Traveling Overseas Without Shots?

Old November 30th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Scott Elliot

Advice is often worth what you pay for it. If you take free advice from the
internet for something as vital as a medicine that may save your life you
are not putting much value on your life.

See a qualified travel physician who is familiar with recommendations for
the area you are visiting and follow his/her advice. There are specific
medicines that are recommended and not recommended for different areas so
the prophylactic recommended will vary depending on strain of malaria in the
area and evolved resistance to different medicines. Qualified practitioners
have access to this data.

My wife watched a healthy young man die of cerebral malaria. It is not
worth fooling around with.

Scott

Old November 30th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Pat Anderson

In message 7KSqd.246957$9b.16867@edtnps84, Scott Elliot
writes
Advice is often worth what you pay for it. If you take free advice from the
internet for something as vital as a medicine that may save your life you
are not putting much value on your life.

See a qualified travel physician who is familiar with recommendations for
the area you are visiting and follow his/her advice. There are specific
medicines that are recommended and not recommended for different areas so
the prophylactic recommended will vary depending on strain of malaria in the
area and evolved resistance to different medicines. Qualified practitioners
have access to this data.

My wife watched a healthy young man die of cerebral malaria. It is not
worth fooling around with.

Scott

Scott,
I agree with what you say about a doctor who is qualified in travel
medicine. In Britain our first port of call is our GP (general
practitioner). He has his current travel information from the School of
Tropical Medicine plus a direct line to check on any new information
to the country his patient is travelling to. We also have travel clinics
in large cities. Before we went to both Nigeria and Kenya to live for
several years, we saw the GP and I wrote to a Professor of Malaria at
the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine to ask questions. In the reply
he confirmed that the GP`s recommendation for the country we were going
to was correct but he stressed that drugs alone were not enough, people
should also use repellents, cover up in the evenings and use a mosquito
net. The doctors also know which inoculations are required for the
country of travel
Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Old November 30th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Rita Daggett

Ask you doctor whether there's any reason not to take Malarone.
Then get one pack of Malarone and read the instructions for
prophylactic use. It will probably say that you should begin to
take it one or two weeks in advance. (I forgot which.)

Its two days before you enter the malarial region and continue a week (I
think) after you come out (one of the reasons I preferred it - you dont have
to take it so long for a short trip)

For the exact time it is anyway safer to read the instructions
than to ask here. There may be a new variant or the instructions
may have been changed, so better read them. They are clear and
unambiguous.

but I agree with the above advice too!
--
Rita Daggett

Old December 1st, 2004, 02:32 AM
Not the Karl Orff

Question about black Africans, and indigenous peoplesof Papu/New Guinea
and also some Australian aborigines. These people carry the sickle cell
anemia gene. Does carrying it immunize someone against malaria
completely, or just makes the tolerate it effects better than for those
who don't carry the gene?

Old December 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 01:32:28 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

Question about black Africans, and indigenous peoplesof Papu/New Guinea
and also some Australian aborigines. These people carry the sickle cell
anemia gene. Does carrying it immunize someone against malaria
completely, or just makes the tolerate it effects better than for those
who don't carry the gene?

The latter. Many indigenous people acquire (or perhaps inherit,
I don't know) partial immunity, with or without that gene.

By far not all indigenous people have the sickle-cell anemia
gene. Only some have it. It obviously carries its own
disadvantage, so it's an evolutionary tradeoff.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.