bone yards (aircraft storage)

Old March 18th, 2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_MORAN

Default bone yards (aircraft storage)

there is one along Interstate 10 In southern Arizona, and I think
another in the Mohave Desert (Posibly Barstow)

The aircraft at the Pinal Air Park west of I-10 are clearly visable from
the freeway

You can land a cessna at the Pinal Air park, however driving access is
restricted.

I've driven around the perimeter of the airport and got some great
photos of airliners from US and foreign airlines. Northwest, Korean Air,
and many others have planes just parked here. If an airline has extra
aircraft, chances are good, they may be parked in the desert until the
aircraft are needed.

JOHN
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Larry

"JA_MORAN" wrote in message
.. .
there is one along Interstate 10 In southern Arizona, and I think another
in the Mohave Desert (Posibly Barstow)

The aircraft at the Pinal Air Park west of I-10 are clearly visable from
the freeway

You can land a cessna at the Pinal Air park, however driving access is
restricted.

I've driven around the perimeter of the airport and got some great photos
of airliners from US and foreign airlines. Northwest, Korean Air,
and many others have planes just parked here. If an airline has extra
aircraft, chances are good, they may be parked in the desert until the
aircraft are needed.

JOHN

Mojave Airport has quite a few old airliners parked as does the Ca Logistics
Airport (formerly George AFB in Victorville)

Old March 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JimL

On Mar 18, 10:41 am, "Larry" wrote:
"JA_MORAN" wrote in message

.. .

there is one along Interstate 10 In southern Arizona, and I think another
in the Mohave Desert (Posibly Barstow)

The aircraft at the Pinal Air Park west of I-10 are clearly visable from
the freeway

You can land a cessna at the Pinal Air park, however driving access is
restricted.

I've driven around the perimeter of the airport and got some great photos
of airliners from US and foreign airlines. Northwest, Korean Air,
and many others have planes just parked here. If an airline has extra
aircraft, chances are good, they may be parked in the desert until the
aircraft are needed.

JOHN

Mojave Airport has quite a few old airliners parked as does the Ca Logistics
Airport (formerly George AFB in Victorville)

Are these in working condition, or is it mostly a scrap yard?

Old March 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:43:26 -0700, JA_MORAN
wrote:

there is one along Interstate 10 In southern Arizona, and I think
another in the Mohave Desert (Posibly Barstow)

The aircraft at the Pinal Air Park west of I-10 are clearly visable from
the freeway

The aricraft at Pinal Air Park are fucntional, and being stored
for possible future use, as, I bleiev, are the aircraft in the
Mojave.

For a real boneyard, you ahve to go to Davis-Monthan AFB in
Tucson, the AFB being just north of I-10. Take the Kolb Road exit
from I-10 and follow it north a mile or so, then drive along the
fence.

This is a real boneyard because the aircraft are not meant to fly
again. The military, all branches, sends aircraft to DM to be
stripped of usable electornics and stuff and then the plains are
chopped up and melted down by nearby contractors.

The place is HUGE with a wide variety of craft, some of which end
up at the neighboring Pima Air and Space Museum, also close to
I-10 and well worth a visit.

After the Vietnam air hundreds of B-52s were sent to DM and lined
up in long, long lines.

You can land a cessna at the Pinal Air park, however driving access is
restricted.

I always wonder. During the Vietnam War this was the home of
Evergreen Aviation, known to be an arm of the CIA. This was
supposed to be a secret, but even the Alternative Yellow Pages
listed for the CIA, "See Evergreen Aviation". At that time you
couldn't get close to anything.

Old March 20th, 2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Larry

"JimL" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 18, 10:41 am, "Larry" wrote:
"JA_MORAN" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

These birds can be made to fly on rather short notice.