"One bag" travel, which bag is best?

Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:53 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Larry in Berkeley

Default "One bag" travel, which bag is best?

RPSinha wrote:
[Reposted with enlarged group list. Please leave rec.travel.air intact,
I can only access replies there.]

I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on.

Many airlines are now enforcing the old rule that a carryon may not
weigh more than seven kilos. But they will check it if it does. You
may want to be ready to take out anything that you do not want checked.

Larry in Berkeley, California

Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
erilar[_1_]

In article .com,
"PeterL" wrote:

Miguel Cruz wrote:
"rascal" wrote:
Despite what the "travel experts" may say, carry your bag for a
couple of miles or so getting out of the airport and wheels become
more attractive.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which a wheeled bag is more attractive,
unless it is so heavy that you simply cannot lift it - such as an
equipment container on 4 casters.

Wait till you are 50 yrs old Miguel.

I'm 72 and wouldn't use a wheeled bag if it were free.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
rascal[_1_]

Yes, and that's a really good idea. I say shoot all the tourist as soon as
they show themselves. Carrying two bags should be prima fascia evidence of
tourism and give everyone the right to shoot them immediately. You surely
don't want to just wound them, so shooting to kill is the way to go.

"nobody" wrote in message
Miguel Cruz wrote:
I sometimes have to carry my luggage fairly long distances. For example,
last year I had to carry two bags (one large checked backpack, worn in
the back, one small carry-on backpack, worn in the front) from Istanbul
airport to the center of town because my ATM card had expired just

Remember that you cannot do that in the UK anymore. Police will shoot to
kill tourists with backpacks before they get a chance to ask any
questions (and this policy is approved/condoned by the Bliar government).

Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:53 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

After having spent a lot of my working life trotting around the globe
with conventional luggage, I tried using backpacks after retirement and
became an instant convert.

My favorite backpack has a large central compartment which zips open
around the entire front of the backpack for easy loading, and has an
accordian-style expansion section on the bottom which can be secured in
the closed position by a wraparound accordian zipper (one hopes that
description is understandable). Besides the large main compartment,
there is also a toiletries compartseveral and five separate smaller
zip-close compartments of various sizes. I bought this in a
street-front luggage store while passing through Hollywood CA for just
$30, and wish now that I had bought several.

I have on occasion (usually returning from trips wherein I overshopped)
had it loaded with over 50kg of miscellaney. On those occasions I
cinched up the hip-hugger part of the carry straps, and had little
trouble carrying it once I was up, balanced, and taking the weight
primarily on my hips and legs. I am 60+ years of age, and could never
manage that much weight with conventional luggage outside of a
smoothly-paved airport envirionment with luggage carts available.

I normally travel on short trips with the expansion section of the big
bag closed and the bag very lightly loaded. Packed this way, it can be
carry-on luggage. Sometimes on short trips I pack a smaller backpack
inside of the big one, and use the smaller one while shopping around
town or in other situations where I need to carry a small amount of
gear locally. If both the big bag and a supplemental smaller one end up
fully packed, I find that it is possible to carry both by putting the
smaller one on backwards as a front-pack.

The big backpack has attachment rings on the front of the shoulder
straps and I have attached carabiners to those rings. I occasionally
carry some items (e.g., a laptop & case) hanging in front from those
carabiners.

I also tend to carry a big multi-compartment fanny-pack; usully
positioned as a belly-bag or on one hip. I use that to carry items
which I might need while traveling (e.g., toiletries, paperback books,
travel docs & tickets, etc. etc.) but which would not fit conveniently
into my pockets.

Old August 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
Dave Frightens Me

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 01:23:29 +0800, Miguel Cruz
wrote:

"rascal" wrote:
Despite what the "travel experts" may say, carry your bag for a
couple of miles or so getting out of the airport and wheels become
more attractive.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which a wheeled bag is more attractive,
unless it is so heavy that you simply cannot lift it - such as an
equipment container on 4 casters.

I sometimes have to carry my luggage fairly long distances. For example,
last year I had to carry two bags (one large checked backpack, worn in
the back, one small carry-on backpack, worn in the front) from Istanbul
airport to the center of town because my ATM card had expired just
before the flight (who ever checks the expiration date on their ATM
card?), I didn't have any other form of money on me, and the only bank
that was prepared to sort me out was in the middle of town. Leaving
aside the stupidity of the situation I'd gotten myself into, it was
really no problem to do this - I just found some high ground, located
the coastline, followed it, and a few hours later I was in Sultanahmet.

Oh ****, that's a long way!

Are you seriously telling us you only had one card? I have 3, plus a
bit of cash at any time.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:08 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
Dan Stephenson

I've found that if you pack light you can make do with a daypack. I
bought a big Gallileo backpack some years back, and now only use the
daypack that came with it. Note that this isn't a booksack like kids
use at school. Overall if possible I recommend visiting a store,
preferrably with about the amount of stuff you're going to bring with
you. Note that packing light might mean two changes of clothes, one to
wear, one to be drying out.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)

Old August 4th, 2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Jack Campin - bogus address

Despite what the "travel experts" may say, carry your bag for a
couple of miles or so getting out of the airport and wheels become
more attractive.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which a wheeled bag is more attractive,
unless it is so heavy that you simply cannot lift it - such as an
equipment container on 4 casters.

Wait till you are 50 yrs old Miguel.

I'm 57 and Miguel is dead right. I would never use a wheeled bag for
general travelling. (I have just acquired a very heavy accordion,
and am thinking about making a wheeled trolley for it, but no way
would I go any further than into Edinburgh with that)

I was on an Edinburgh bus a few weeks ago with a young Australian couple
who had decided to put ALL their possessions into ONE hard-shell wheeled
bag. The only bigger bags I've seen are the ones the Scouts use for
transporting twenty-person marquees; it would comfortably have held a
30-inch TV. The rule on these buses is that wheelchairs get first
priority for space, pushchairs next, luggage nowhere. And somebody in
a wheelchair got on. The man could hardly lift the bag and it took him
about three tries to get it onto the waist-high bag platform, fuming
with outrage all the time. I doubt if even a single fellow-passenger
had one iota of sympathy.

I've carried backpacks round Istanbul many times. Miguel's picture is
dead on. Broken surfaces, tramlines, jam-packed public transport,
gangways onto ferries - you'd be nuts to use anything with wheels there.
It's no coincidence that there are still porters in Istanbul who can
make a living carrying goods on their backs.

Old August 4th, 2006, 06:15 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
Miguel Cruz

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
I sometimes have to carry my luggage fairly long distances. For
example, last year I had to carry two bags (one large checked
backpack, worn in the back, one small carry-on backpack, worn in the
front) from Istanbul airport to the center of town because my ATM
card had expired just before the flight (who ever checks the
expiration date on their ATM card?), I didn't have any other form of
money on me, and the only bank that was prepared to sort me out was
in the middle of town. Leaving aside the stupidity of the situation
I'd gotten myself into, it was really no problem to do this - I just
found some high ground, located the coastline, followed it, and a
few hours later I was in Sultanahmet.

Oh ****, that's a long way!

Are you seriously telling us you only had one card? I have 3, plus a
bit of cash at any time.

I had suffered a spate of expirations in prior months. A couple weeks
after arriving in Turkey I was going to meet the person who had my mail,
which contained some new cards.

At the time my ATM card expired, I was just about to leave town. I went
to the local branch of my bank and got them to send me some money to pay
my rent, and a bit extra, but other expenses came up and ate away my
buffer. Then the bank was closed until flight departure time. I could
either change the date or just go ahead and see what happened.

And what's life if you don't just go ahead and see what happens? Turns
out I got a walk in Istanbul that few people do, and had a very
interesting time with some extremely nice bank staff there who stayed en
masse until hours after closing (even though only one of them plus the
guard would have been enough) to get my money sorted out - and feed me
strange Turkish food.

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia; Thailand; Singapore; Spain; Morocco
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:21 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

rascal wrote:
Yes, and that's a really good idea. I say shoot all the tourist as soon as
they show themselves. Carrying two bags should be prima fascia evidence of
tourism and give everyone the right to shoot them immediately. You surely
don't want to just wound them, so shooting to kill is the way to go.

Not tourists. The police should use more discretion than that. If the
police see someone with a backpack they should ask them the purpose for
their visit. If they say "tourist" or "business" or something then let
them through. If they say "I'm a traveller" then the egotistical
low-life travelling around on his parent's money should be put out of
our misery as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Old August 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

wrote:

"rascal" wrote:
[...]

?????

What bank is issuing ATM cards that expire? My ATM never does. And no
need to carry more than one. I also carry a few Credit Cards that you
can always use to withdraw cash.