gotten a ticket, I wasn't speeding.

I must say, my favourite driving states are Nevada, Utah, Idaho and
Montana... Interstate highways are 70-75, which I find perfectly
reasonable. I wasn't too happy driving in Oregon, not my favourite
place. But that highway through Bend wasn't too bad for a secondary
road.

Well, I long ago learned that unless you are in a metropolitan area, the
California Highway Patrol will allow you to go 75 or 10 miles an hour above
the posted speed limit, provided you aren't changing lanes. In fact, more
than once, when I was travelling in the 80s or 90s they would pull up next
to me and announce on their loudspeakers "You are going over 75 miles an
hour (that was when the speed limit was 55) and then as soon as I slowed
down to 75 or less, they'd speed on their merry way. Another time, I was
going about 80 something (in a 55 MPH) zone and a motorcycle cop (California
Highway Patrol) pulled me and his words were, "You were going over 75 MPH".
Again, a clue as to what he would allow. Though, I suspect, if you are
driving on I-5 between Los Angeles and San Francisco, they will let you go
much faster as I have seen cars blow past me as though I were standing still
when I was travelling in the 90s. KM

Old July 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Alohacyberian

"Don Kirkman" wrote in message
It seems to me I heard somewhere that wrote in
article . com:
I've never been pulled over (they never had a reason to)

A few months ago I was followed several blocks, then pulled over by a
local Sheriff's deputy who questioned my registration and license plate
(everything was in order). I have Amateur Radio plates, have had for
many years now, but this young officer apparently didn't even know such
a thing existed (they're not that unusual on the California roads and
streets). When he tried to run a computer check he failed to account for
a space in the license number and it came back as unknown. I had to sit
and wait for a while before he (apparently) tried various combinations
of the digits and letters before he hit the right one. Naturally, he
told me that it was okay, but didn't bother to apologize for the
inconvenience his lack of knowledge/imagination caused me.
--

Yup, same thing happened to me way back when and I explained to the young
rookie cop what "Ham" plates were for and apparently calling in WB6CAS

Old July 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Alohacyberian

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
SP Cook wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, all states and provinces require that the
registered owner be a resident of the jurisdiction where the plate is
issued.

That's not the case in a lot of American states. Many people have multiple
residences and do not reside in the states where they have second homes and
keep vehicles for their use when they visit those places which are not their
legal residences. KM

Old July 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
sechumlib

On 2006-07-21 07:38:32 -0400, "Alohacyberian" said:

Ah, inflation has come to Wyoming! Just think, if it's the same as in
the old days, had y'all had Wyoming plates on your car, you could have
continued to go 90 with no problem! KM

Does Wyoming still allow open 6-packs in the car? Used to be,
reportedly, that driving speed was classed according to how many
6-packs you'd drink as you crossed the state.

Old July 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
sechumlib

On 2006-07-20 23:10:40 -0400, Steve Sobol said:

My experience was somewhat better in 1997.

Wickliffe, OH, just east of Cleveland - I'm driving around in my brand new
car, for which I ordered personalized plates.

It takes a while to manufacture them, so after my 30-day tag expires, I get a
small placard from the dealer with my plate number written on it, and a
letter from the BMV saying I'm legal to drive that car.

I get pulled over by a Wickliffe cop for driving without plates.

Of course, once I explained myself and handed over the letter and my license,
and he ran the plate number and VIN to make sure the car wasn't stolen,
everything was cool, and he apologized to me (not that I thought it was a big
deal, everyone screws up sometimes).

Good ole Wickliffe! I worked there for 17 years.

Old July 21st, 2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Dave Smith

Steve Sobol wrote:

Sure. Much like your failure to show your drivers license, because (for
example) you forgot it at home, is prima facie evidence that you don't have
one, and you can get a ticket.

I got pulled over once and had forgotten my license at home, and managed to
get out of a "no license" ticket by telling the officer "I know my license
number," and I gave him the license number, SSN and address and he ran it,
and it checked out. (This was back before Ohio allowed you to omit your SSN
from your license.)

Before I used to be able to check out of province driver licences I used to
give people a sort of break if they couldn't produce a licence. Instead of
charging them for not surrendering their licence, I charged them for driving
without one and I explained that if they came to court with their licence, or
even if they sent in a certified copy of their licence before the court date, I
would drop the charge. Curiously, of the dozen or more times that I did that,
only one person ever sent in proof of having a licence. The rest were all
convicted.