Cell Phone Service to Set Sail!

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Mike Cordelli

Default Cell Phone Service to Set Sail!

Because people have family, kids, jobs, etc.

Not everybody can detach themselves from the world for a week or two and not
have any contact.

"Bob and Amy" wrote in message
Why do so many people feel the need to have a cell phone and/or an
internet connection while they are on a cruise ship?
You are on vacation, for Christ's sake!
Believe me, people can do without you for 7 days!
B&A

Old March 17th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Juliana L Holm

Bob and Amy wrote:
Why do so many people feel the need to have a cell phone and/or an
internet connection while they are on a cruise ship?
You are on vacation, for Christ's sake!
Believe me, people can do without you for 7 days!

One other that has not been listed:

Elderly Parents.

I like to always be accessible in case of an emergency. Or a death in the
family.

Thankfully, my parents and my husbands are relatively young (70s) and fairly
healthy, although one had a health scare this year. If my father in law goes
into surgery I want to know about it and know how he came out of it.

--
Julie
**********
Old March 17th, 2004, 04:52 PM
RELLIE A

Cell Phone Service to Set Sail!
Oh my, this is the worst news I've heard yet regarding changes in the cruise
industry.
I remember our first cruise on the Galaxy to Alaska in 1998 and how much I
loved not being 'tethered to to a ringing telephone'. 7 glorious days of no
phones.
Sitting on a balcony sailing away from the the world and escaping the constant
barrage of noise and distraction is what makes cruising more appealing than
vacationing at a land resort.
If I have to listen to onboard neighbors jabber on cell phones like I do at
Starbucks I'll just stop cruising.
For me vacations are a chance to vacate, to empty oneself and restore the
spirit.

Cell phones are a bad call for the cruise industry. The $9.50 a minute shore to
shore in case of emergency works just fine, or folks can stay in touch with the
office and loved ones by email.
Just leave all cell phones at home so the rest of us can get some peace at sea.

Old March 17th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Mike Cordelli

It's not the cell phones causing issues. You have never heard me use a cell
phone on a cruise ship because I don't do it around the pool, at dinner,
etc. It's the people using them.

It's the same thing with the FRS radios or a CD player or anything else that
makes noise, there is an appropriate place and way to use them, and then
there is an obnoxious way.

Old March 17th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Mike Cordelli

Love this line:

The service will work with AT&T Wireless phones, and may also work with
other carriers' handsets using the cellphone standard called global system
for mobile communications, or GSM, which is common in Europe and is used by
U.S. carriers Cingular Wireless and T-Mobile USA.

Whoops, seems they forgot to mention AT&T, who is rolling out the service.

"Lee Lindquist" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:44:28 -0800, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:03:29 -0600, wrote:

I, too, was interviewed today on this subject! Ray, if you see
anything in print, do let us know!

Hi Katherine,

One of the rtc's just wrote and said that I was quoted in the Wall
Street Journal. I have not seen the article so I don't know if you
were in that article or another one.

Here's a (long) link:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...aqyFm4,00.html

It will be interesting to see how much is costs per minute,
and what sort of coverage there is within a ship.

--
- Lee

Old March 18th, 2004, 05:13 PM
George in NY

I think internet service on a ship is a tremendous plus. I am not so sure
about cell phone service! It is a comfort to be able to access and check on
matters at home while vacationing from time to time. In example while
sailing Dawn last November my home had a malfunction of the heating system.
The friend I had stopping by to check the house was able to advise me of
situation and steps they had taken and I was able to make decisions
regarding situation. Knowing that house was being checked and that all was
ok made for a much more relaxed cruise for me.

Internet access also allows me to maintain control over important fiance
matters while at sea from time to time. Even though I rarely need to make a
transaction is nice to know that I have the ability to do almost everything
I do from home while at sea.

Cell phones are another thing. I admit that I enjoy being able to make a
call or two when in port from cell I would not necessarily look forward to
phone service at sea, at least not in public areas. Cell phone manners are
poor in most areas of country and would only be the same poolside, at dinner
etc.

George in NY

Old March 18th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:13:32 GMT, "George in NY"
wrote:

Internet access also allows me to maintain control over important fiance
matters while at sea from time to time.

Hi George,

I agree 100%. You should always maintain control over your fiance
while you at sea. vbg

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Earl J. Morris

wrote:

I think internet service on a ship is a tremendous plus. I am not so =

sure
about cell phone service! It is a comfort to be able to access and check=

on
matters at home while vacationing from time to time. In example while
sailing Dawn last November my home had a malfunction of the heating =

system.

Greetings
In May we will be sailing on the Dawn Princess to Alaska and hope to be=
able to use the Internet.

Did you use your own laptop and do you remember the cost involved?

Thank you
Earl

Old March 18th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Brian K

It's far easier to use the ship's Internet Cafe. Not all ships have
data ports in rooms. Your dial up software might not be able to find
the best phone number. Most dial-up "get phone numbers" depend on City,
State or City, Country land based locations. I've yet to see one that
requests latitude & longitude instead of zip code. Ultimately you are
going through the ship's satellite internet server link. So, in the
long run it's much easier to use desktop computers in the Internet Cafe
that are already setup and configured for the satellite uplink.

When in doubt, check with your Princess Cruise Rep.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.