Car Hire

Old January 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
db[_2_]

Default Car Hire

Hi
I'm going to Orlando later on in January. I want a car for the 14 days that
I am there. Would I be better off waiting until I get there to hire a car,
or should I book up in the UK before I leave. I'm probably going to travel
with Virgin. They do give you a free car but you have to pay about £250 for
insurance which I realise is a necessity. I don't need to get a car at the
airport because Virgin give free transfers so I should be able to get one
the day after I arrive. Can anyone advise me on my best plan of action and
also what pitfalls should I be aware of?
Many thanks
Dave

Old January 4th, 2008, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"db" schrieb

Would I be better off waiting until I get there to hire a car,
or should I book up in the UK before I leave.

Check www.bnm.com and www.aamemebersclub.com (or other
automobile club, if you are a member), and book on the internet.
It's most unlikely that you get a better rate anywhere.

Can anyone advise me on my best plan of action and
also what pitfalls should I be aware of?

Make sure to get insurance (LDW - anything else will probably
be covered by your credit card, but have a look at the fineprint
there, too)

Jochen
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"db" wrote:
I'm going to Orlando later on in January. I want a car for the 14 days
that I am there. Would I be better off waiting until I get there to hire a
car, or should I book up in the UK before I leave. I'm probably going
to travel with Virgin. They do give you a free car but you have to pay
about £250 for insurance which I realise is a necessity. I don't need to
get a car at the airport because Virgin give free transfers so I should
be able to get one the day after I arrive. Can anyone advise me on my
best plan of action and also what pitfalls should I be aware of?

You can, and should, boook online directly with a national or local
agency. Check out this webpage on Expedia-UK to get an idea of the
prices... http://www.expedia.co.uk/index/usa/f...-car-hire.aspx
then the websites of the agencies that look promising. Do a Google
search for local agencies. "Enterprise" may not show up on Expedia,
but they are quire reasonable and will pick you up and drop you off.
I recommend getting collision damage waiver (CDW) coverage. Even
if not required, it may save you from headaches after you return home.

Old January 4th, 2008, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"Jochen Kriegerowski" wrote in message
"db" schrieb

Would I be better off waiting until I get there to hire a car, or should
I book up in the UK before I leave.

You should book before you go an get an 'everthing' included rate. It will
cost you much more on arrival

Check www.bnm.com and www.aamemebersclub.com (or other
automobile club, if you are a member), and book on the internet.
It's most unlikely that you get a better rate anywhere.

Can anyone advise me on my best plan of action and also what pitfalls
should I be aware of?

Make sure to get insurance (LDW - anything else will probably
be covered by your credit card, but have a look at the fineprint
there, too)

No if he's a Brit it wont. GB credit cards give you nothing in this respect

tim

Old January 4th, 2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"tim....." schrieb

No if he's a Brit it wont. GB credit cards give you nothing in this
respect

Oh, is that right? My German ones do so I thought it was the same
all over Europe.

Jochen
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_3_]

Jochen Kriegerowski wrote:

Can anyone advise me on my best plan of action and
also what pitfalls should I be aware of?

Make sure to get insurance (LDW - anything else will probably
be covered by your credit card, but have a look at the fineprint
there, too)

Car rental companies have different ways of squeezing money out of
customers. They have their rental rates, mileage rates and insurance, so
you usually have to look at all three to figure out which is going to be
the cheapest.
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"db" wrote:

Hi
I'm going to Orlando later on in January. I want a car for the 14 days that
I am there. Would I be better off waiting until I get there to hire a car,
or should I book up in the UK before I leave. I'm probably going to travel
with Virgin. They do give you a free car but you have to pay about £250 for
insurance which I realise is a necessity. I don't need to get a car at the
airport because Virgin give free transfers so I should be able to get one
the day after I arrive. Can anyone advise me on my best plan of action and
also what pitfalls should I be aware of?
Many thanks
Dave

Absolutely reserve a car before you arrive in Orlando. When you get
there, you will not be in a position to find the best deal on a rental
car and as a result, you will pay top dollar and have less selection of
cars to rent. Especially in January which is a popular time for people
to visit Florida.
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maurice ON4BAM

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 19:00:33 GMT, "db" wrote:

Hi
I'm going to Orlando later on in January. I want a car for the 14 days that
I am there. Would I be better off waiting until I get there to hire a car,
or should I book up in the UK before I leave. I'm probably going to travel
with Virgin. They do give you a free car but you have to pay about £250 for
insurance which I realise is a necessity. I don't need to get a car at the
airport because Virgin give free transfers so I should be able to get one
the day after I arrive. Can anyone advise me on my best plan of action and
also what pitfalls should I be aware of?

Try www.holidayautos.co.uk/ They are bokers and may give you the best
deal. I'm in Belgium andon their Belgian site they inlude full LDW,
unlimited mileage, free 2nd driver... Only thing is you only know who
you hire from after you book the car. THe work with the major
companies though.

Bye Maurice
--
Happy holidays
Hamradio: ON4BAM / M0CIL / 9H3Z http://www.on4bam.com/
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
db[_2_]

"db" wrote in message
Hi
I'm going to Orlando later on in January. I want a car for the 14 days
that I am there. Would I be better off waiting until I get there to hire a
car, or should I book up in the UK before I leave. I'm probably going to
travel with Virgin. They do give you a free car but you have to pay about
£250 for insurance which I realise is a necessity. I don't need to get a
car at the airport because Virgin give free transfers so I should be able
to get one the day after I arrive. Can anyone advise me on my best plan of
action and also what pitfalls should I be aware of?
Many thanks
Dave

Thanks for all your advice guys. I will book up before I leave for my
holiday

Dave

Old January 5th, 2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

"db" wrote in message
Hi
I'm going to Orlando later on in January. I want a car for the 14 days
that I am there. Would I be better off waiting until I get there to hire a
car, or should I book up in the UK before I leave. I'm probably going to
travel with Virgin. They do give you a free car but you have to pay about
£250 for insurance which I realise is a necessity. I don't need to get a
car at the airport because Virgin give free transfers so I should be able
to get one the day after I arrive. Can anyone advise me on my best plan of
action and also what pitfalls should I be aware of?
Many thanks
Dave

One more thing -- rental companies tend to be set up for pick up/drop off at
the airport, so you could pay more getting one in town. Don't get too
attached to the idea of using your free transfers.