offshore snorkeling whitsundays - which island best?

Old July 11th, 2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
gofish

Default offshore snorkeling whitsundays - which island best?

I'm looking for recommendations of which islands have the best
snorkelling in the whitsundays? We will be staying for about a week in
late Aug/early Sept and while we'd love to take at least one day trip
on a boat to the outer reef, the rest of the time we'd like to be as
self sufficient as possible with regards to our access to good
snorkelling each day. Bush walking/other outdoor activities also
highly desired, but snorkelling is the main reason for our trip.
Researching this online is turning into a real nightmare because all
the info seems to be from resorts, all of which of course claim their
island is the best!

I'm wondering if Heron Island is ok? The fact that it's described as a
"true coral cay"... or is that just more advertising.

Thanks,
Kate

Old July 11th, 2008, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

I'm wondering if Heron Island is ok? The fact that it's described as a
"true coral cay"... or is that just more advertising.

Yes, Heron Island is a true coral cay (it isn't just advertising). The other
true coral cay that has accommodation is Green Island (off Cairns).

While there are of course many coral cays, the problem with coral cays is
that they are low and flat and generally fairly small, making them
unsuitable for building a resort. So it's really only a couple of the larger
ones that have silted up a lot with sand etc that can support a resort. So,
don't go to either of these coral cay islands with an expectation of a huge
island where you can do miles of bushwalking or loads of other things. You
go to these islands for their position on the reefs and associated diving
etc. According to Wikipedia, Heron Island is 800 metres x 300 metres with
the highest point of 3.6 metres with an area of 0.12 square kilometres. Also
according to Wikipedia, Green Island is 12 hectares. Since 100 hectares = 1
square kilometre, that suggests that they are both about the same size.

The other resorts are located on larger islands which are not coral cays,
usually the tops of undersea mountain ranges. This means they tend to have
high centre peaks and lots of coves and bays around them with bushwalking
tracks and sometimes golf courses etc. However, the coral immediately
offshore from them will be fringing reefs at best. So while you will get
plenty of the more traditional resort activities at these, the
diving/snorkelling won't be as good.

For comparison, Dunk Island is 10 square kilometres (a mix of national park
and freehold). Brampton Island is 4.6 square kilometeres (all national park
apart from the resort).

So, you do have to decide what activities are most important to you. If it's
snorkelling, go for the coral cay islands, but understand the limitations of
a small resort on a small island in terms of land-based activities.

Kerry

Old July 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mel[_5_]

"gofish" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations of which islands have the best
snorkelling in the whitsundays? We will be staying for about a week in
late Aug/early Sept and while we'd love to take at least one day trip
on a boat to the outer reef, the rest of the time we'd like to be as
self sufficient as possible with regards to our access to good
snorkelling each day. Bush walking/other outdoor activities also
highly desired, but snorkelling is the main reason for our trip.
Researching this online is turning into a real nightmare because all
the info seems to be from resorts, all of which of course claim their
island is the best!

I'm wondering if Heron Island is ok? The fact that it's described as a
"true coral cay"... or is that just more advertising.

Hi Kate.

I was last at Heron five years ago and while it is a coral cay, we still
needed to take paid boat trips to snorkel - there was very little to see in
close to the island. Also, you can walk around the entire island in less
than an hour so that rules out bushwalking. Thirdly, it isn't in the
Whitsundays (in case you're restricted to that area).

I'm not bagging the place as we had a wondeful holiday there. It's just that
it probably doesn't meet your criteria. The only other island I've visited
is Lady Elliott. It had better off-beach snorkelling than Heron but again is
very small and not in the Whitsundays.

Regards
Melanie