Euro Down-Time to Visit?

Old June 15th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Default Euro Down-Time to Visit?

With the euro down to almost 1.2/dollar compared to 1.35/dollar a few
months ago,is now the right time to travel to Europe?Does anyone expect
the euro to continue down or bounce back up?
I want to fly to London for a few days then take the Eurostar to Paris
for several days.Can I buy a round-trip ticket that arrives in London
and departs Paris or must it be a one-way to London and a one-way back
from Paris?
My second trip would be to see Rome then Venice then Athens.What would
be the best way to go from Venice to Athens,by train or boat?

Old June 15th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

With the euro down to almost 1.2/dollar compared to 1.35/dollar a few
months ago,is now the right time to travel to Europe?Does anyone expect
the euro to continue down or bounce back up?

If you want to see Europe, don't get too hung up on the exchange rates.
They're not likely to change in a radical way anytime soon, certainly not
more than 10%... a lot less volatile than gasoline prices!

I want to fly to London for a few days then take the Eurostar to Paris
for several days.Can I buy a round-trip ticket that arrives in London
and departs Paris or must it be a one-way to London and a one-way back
from Paris?

No problem getting a round-trip ticket that flies into London and departs
from Paris. Most airline websites allow you to do that (choose the "more
options" and then "multi-city"). Doesn't seem to cost anymore either. The
one-way Eurostar trip will run from $100-150 one-way coach restricted fare
(no exchange or refund options). Check www.Eurostar.com. Don't bother with
their "rail insurance" option, which isn't too expensive but covers
reimbursement of tickets only if you file a police report, probably more
hassle than it's worth.

My second trip would be to see Rome then Venice then Athens.What would
be the best way to go from Venice to Athens,by train or boat?

Don't know, haven't been.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 15th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Mimi

wrote in message
oups.com...
With the euro down to almost 1.2/dollar compared to 1.35/dollar a few
months ago,is now the right time to travel to Europe?Does anyone expect
the euro to continue down or bounce back up?
I want to fly to London for a few days then take the Eurostar to Paris
for several days.Can I buy a round-trip ticket that arrives in London
and departs Paris or must it be a one-way to London and a one-way back
from Paris?
My second trip would be to see Rome then Venice then Athens.What would
be the best way to go from Venice to Athens,by train or boat?

Prices on the Eurostar get higher the closer you get to the departure date,
so buy that ticket as soon as possible. You want an open jaws ticket to
London, leaving from Paris. I almost always buy open jaws tickets because
they save the time and expense of returning to my starting point. And they
cost almost the same as a round-trip ticket.

As for getting from Venice to Athens, I think the best way is by plane.

Marianne