Cell Phone Service to Set Sail!

Old March 16th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Cell Phone Service to Set Sail!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from AT&T Wireless and thought it would
be of interest. I was interviewed today on this subject. It will be
interesting to see how the article turns out tomorrow. If you have
missed any of my news' postings, they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Cell Phone Service to Set Sail

AT&T Wireless and Maritime Telecommunications Network Join to Make
Wireless Phone Service Available on Cruise Ships

Announcement is a First for the U.S. Wireless Industry

MIRAMAR, Fla. & REDMOND, Wash. March 16, 2004
In a first for the U.S. wireless industry, AT&T Wireless (NYSE: AWE)
and Maritime Telecommunications Network (MTN) announced today that
cruise ship passengers may soon enjoy the convenience of using their
wireless phones while at sea.

The companies have formed a joint venture, Wireless Maritime Services,
to develop and launch an innovative and affordable communications
offering that will rely on a combination of satellite and wireless
services to provide the cruise line industry and its passengers with
on-board wireless service. The joint venture will combine MTN's
expertise in providing satellite services to the cruise industry with
AT&T Wireless' expertise in delivering wireless services to consumer
and business travelers. Financial terms were not disclosed.

"We look forward to our joint venture with AT&T Wireless delivering
truly global mobile service to ships in international waters," said
David Kagan, Chief Executive Officer of MTN. "Using this service,
staying in touch will be as convenient for cruise ship passengers as
pressing the send key on their own mobile phone."

"We will make it possible for cruise passengers to place and receive
calls, use short message service, and access the Internet using their
own wireless phones, just as they do at home," added Jordan Roderick,
President of AT&T Wireless International. "We offer our customers the
largest global voice and data coverage area of any North American
carrier, and through this agreement we hope to extend service to the
high seas."

Today's announcement is in keeping with MTN's goal of offering only
the most innovative and versatile communications capabilities to its
clients. By entering into this joint venture, MTN -- known for such
industry firsts as its Internet Cafes, WiFi, and newspaper service at
sea -- will bring wireless communications to passengers' own phones.
This will enable MTN to offer its clients, including virtually all of
the premier passenger cruise corporations, new and exciting ways to
communicate instantly and reliably on board vessels from all corners
of the world.

MTN, based in Miramar, Florida, is the leading provider of
satellite-based communications, networking, and other services to the
cruise and offshore oil and gas industries. AT&T Wireless, based in
Redmond, Washington, provides extensive wireless coverage in North
America, including advanced voice and data services throughout much of
the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

AT&T Wireless uses GSM technology, the global standard for wireless
communications, which serves nearly 70 percent of the world's wireless
users. The company has an ever-growing list of roaming agreements
around the world, currently enabling its customers with GSM/GPRS
devices to make voice calls in more than 130 countries and access data
services in more than 50 countries. In addition, many subscribers to
wireless carriers outside the U.S. can use their GSM phones to roam on
AT&T Wireless' network when visiting the U.S. and parts of the
Caribbean. These subscribers may also be able to take advantage of the
new offering from Wireless Maritime Services.

The companies are currently working with several cruise lines and
expect to introduce the service later this year.

About Maritime Telecommunications Network

Maritime Telecommunications Network, Inc. (MTN), the leader in
maritime communications, provides broadband solutions for voice, data,
Internet and compressed video services to the cruise and offshore
industries using state-of-the-art VSAT technology. MTN is focused on
cost-effective, high-speed satellite solutions while maintaining the
highest standards of quality and availability. MTN's Digital Seas
Internet product, the first Information Technology concession,
provides turnkey Internet Cafes and Wi-Fi Hot Spots to the cruise and
offshore Industries. MTN was acquired last year by an investor group
led by Falconhead Capital. More information on MTN is available at
www.mtnsat.com.

About AT&T Wireless

AT&T Wireless (NYSE: AWE - News) is the second-largest wireless
carrier, based on revenues, in the United States. With 21.980 million
subscribers as of December 31, 2003, and revenues of more than $16.6
billion over the past four quarters, AT&T Wireless delivers advanced
high-quality mobile wireless communications services, voice and data,
to businesses and consumers, in the U.S. and internationally. More
information on AWS is available at www.attwireless.com.

Forward Looking Statements

This press release contains "forward-looking statements" which are
based on management's beliefs as well as on a number of assumptions
concerning future events made by management with information that is
currently available to management. Forward-looking statements may
include, without limitation, management's expectations regarding: our
future financial and operating performance and financial condition,
including the company's outlook for the fiscal year 2004 and
subsequent periods; our plans to evaluate strategic alternatives and
the outcome of that evaluation; subscriber growth; industry
conditions; the strength of our balance sheet; our liquidity and needs
for additional financing; and our ability to increase revenue, margins
and operating free cash flow.

Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such
forward-looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance
and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many
of which are outside AT&T Wireless' control, that could cause actual
results to differ materially from such statements. Without limitation
these factors include: the risks associated with the implementation of
our technology migration strategy, our plans to evaluate strategic
alternatives, our ability to continue to reduce costs and increase the
efficiency of our distribution channels, the potential competitive
impacts of industry consolidation or alternative technologies,
potential impacts on revenue and ARPU from competitive pricing and
slowing penetration in the wireless industry, the effects of vigorous
competition in the markets in which we operate, the risk of decreased
consumer spending due to softening economic conditions, acts of
terrorism, and consumer response to new service offerings.

For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a
difference, please see AT&T Wireless' filings with the Securities and
Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading
"Additional Factors That May Affect Our Business, Future Operating
Results and Financial Condition" and "Forward Looking Statements" in
its quarterly report on Form 10-Q filed on November 14, 2003.

Old March 16th, 2004, 10:03 PM

I, too, was interviewed today on this subject! Ray, if you see
anything in print, do let us know!

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Ray Goldenberg wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from AT&T Wireless and thought it would
be of interest. I was interviewed today on this subject. It will be
interesting to see how the article turns out tomorrow. snip

Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Cell Phone Service to Set Sail

AT&T Wireless and Maritime Telecommunications Network Join to Make
Wireless Phone Service Available on Cruise Ships

Announcement is a First for the U.S. Wireless Industry

rest of article snipped

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old March 17th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Mike Cordelli

Gee, wonder if they will be included minutes for AT&T customers (ha ha ha
ha) or will they be on their international roaming at $1.29 a minute?

There are still many people in this country without a GSM telephone (say
everybody on Verizon and Sprint for example) so I'm betting there will be a
big phone rental business on ships too.

Old March 17th, 2004, 02:03 AM
MZT

Oh no!!! I love my cell phone but somehow I always enjoy the week that I
have no service. I know I can keep it off, but it will be so tempting. Can
you imagine what it will be like by the pool listening to people chat on
their phones. Yikes :-)

Old March 17th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Dick Goldhaber

I can see it now. It's Jumbo Jackpot Bingo for all of the marbles and they
have already called 51 numbers and suddenly someone's cell phone rings.

It isn't progress. Almost 35 years ago my wife and I were on Leonardo da
Vinci when we were paged to the radio room for a phone call. It seems that
my in-laws didn't like the way my wife looked when we left New York and were
just checking but it scared the whoozis out of us..

Same stuff, different day.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old March 17th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Brian K

I use a cell phone too, but there are times when it's just not
appropriate. With this new technology now, I guess we can look forward
to some jadrool with a cell phone talking so loud in the ship's dining
room that everyone can hear. Hopfully the engeneers with include some
dead zones on the ship, like the theater, dinning room, library.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old March 17th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Lunyma

Can
you imagine what it will be like by the pool listening to people chat on
their phones. Yikes :-)

Not YIKES.... YUCK!!!!!!

Old March 17th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Bob and Amy

Why do so many people feel the need to have a cell phone and/or an
internet connection while they are on a cruise ship?
You are on vacation, for Christ's sake!
Believe me, people can do without you for 7 days!
B&A

Old March 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM
clint

The most intelligent post all year! Thank you!!! I see cellphone on deck and
throw em in the sea!!!!!!!!!!!!