Australian Beer

Old June 11th, 2005, 04:48 PM
AlmostBob

Its just Fosters Lager itself that's garbage, VB Carlton and all the
boutique brands that they own are better. OZ look for the beer university,
doing the rounds of a CUB (former name of Fosters Brewing) pub near you. 7
Pots/middies of assorted GOOD beers and a great pitch, FREE.
Beer University on Saturday afternoons, at Chloe's bar upstairs at Young
and Jacksons, going back to Victoria Barracks aftwerwards is a staggering
trip

--
_
"Richard" wrote in message
7.134...
Amazing that Fosters is known for a piddling beer when it's got some
nice stuff on its shelves.

Having just viewed their web page, I was surprised that not only do they
handle lots of varieties of Carlton (Cold became a favourite) as well as
VB but also Kilkenny Ale, which we enjoyed on draught at that Irish pub
down the road from Subiaco waiting for the Eagles to get the season
started with Port Adelaide a season ago. Also they export some wonderful
stuff like the Belgian beers Leff and Stella Artois.

"AlmostBob" wrote in

VB is made by 'Fosters Bewing' too,
Fosters is the crap beer, never been able to understand why they push
that on unsuspecting furriners
VB is better

Old June 12th, 2005, 12:27 AM

"Gilbert" wrote

So WTF do I drink when I get there?

When it's the middle of summer, you're in the outback, no rain for 5 years,
the crows and roo's are dying of thirst and it's 43C in the shade, you'll
eventually find that you'll drink anything. Just as long as it's icy cold
and got "BEER" written somewhere on the label.

Old June 12th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Gilbert

wrote in message

"Gilbert" wrote

So WTF do I drink when I get there?

When it's the middle of summer, you're in the outback, no rain for 5
years, the crows and roo's are dying of thirst and it's 43C in the shade,
you'll eventually find that you'll drink anything. Just as long as it's
icy cold and got "BEER" written somewhere on the label.

Oh come on, not ALL Brits are uncultured oiks, you know.
Some of us still have standards to maintain...
:O)

Old June 12th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Spammy Sammy

"Gilbert" wrote in message
So WTF do I drink when I get there?

Depends on where you are bound really.

For SA...

VB. At first it tastes fairly neutral but it kinda grows on you, especially
on a hot day after mowing the grass.
West End Draught - avoid like the plague - it's fairly nasty stuff.
Tooheys Old has a sort of smokey taste which is nice in moderation but is
too much for prolonged binge sessions. It's also a bit too fizzy.
Coopers Draught - OK
Coopers Dark - Good
Coopers Pale Ale - much ado abut nothing.
Coopers Sparkling - very overrated. Strong though - 5.9% iirc
Coopers Vintage - excellent, but costly. You'd have to be rich to drink this
full time
Crown Lager - too expensive for what you get
Carlton Cold - ditto
Tooheys New - bland
Stirling - not strong enough
Hahn Lite - pretty good for a lite beer, although you'd have to work real
hard to get ****ed
XXXX - not as strong as the UK version. Fizzy nothingness

Imported English beers are available but they're from the bottom of the
heap. John Smiths is here for the desperate, at $75 for a slab of 24, as is
Tetleys Smoothflow. I wouldn't want either.

Bottles of poncy ales like Hobgoblin are sold for $6 odd each. Again I'm not
that much of a saddo to buy them.

Stella Artois is here as well but it's a toned down version - 4.6% as
opposed to 5.1%, and many places won't sell it in pints. In fact many places
don't even do Imperial Pints - the Aussie Pint is only around 425ml.

Remember the Fosters adverts - he who drinks Australian thinks Australian. I
didn't go through almost two years of agony, untold cost, and subsequently
travel 12000 miles to drink English beer or eat English food. I consider
myself an Aussie now, and God help them

Old June 12th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Spammy Sammy

"Alan S" wrote in message
Err, mate, you're supposed to keep it in the fridge, not the
cupboard.

Of all the drivel posted on usenet, discussions on the
relative merits of beer rank just behind US politics and all
forms of religion as the most prolific and the least
intelligent.

Drink good wine instead.

Or do you also prefer British wine?

All Aussie beer is kept in the fridge you plank - it'd be too warm
otherwise.

Beer ranking. I dunno - it's more use than a lot of usenet posts, and far
more intelligent in my view.

Wine - isn't that the stuff that comes in 750ml bottles? Anyway they don't
usually sell it in pints so I'm not interested in that. I'll have a glass
every now and again though but it doesn't do a lot for me.

British Wine - had a decent Elderberry and Wildflower a couple of years back
form a shop in Cheddar Gorge. I had a two day hangover from it - felt as
sick as dog. Bought the Wild Berry the following time instead, which I
highly recommend.

Old June 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
AlmostBob

_
"Gilbert" wrote in message

wrote in message

"Gilbert" wrote

So WTF do I drink when I get there?

When it's the middle of summer, you're in the outback, no rain for 5
years, the crows and roo's are dying of thirst and it's 43C in the

shade,
you'll eventually find that you'll drink anything. Just as long as it's
icy cold and got "BEER" written somewhere on the label.

Oh come on, not ALL Brits are uncultured oiks, you know.
Some of us still have standards to maintain...
:O)

Its the 43C in the shade part that poms dont seem to get, hell if its hot
enough you'll even drink barbed wire
sorry fourex,
why do Queenslanders drink XXXX, coz they cant spell Beer

Old June 13th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Terry Simmons

In article ,
wrote:

On 9 Jun 2005 06:15:17 -0700, "Maria" wrote:

I think it's important to anyone visiting this great land thhat they
make informed good choices on beers to try whilst in Australia.

So here's a shameless plug, check out
http://www.brew.com.au
Australia's online beer reviewing community, and check out what beers
rate well, and what beers to avoid.

Cheers!

Maria
http://www.brew.com.au/reviewer/maria/

Victoria Bitter!

.... made by CUB (= Fosters!)

--
Cheers!

Terry
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Gilbert

"AlmostBob" wrote in message

"Gilbert" wrote in message

Oh come on, not ALL Brits are uncultured oiks, you know.
Some of us still have standards to maintain...
:O)

Its the 43C in the shade part that poms dont seem to get, hell if its hot
enough you'll even drink barbed wire

been hot, done that, still won't drink **** beer.
:O)