Rail Service in Spain

Old March 16th, 2009, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
michael osullivan

Default Rail Service in Spain

This fall I am thinking of going to Spain, and traveling on a EuroRail Pass.
What is the service like Madrid to Malaga, Malaga to Barcelona and Barcelona
to Madrid?
Is it worth traveling by rail versus flying?

Mike

Old March 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
zaax

michael osullivan wrote:

This fall I am thinking of going to Spain, and traveling on a
EuroRail Pass. What is the service like Madrid to Malaga, Malaga to
Barcelona and Barcelona to Madrid? Is it worth traveling by rail
versus flying?

Mike

Train is from city center to town center and the views are much better.

--
---
zaax
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Michael O'Sullivan:
This fall I am thinking of going to Spain, and traveling on a
EuroRail Pass.

No such thing. There used to be Eurailpasses and Europasses. Then
the Europass was renamed the Eurail Select Pass. In any case, if
you're only going to one country, why pay for a pass valid in other
countries?

What is the service like Madrid to Malaga, Malaga to Barcelona and Barcelona
to Madrid?

These routes are operated by AVE high-speed trains, which are essentially
the same as the French TGV, with a top speed of 186 mph. From Madrid
to either Malaga or Barcelona is about 3 hours. I haven't been there
since 1992, but back then the AVE commanded a premium price -- I don't
know if there's a surcharge if you have a pass.

In 1992 Spain required reservations for all long-distance trains, AVE or
not.

Is it worth traveling by rail versus flying?

I would certainly choose rail.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You don't SIT IN the traffic jam;

Old March 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

zaax wrote:

michael osullivan wrote:

This fall I am thinking of going to Spain, and traveling on a
EuroRail Pass. What is the service like Madrid to Malaga, Malaga to
Barcelona and Barcelona to Madrid? Is it worth traveling by rail
versus flying?

Mike

Train is from city center to town center and the views are much better.

Different. The view from an aircraft can be spectacular depending on
weather and proximity to a window. However, I think the train is a
no-brainer here, as there are fast AVE services between these cities.
City centre to city centre will be quicker (once you include check-in
etc.) by train.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)