Bilingual in Europe versus USA

Old August 29th, 2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mxsmanic

Default Bilingual in Europe versus USA

Dave Frightens Me writes:

No wonder people here think you're racist.

No wonder a lot of people are constrained to living on welfare or
dealing drugs.

Bill Cosby feels the same way; is he a racist, too?

Old August 29th, 2006, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mxsmanic

Dave Frightens Me writes:

Insistance doesn't demonstrate anything.

I'm not insisting, I'm informing.

Old August 29th, 2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:53:00 +0200, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Dave Frightens Me wrote:

And what about cosa, but also coso, cosina, cosino and even cosare ?

I've never heard of the last four, but cosina is fairly obvious (cioé
una piccola cosa). What on earth could cosare mean? Is it a verb?

All expressions quite used in familiar speech (also in offices !). And
yes is a verb, maybe not recorded in dictionaries, but widely used as a
catch all for some more complex expression one does not remember at the
moment.

I asked some friends today, and yes, coso is also widlely used
apparently, although my ears never picked it up.

The hardest reading for me is Max magazine, because there's so much
slang in it!

Can you explain to me how 'cosare' is used?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:23:07 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

Insistance doesn't demonstrate anything.

I'm not insisting, I'm informing.

Your information is tainted, love.
--
---
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:22:21 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

No wonder people here think you're racist.

No wonder a lot of people are constrained to living on welfare or
dealing drugs.

They are just as often white as black.

Bill Cosby feels the same way; is he a racist, too?

Bill Cosby does not feel the same way as you.
--
---
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mxsmanic

Dave Frightens Me writes:

They are just as often white as black.

Where did I say anything about them being white or black?

Bill Cosby does not feel the same way as you.

Are you sure?

Old August 29th, 2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
B Vaughan

On 29 Aug 2006 19:22:23 +0100, des small
wrote:

B writes:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:57:04 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

Old languages are generally much more complex that modern
languages. Certainly, Old English is more complex than Modern
English.

Most languages tend to get simplified over time. Both Chinese and
English illustrate this pattern, as do other Germanic languages and
Romance languages.

No they don't and no they don't. Chinese is arguably acquiring some
morphology and English phrasal verbs are notoriously confusing to
non-native speakers.

Neither of these contradicts what I said. Chinese once had a
considerably more complicated grammar than it has now, and English has
always had those modal verbs. They're a typically Germanic feature.

Chinese is simple in that it doesn't rely on case endings and
declensions and such.

It once had a much more complicated grammar.

Inflectional morphology isn't all of grammar, and Chinese syntax isn't
considered simple by Sinologists.

It once had all that syntax *plus* inflections.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 23:04:31 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

They are just as often white as black.

Where did I say anything about them being white or black?

Read upstream if you can't remember.

Why not post for quality and not quantity?

Bill Cosby does not feel the same way as you.

Are you sure?

Yes, of that I am. A rich black would not feel the same as a poor
white.
--
---
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mxsmanic

Dave Frightens Me writes:

Read upstream if you can't remember.

I can't remember something that I never said. Show me the post.

Why not post for quality and not quantity?

I do.

Yes, of that I am. A rich black would not feel the same as a poor
white.

Why do you insist on race as a factor?

Old August 30th, 2006, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:54:21 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

Read upstream if you can't remember.

I can't remember something that I never said. Show me the post.

Read upstream. It's all in this thread.

Yes, of that I am. A rich black would not feel the same as a poor
white.

Why do you insist on race as a factor?

I never did, you brought Bill Cosby into this.
--
---