Going to Wal-Mart while in Port

Old March 26th, 2005, 04:49 PM
E.k.R.

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
We see passengers from the ships at Wal-Mart all the time and I keep
wanting to ask why they are there but it seems kind of rude to do so.

Scott

Good question Scott. Frankly I think that would be a complete waste of
precious time spent ashore. Personally I would not step foot in a Wal-Mart
while I'm home (can't stand the place) so I sure as hell wouldn't visit one
while on vacation.

Ernie

Old March 26th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Charles

In article , E.k.R.
wrote:

Good question Scott. Frankly I think that would be a complete waste of
precious time spent ashore. Personally I would not step foot in a Wal-Mart
while I'm home (can't stand the place) so I sure as hell wouldn't visit one
while on vacation.

I stepped into one last year to return an item I had purchased from
their online store, as they suggested. I agree, yuck. I would avoid
visiting one from home or on a cruise.

--
Charles

Old March 26th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Keith

I can only guess that McDonalds is as much a symbol of America
as the American Flag, and McDonalds is the taste of home, no matter
where
you get the "Mac".

McDs was not what he was singing about, but the taste of home reminds
me of Jimmy Buffet's "Cheeseburger in Paradise" - if one has spent any
extended time overseas, the lyrics ring true for most Americans

Regards, Keith

Old March 26th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Other than to get the obligatory Hawaiian shirt, we have found that our
needs are better met at either Long's or, and please forgive me if I get
this one wrong, an ABC store.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dick Goldhaber wrote:
Probably because there is no Hilo Hattie's in the area.

There is a Hilo Hattie's in the area and a free buss to that as well.
The buss on the right in this photo is going to Hilo Hattie's
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/41224662/original

Scott

Old March 26th, 2005, 09:27 PM
wolf

by a local!

Peri wrote:
Scott W wrote:

what I would love to know is why, if you are on a
cruise to someplace like Hawaii, would you want to go to Wal-Mart?

soda
suntan lotion
batteries
souvenirs
film
toiletries or otc meds you forgot
water shoes
etc.

~ Peri

Old March 26th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Peggy

Old March 27th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Bob Gow

[Rant mode selected]
I have been to a few and quality and selection wise, they are for
bottom feeders. Yes, the prices are very low, but there are tradeoffs
for those low prices. Add on that they tend to drive wages down,
drive out smaller retailers and cater to the christain right on media
selection and I see little reason to throw money away there. Having
said that, Wal-mat (Volder-mart for those Harry Potter fans) does
provide low prices to bottom tier wage earners (who likely work at
Wal/Volder-mart because there are no other jobs available in the
area). Like dung beetles or carrion-eaters, they do have their place
in the economic ecology.
[Rant mode deselected]

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:40:08 GMT, (Karen
Segboer) wrote:

Charles wrote:

In article , E.k.R.
wrote:

Good question Scott. Frankly I think that would be a complete waste of
precious time spent ashore. Personally I would not step foot in a Wal-Mart
while I'm home (can't stand the place) so I sure as hell wouldn't visit one
while on vacation.

I stepped into one last year to return an item I had purchased from
their online store, as they suggested. I agree, yuck. I would avoid
visiting one from home or on a cruise.

Interesting thread. I've never been in a Wal-Mart and always wanted
to go to one; in fact, I just discovered there's one up the highway
and I plan on visiting soon, just to look around. Wal-Mart's building
a new store in our neck of the woods, too.

Karen

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews ®
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Bob Gow
"Experience is what you get when
you expected something else."