rail passes question!

Old June 25th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Lennart Petersen

skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Jean S. Barto wrote:
Thanks for the advice, everyone--guess I'll have to carry both
passports
with me during my trip, and be prepared to present my US passport on
the
train as required--and use the Irish passport at passport control
(whichever
ones are left) as required.

You must have your real passport with you anyway, because if you are a US
citizen (even if you are also a citizen of some other country) holding a
US
passport it is illegal to enter the US by showing any other passport.

"Real" passport. Irish passports are real passports, too. You're
correct that the holder must have a US passport in order to return to
the US, but you could have probably used a better word other than
"real".

And I guess the o.p is to be regarded as an Irishman and Irish citizen as
well as an American.
As I can see some people here seem to regard the Irish citizenship as a
secondary thing.

Old June 25th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Hatunen

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:44:27 GMT, "Lennart Petersen"
wrote:

"Hatunen" skrev i meddelandet
.. .
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:46:19 +0000 (UTC), Juliana L Holm
wrote:

German Rail passes which I got with no passport number on them. The first
time I used them, they put the passport number on them.

Huh. The German rail passes are available to all comers so why
would a passport even be necessary?

-------------
It's personal and sold only to people permanently residing outside Europe.

Uh. I thought Germans could buy them. Learn something new every
day.

Thus it must have the holders name and passport number (eventually an ID)
The similar thing for Europeans is "EuroDomino Germany", not available for
German residents thus a name and passport or ID is required for use.

I knew about Domino.

Old June 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Miguel Cruz

Miguel Cruz wrote:
Jean S. Barto wrote:
Thanks for the advice, everyone--guess I'll have to carry both passports
with me during my trip, and be prepared to present my US passport on the
train as required--and use the Irish passport at passport control (whichever
ones are left) as required.

You must have your real passport with you anyway, because if you are a US
citizen (even if you are also a citizen of some other country) holding a US
passport it is illegal to enter the US by showing any other passport.

"Real" passport. Irish passports are real passports, too. You're
correct that the holder must have a US passport in order to return to
the US, but you could have probably used a better word other than
"real".

Surely you've read enough of my posts to know that was not my meaning.

I simply meant the passport that the poster has always used in the past for
travel, rather than a secondary one obtained as a result of a distant
connection.

miguel
Old June 25th, 2005, 10:28 PM

You must have your real passport with you anyway, because if you are a US
citizen (even if you are also a citizen of some other country) holding a US
passport it is illegal to enter the US by showing any other passport.

"Real" passport. Irish passports are real passports, too. You're
correct that the holder must have a US passport in order to return to
the US, but you could have probably used a better word other than
"real".

Surely you've read enough of my posts to know that was not my meaning.

I simply meant the passport that the poster has always used in the past for
travel, rather than a secondary one obtained as a result of a distant
connection.

I did. But others might not have understood it. Sometimes, people
just need to be a bit more sensitive to the other peoples' feelings.
To refer to an American version of something as being "real" versus
it's non-American counterpart contributes to the "ugly American"
stereotype. I'm just commenting that a better phrase would have been a
bit more friendly sounding.

Old June 26th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Juliana L Holm

In rec.travel.europe Hatunen wrote:
I cannot vouch for Eurail as I have never used them. I have, however, used
German Rail passes which I got with no passport number on them. The first
time I used them, they put the passport number on them.

Huh. The German rail passes are available to all comers so why
would a passport even be necessary?

Nope. There are different kinds of rail passes, including one only available
to people who live outside Europe.

Julie
--
Julie
**********
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:11 PM
mark

Regarding passport controls, there are none inside the Schengen area
(most of continental Europe, with the exception of Switzerland at the
moment - though that may have changed by the time you arrive).

As an American citizen, you don't need a visa to enter the EU, and you
can stay for up to 90 days. Obviously if you want to stay over 90 days
then I'd have thought you should probably enter the EU on your Irish
visa, though I'm not sure how that works out with border controls. (Can
you use an American passport to leave America, and then use an Irish
passport when you land in the EU???)

The Interrail (EU citizens only) pass is significantly cheaper than the
Eurail pass (non-EU citizens only), but obviously if you're not
resident in the EU then you can't get one. You can only buy a Eurrail
pass with a non-EU passport, so I'd have thought you'd have to show
your American passport when requested. If they looked closely
(unlikely) then things might get a bit dodgy. Better err on the side of
caution.

Hope you have a great trip

Old June 27th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Lennart Petersen

"mark" skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...
Regarding passport controls, there are none inside the Schengen area
(most of continental Europe, with the exception of Switzerland at the
moment - though that may have changed by the time you arrive).

As an American citizen, you don't need a visa to enter the EU, and you
can stay for up to 90 days. Obviously if you want to stay over 90 days
then I'd have thought you should probably enter the EU on your Irish
visa, though I'm not sure how that works out with border controls. (Can
you use an American passport to leave America, and then use an Irish
passport when you land in the EU???)

The Interrail (EU citizens only) pass is significantly cheaper than the
Eurail pass (non-EU citizens only), but obviously if you're not
resident in the EU then you can't get one.

You can only buy a Eurrail
pass with a non-EU passport,

-----------------------
Sure you can buy Eurrail as a European citizen assuming you've been
permanently (for at least 6 months residing outside Europe)

Old June 27th, 2005, 08:38 PM
S Viemeister

mark wrote:

Can
you use an American passport to leave America, and then use an Irish
passport when you land in the EU???

Yes.

The Interrail (EU citizens only) pass is significantly cheaper than the
Eurail pass (non-EU citizens only), but obviously if you're not
resident in the EU then you can't get one. You can only buy a Eurrail
pass with a non-EU passport, so I'd have thought you'd have to show
your American passport when requested. If they looked closely
(unlikely) then things might get a bit dodgy. Better err on the side of
caution.

It's not citizenship, but _residence_, which determines your eligibility
for the various passes.