TSA advises parachutes as carry on.

Old September 19th, 2003, 09:04 PM
me

Default TSA advises parachutes as carry on.

Okay, not exactly what many of you may be thinking. But...
After years of hassles in being allowed to carry them on,
now we're being recommended that we DO carry them on.

Taking Parachutes Along
As a result of USPA and PIA efforts, the Transportation Security
Administration has issued nationwide guidance to its screeners,
inspectors, and supervisors about the carriage of parachute rigs
on board commercial airlines. TSA's Aviation Directive AVO 6100-47
"Special Screening Procedures for Parachutes" was issued on August 18.
(The directive contains sensitive information and cannot be released.)
First and foremost, the directive makes it absolutely clear that the
TSA allows parachutes on board as both carry-on and checked items.
The directive also advises that some parachutes contain internal
components (AADs) that are also allowed and are not considered to
be hazardous. X-ray images of an AAD-equipped rig are also supplied.
Finally, the directive describes how screeners are to process parachute rigs.

http://www.uspa.org/news/current_news/carryons.htm
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Frank F. Matthews

I wonder if they also allow the knife you need to cut yourself loose if
the release jams on landing? FFM

Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:29 PM
me

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message . ..
I wonder if they also allow the knife you need to cut yourself loose if
the release jams on landing? FFM

Well, we don't exactly carry those. We have what's known as a
"cutaway" handle (which doesn't actually cut anything). However
there is a thing called a "hook knife" which is basically
a razor blade in a plastic sheath for trapping and cutting lines.
You can't cut your finger with it, much less anything larger.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:35 PM
mrtravel

the subject line

Permitting someone to carry a chute is not the same things a TSA
advising passengers carry them.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:09 PM
DALing

even the older capewell connections were pretty much immune to jamming (as
long as you could get your thumb into the lanyard)

"me" wrote in message
om...

. ..