Trenitalia site

Old March 24th, 2009, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Trenitalia site

Is there a trick to buying Italian train tix on this site?? I am
trying to
buy 2 tickets from Milan-Venice for May 1st (I know it is a holiday)
but both the 1st and 2nd class selections are greyed out. Does that
mean
they are sold out?? Or am I too far in advance?
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

Are you a registered user and logged in?
That date looks good on the US site. s

Old March 25th, 2009, 04:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

wrote in message
Is there a trick to buying Italian train tix on this site?? I am
trying to
buy 2 tickets from Milan-Venice for May 1st (I know it is a holiday)
but both the 1st and 2nd class selections are greyed out. Does that
mean
they are sold out?? Or am I too far in advance?

Finding tickets and putting them in the cart isn't the problem.

It's the lame San Paolo bank they use as fulfillment for paying which
doesn't seem to work with American credit cards.

I bought some tickets in 2007 with no problems.

But this time, it rejects the same card and then emails me to fax in my
tax number.

Apparently a common experience for those trying to book from the US.
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Piero

poldy ha scritto:

It's the lame San Paolo bank they use as fulfillment for paying which
doesn't seem to work with American credit cards.

Is a bad behaviour started recently by many online Italian paying
services :-(.
I'm Italian, but I own a VISA card issued by Barclays Bank (UK): is a
very good card, cheap (to be true, until recently was really free...)
and used by many people in Italy, but issued by a foreign bank...
Many italian online services started recently to refuse my card...
They claim that is to avoid problems with fake cards...
Barclays Bank now has opened an Italian office to transform their VISA
card in an Italian VISA card to avoid this trouble to customers (but
foreign cards are tax free, now I must pay a small tax every month...).
I know that is a big problem with foreign customers or travelers...
Normally only services intended for Italian people are with this
limitation...
E.g. I can't pay my electric bill with a foreign card...

Ciao, Piero.