NYC subway, New Orleans or Wash. DC?

Old October 11th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Pan

Default NYC subway, New Orleans or Wash. DC?

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:35:23 GMT, Rita wrote:

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:36:02 GMT, Pan wrote:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/subway/closings.htm

I still don't get from those links which _stations_ don't have any
manned token booths anymore. It's unclear how many of the listed
stations previously had more than one manned token booth.

Yes, it is not at all clear. I expect people in the area are aware
of this -- I have read some complaints from people who have to
walk far out of their way to find the open booth. The big complaint
is that fewer booths with real live people in them means less
safety at night.

I agree. It would seem to be an inarguable point.

Some stations are indeed large and have multiple
entry points. So one has to know one's way around, I guess.
And calling these "token" booths is outdated I just remembered.
There no longer are tokens Only Metro Cards.

There are very few pulse-dial phones anymore, yet we still dial phone
numbers and don't press them. :-)

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old October 13th, 2003, 05:40 AM
David J. Greenberger

Rita writes:

Some stations no longer have token booths, only Metro card
machines. There has been a lot of hoopla about this as people feel
these stations are no longer very safe. Again, those who use the
subways daily are aware of the glitches. A visitor will not be.

Incorrect. Every station has at least one full-time booth (except for
the three stations in the system that aren't open around the clock,
which of course don't have staffed booths when the stations themselves
are closed, and the unstaffed northbound-only part-time Aqueduct
Racetrack station).

The booths that were recently closed were /part-time/ booths. They
weren't open at night anyway.

The hoopla was fearmongering to the uninformed -- and, apparently, it
worked. Whether a staffed booth provides useful security to begin
with is questionable, and even if it does, these booths were only
staffed during daytime hours, in many cases during rush hours only.
--
David J. Greenberger
New York, NY