Tips for visiting Bolivia?

Old October 7th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Ago

Default Tips for visiting Bolivia?

Hello,

I'm planning on traveling to Bolivia for one week in the late part of
November - unfortunatley pretty short... As I have never been in that
area of South America, I'd like some suggestions on what to do/where to
go. I'll be arriving in La Paz, and am planning on going from there to
lake Titicaca. Any recommendations for La Paz? How safe is the city?
Anything specific to see in the La Paz area? Any recommendations for
the lake Titicaca area? Places to stay? Things to do? Should I go
somewhere else instead? My main interests reside with discovering the
country and its people, and doing nature/landscape photography. Mt
travel companion is a native Spanish speaker.

Any tips and hints appreciated!

---Ago
Old October 7th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Richard Ferguson

You are probably aware of the recent problems with riots, etc. in
Bolivia. Violent demonstrations can occur, and you will want to stay
away from them, if you see them. I believe that they have also been
blocking highways. Not sure what will be going on in November.

Transportation is an issue in Bolivia, with bad roads and relatively
infrequent bus service. The further you get off the beaten track the
bigger the problem. Day tours can be a good alternative to public transport.

I can't remember the name of the ruins, but they are on the road to
Titicaca, predate the Inca ruins, worth seeing.

Not sure where else that you have been, but Bolivia is noticably poorer
than Ecuador or Mexico, probably the poorest country in South America,
but probably similar to Guatemala or Nicaragua. You may experience
culture shock.

Richard

Old October 7th, 2003, 08:23 PM
JohnM

In article , Ago
writes
Hello,

I'm planning on traveling to Bolivia for one week in the late part of
November - unfortunatley pretty short... As I have never been in that
area of South America, I'd like some suggestions on what to do/where to
go. I'll be arriving in La Paz, and am planning on going from there to
lake Titicaca. Any recommendations for La Paz? How safe is the city?
Anything specific to see in the La Paz area? Any recommendations for
the lake Titicaca area? Places to stay? Things to do? Should I go
somewhere else instead? My main interests reside with discovering the
country and its people, and doing nature/landscape photography. Mt
travel companion is a native Spanish speaker.

Any tips and hints appreciated!

---Ago

Like Richard said, the situation is a bit unstable at the mo' but
I suggest you have a look at my site under Travel/South American
travelogue with two chapters specially on La Paz and Titicaca.

La Paz has some really good museums (the Museum of Gold being a top
choice), the Valle da Luna outside the city (photos), the highest ski
resort in the world, at Chacaltaya, the pre-Inca city of Tiwanaku -
which is a must if you are a photographer - but you will find that the
city itself is actually very interesting and very pretty, surrounded by
mountains with the house lights sparkling at night. As for Titicaca
Crillon tours are expensive but they seem to have a monopoly of lake
tours - at least when I was there - so go with them to Copacabana and
saty at least one night there.

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul

Old October 9th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Cheryl

My teen daughter and I took a bus to Copacabana, then on to wherever we got
the train to Peru. We loved Bolivia best of all our visited countries in
S.A. (Colombia, Brazil, Peru, Argentina) because the people there were the
nicest of all and the souveniers were such a bargain. I think I enjoyed
Copacabana the most. I wandered out the first morning and found a large
kind of combination auditorium/tent where they had locals fixing various
food items. Pancakes at one, cafe au lait or eggs at another. It was
grand. Breakfast probably cost way less than $1 U.S. We loved LaPaz too.
As stated by others, avoid any demonstrations and be aware that pickpockets
are just the worst here...very poor people. They use knives to cut straps
or holes in backpacks. Be sure to use your money belt.

Talk, talk, talk to the locals. They are very outgoing.

I envy you...You have a marvelous experience coming.
news:061020032352474550%romain.agostini@sbcglobal. net...

Old October 14th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Colin J. Churcher

Let's get things straight. You can take a bus from La Paz to Copacabana and
another bus from Copscabana to Puno in Peru but there is no" train to Peru".
From Puno in Peru, on the shore of Lake Titicaca, it is possible to take a
train to the coast and also the Cuzco. While at Copacabana you shoudl visit
Sun Island, Isla del Sol, it is a magical place.

I understand that there have been serious riots in El Alto, close to la Paz
and many people have been killed by gunfire, might want to keep tabs on
this.

--
Colin J. Churcher,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada