Help- travelling between the Algarve, Lisbon and Barcelona

Old December 25th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Default Help- travelling between the Algarve, Lisbon and Barcelona

Seeking advice -travelling between the Algarve, Lisbon and Barcelona

I rented a place in Carvoeiro, Portugal, from mid February to mid
March, 2005.

During the 4 weeks I plan to tour the Algarve, and visit Lisbon and
Sintra.

I would also like to visit the following sites in Spain: Sevilla,
Ronda, Granada and Barcelona.

I will have rented a car for part of my stay.

I am not knowledgeable about travelling in Portugal and Spain.

I am seeking advice on alternative means of transport (other than
automobile) to the sites in Spain, particularly to Barcelona.

There does not seem to be direct rail connections between the Algarve
and Barcelona along the coast.

Any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive itinerary?

For example,

1) drive (or go by bus or train) to Lisbon then fly or take a train to
Barcelona?.

2) drive from the Algarve to Sevilla and Granada, leave the car in
Granada, and take a train or fly to Barcelona.

There are two of us travelling. Should we purchase a rail pass, if so
what kind?

Would it be very expensive to park a car in a secure parking lot in
Lisbon, or Granada or other city.?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old December 25th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Nige

Travelling by bus in Spain can be relatively cheap and not too
uncomfortable. To get from the Algarve to Sevilla, you would need to go by
bus. There are a few direct buses that mainly leave from Faro and the
journey takes 3 hours. Enquire locally to get the latest times.
At Sevilla you can travel easily by bus or train to Granada. You can also
take a train from Sevilla to Barcelona called the TRENHOTEL where you leave
Sevilla at 10 in the evening and arrive at Barcelona in the morning. Saves a
hotel bill and time? Look up trains at www.renfe.es
That leaves Granada and Ronda. You could alternatively consider going to
Granada from Sevilla either train or bus, then after Granada go north to
Cordoba where you can pick up that same Trenhotel.Cordoba has a wonderful
history and would fit in nicely after Granada.

ups.com...

Old December 25th, 2004, 08:52 PM

large onions
bell pepper
celery
garlic
½ cup red wine
3 Irish potatoes
2 large carrots

This is a simple classic stew that makes natural gravy,
thus it does not have to be thickened.
Brown the meat quickly in very hot oil, remove and set aside.
Brown the onions, celery, pepper and garlic.
De-glaze with wine, return meat to the pan and season well.
Stew on low fire adding small amounts of water and
seasoning as necessary.
After at least half an hour, add the carrots and potatoes,
and simmer till root vegetables break with a fork.
Cook a fresh pot of long grained white rice.

Pre-mie Pot Pie

When working with prematurely delivered newborns (or chicken) use sherry;
red wine with beef (buy steak or roast, do not pre-boil).

Pie crust (see index)
Whole fresh pre-mie; eviscerated, head, hands and feet removed
Onions, bell pepper, celery
½ cup wine
Root vegetables of choice (turnips, carrots, potatoes, etc) cubed

Make a crust from scratch - or go shamefully to the frozen food section
of your favorite grocery and select 2 high quality pie crusts (you
will need one for the top also).
Boil the prepared delicacy until the meat starts to come off the bones.
Remove, de-bone and cube; continue to reduce the broth.
Brown the onions, peppers and celery.
Add the meat then season, continue browning.
De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth.
Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.
Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes s

Old December 25th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Nige

In a baking pan, place a layer of gravy,
then one of meat, gravy, and cheese.
Another layer each of meat, gravy, and cheese.
Then bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
Serve on hot pasta with romano cheese.

Southern Fried Small-fry

Tastes like fried chicken, which works just as well.
In fact you may want to practice cutting up whole chickens
for frying before you go for the real thing.
Whole chicken is much more efficient and inexpensive than buying pieces.

1 tiny human, cut into pieces
2 cups flour
Onion, garlic
Salt
pepper
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
hot sauce, etc.
Oil for frying

Mix milk, eggs, hot sauce in a bowl, add chopped onion and garlic.
Season the meat liberally, and marinate for several hours.
Place seasoned flour in a paper or plastic shopping bag,
drop pieces in a few a time, shake to coat thoroughly,
then deep fry in hot oil (350°) for about 15 minutes.
Drain and place on paper towels.

Miscarriage with Mustard Greens

Why waste it? Otherwise, and in general, use ham or salt pork to season greens.
The technique of smothering greens can be used with many vegetables;
green beans work especially well. Meat is not necessary every day, don?t
be afraid to alter any dish to vegetarian tas