VISA Cops Imprison Innocent UK Tourists

Old April 19th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Keith Willshaw

Default VISA Cops Imprison Innocent UK Tourists

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Bert Hyman wrote:
Besides, officious bureaucrats are what you find working customs and
immigration lines everywhere.

And I mean -everywhere.

Nope.

In Ghana the guy gave me cab fare because I didn't have any local money

and
it was pouring rain.

In Iraqi Kurdistan they chat amiably and give you a cup of tea while they
process your passport.

In Singapore they smile and give you candy.

But execute you if they find more than 25 grams of hard drugs on your
person.

Keith

Old April 19th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Keith Willshaw

"mtravelkay" wrote in message
m...
James Robinson wrote:

I don't need a visa to vacation in the UK. If I went to the UK without a
visa and told immigration at LHR that I was there to work buildng
bridges, what would happen? Would they issue me a visa on the spot?

No you'd be detained overnight at Heathrow Central then deported

Keith

Old April 19th, 2004, 08:02 AM
mtravelkay

James Robinson wrote:

I don't need a visa to vacation in the UK. If I went to the UK without a
visa and told immigration at LHR that I was there to work buildng
bridges, what would happen? Would they issue me a visa on the spot?

No you'd be detained overnight at Heathrow Central then deported

Is that just for immigration violators or do they also put other
criminals there?

Old April 19th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Miguel Cruz

Charles Newman wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" wrote:
But not necessarily beyond their capabilities to compromise the proxy
server. Or to have access to keystroke records from the machine. And
foreign law enforcement agencies do cooperate on a regular basis, though
probably not on something as rinky-dink as this.

However, in the thread about mytravelkay, and Cisco, I mentioned there
how keystroke loggers can be detected and detroyed. I have already urged
that he use such programs to annihalate any keystroke loggers that they
may have placed on his work computer. I once again post the following URLS:

http://www.safer-networking.org/
http;//www.spycop.com

Keep in mind that there are hardware keystroke loggers as well. Little
things that go between the plug and the machine, or inside the machine. No
software will detect those.

miguel
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Miguel Cruz

mtravelkay wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
mtravelkay wrote:
He was treated as a human being and sent to a jail to be detained with
other people that also violated immigration law.

"Immigration law" is overbroad and deliberately clouds the issue.

If someone who falls behind on their property tax payments is put in
facilities used for mass murderers, do you just say "he was treated like
other people who violated state law"?

There is no detention of people who don't pay property taxes, their
property would normally go through the foreclosure process.

Please indulge my example just a bit.

The US doesn't have separate detention facilities in all locations for
people entering the US without the proper visa, and they may be housed in
local jails. it might be shocking to you, but in the US, people that are
arrested for being drunk got to the same jail as those just arrested for
murder.

Maybe in really small Andy Griffith towns, but in a city/county of any size
there are different sections of the local jail for violent vs nonviolent
people.

miguel
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:29 AM
michael thomas

He was not breaking the law. He stated the purpose of entry. He did
not have the appropriate visa for they type of entry. He never lied to
anyone (no consul did an interview).

He was denied entry. He was detained pending voluntary departure (he
was not deported).

The inspecting officer has full authority to admit in the proper status
without a visa. He is a low level bureaucrat. If he admits without
proper visa he will likely get a bad job evaluation and reduced
promotion prospects.

Old April 19th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Simon Elliott

Keith Willshaw writes
Only an officious bureaucrat would grab a person who is allowed into the
country without a visa when on holidays, and incarcerate him, treat him
like a general criminal, and deport him because he was working as a
journalist on this particular trip. Whatever happened to simply issuing
him the appropriate visa on arrival?

Try that approach at Heathrow and you'l get the same response.

Not all the time. I've sometimes found immigration officers at LHR to be
extremely reasonable.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old April 19th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Miss L. Toe

James Robinson wrote:

I don't need a visa to vacation in the UK. If I went to the UK without a
visa and told immigration at LHR that I was there to work buildng
bridges, what would happen? Would they issue me a visa on the spot?

No you'd be detained overnight at Heathrow Central then deported

Unless you arrived at Newhaven, then you would be put in a taxi to the
detention centre at Gatwick, and you could get the taxi to stop down the
road and just walk away :-)

Old April 19th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Miss L. Toe

In the case of Canada, for many types of jobs you can get a work visa at
the border. No need to arrange it ahead of time.

For all jobs, and for people from any country? Or are you talking about
a US citizen getting a qualified job under NAFTA?

That happened to me a couple of years ago - A brit wanting entry for 2 days
business trip that they decided to classify as work, they sold me a 1 year
work permit for 100 dollars.
(there were qualifications required, like a degree or 10 (i think) years
experiance).