Alitalia

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

Default Alitalia

if it was a 20kg purse...

"erilar" a écrit dans le message de
In article ,
"Runge14" wrote:

Of course !

"erilar" a écrit dans le message de

I can find no mention of purses. Is one allowed a purse?

Well , I wasn't allowed one at Heathrow a couple years ago.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

Old March 20th, 2009, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

Stop thinking and back to sleep.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:26:50 +0100, Tom P wrote:

erilar wrote:
For my sins, I am going to be traveling to and from Sicily soon on this
airline I am not familiar with. I have, however, read some bad things
about, among other things, their creative handling of checked luggage.
I will fly from Chicago and change planes in Rome. I don't check
luggage, particularly when changing planes,

but

I have just been looking at the carry-on rules on their website and it
says my carry-on cannot weigh more than 5 kg. I have never heard of
such a tiny weight limit. I can't even take a spare pair of shoes? The
size limit seems standard.

I can find no mention of purses. Is one allowed a purse?

Their website doesn't mention if you can take a coat or an umbrella
either.

I thought Alitalia was bankrupt?
--

Martin

Old March 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"Runge14" wrote:

if it was a 20kg purse...

I could manage quite a few kg between purse and pockets if necessary.
I've done it in the past. But I don't know how to get my usual 7 kg
carry-on to 5 kg. Shoes in my pockets are going to be rather obvious. .
..

Old March 21st, 2009, 07:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

Fascinating stuff from martin

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:49:49 -0000, "JohnT"
wrote:

. ..

erilar wrote:
For my sins, I am going to be traveling to and from Sicily soon on
this
airline I am not familiar with. I have, however, read some bad things
about, among other things, their creative handling of checked luggage.
I will fly from Chicago and change planes in Rome. I don't check
luggage, particularly when changing planes,

but

I have just been looking at the carry-on rules on their website and it
says my carry-on cannot weigh more than 5 kg. I have never heard of
such a tiny weight limit. I can't even take a spare pair of shoes? The
size limit seems standard.

I can find no mention of purses. Is one allowed a purse?

Their website doesn't mention if you can take a coat or an umbrella
either.

I thought Alitalia was bankrupt?

They were, but Italian sleight of hand plus Air France/KLM has resurrected
them. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7825612.stm

That explains why KLM/Air France are deep in the red again.

If you are bored on an Alitalia flight you can while away the time reading
the
dates engraved on the windows. I found one window engraved with 1969 on a
DC 9.
Not quite up to the Swiss Air DC9 that still had the original net luggage
racks.
--

Martin

Old March 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

On 19 Mar, 19:01, erilar wrote:
[...]

We once deliberately chose Alitalia for a comfortable scheduled
flight, Heathrow/Rome/Heathrow, paying over the odds for using
Heathrow and having midday-ish flights both ways.
Alitalia appeared to have a planned schedule of being precisely 2
hours late taking off both times, with zero advance notice or apology.
Never again.
Best of luck!

Surreyman
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article
,
Surreyman wrote:

We once deliberately chose Alitalia for a comfortable scheduled
flight, Heathrow/Rome/Heathrow, paying over the odds for using
Heathrow and having midday-ish flights both ways.
Alitalia appeared to have a planned schedule of being precisely 2
hours late taking off both times, with zero advance notice or apology.
Never again.
Best of luck!

I am definitely going to need it! I just got my updated flight
schedule, and after a REALLY long web search for a seating plan in a
plane Alitalia doesn't fly under the right designation, discovered that
the seat I have been assigned doesn't exist in that plane. What fun!

Old March 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

Yes martin, that was 30 years ago.
Thank you martin.
Good night martin.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 09:52:28 -0700 (PDT), Surreyman

wrote:

On 19 Mar, 19:01, erilar wrote:
[...]

When we used to travel to Rome frequently we noticed that Alitalia was
always 2
hours late, whilst in those days KLM was on time. We think KLM probably
had to
grease palms to get the cooperation needed to run on time.
--

Martin

Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

Yes martin, go on and on and on and on and on ....

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:48:03 -0500, erilar
wrote:

In article
,
Surreyman wrote:

We once deliberately chose Alitalia for a comfortable scheduled
flight, Heathrow/Rome/Heathrow, paying over the odds for using
Heathrow and having midday-ish flights both ways.
Alitalia appeared to have a planned schedule of being precisely 2
hours late taking off both times, with zero advance notice or apology.
Never again.
Best of luck!

I am definitely going to need it! I just got my updated flight
schedule, and after a REALLY long web search for a seating plan in a
plane Alitalia doesn't fly under the right designation, discovered that
the seat I have been assigned doesn't exist in that plane. What fun!

You got the outside toilet/bathroom seat.
--

Martin