Questions about Yangshuo

Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:07 AM
Lillian

Default Questions about Yangshuo

Hi, I have some questions about Yanghsuo, since I wanna make a trip
there during X'mas from Hong Kong.

1. How can I get there from HK, or Shenzhen, or Guangzhou, besides by
air? Trains preferred to buses. I can't find the right train or place
to buy the bus tickets.

2. Will it be over-crowded in Yangshuo during Christmas, so that I
can't even find a place to stay?

3. Is it possible to find people to go hiking with me in Yangshuo,
since I don't wanna try the trails with no route marks at all by
myself?

4. Is it cold there during Dec. and Jan.? The weather reports say it's
from several degrees to 16 or 17. But how is it in the day? And will
it be extremely cold if I stay at a room without a/c?

Thanks in advance to anybody who answers any of the above questions.

Lillian
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:20 AM
Rupert Fiennes

1. How can I get there from HK, or Shenzhen, or Guangzhou, besides by
air? Trains preferred to buses. I can't find the right train or place
to buy the bus tickets.

Train to Guilin, then there are buses from the station

2. Will it be over-crowded in Yangshuo during Christmas, so that I
can't even find a place to stay?

Ummm...maybe. I was in the youth hostel Christmas 99, which was actually
quite quiet

3. Is it possible to find people to go hiking with me in Yangshuo,
since I don't wanna try the trails with no route marks at all by
myself?

easy

4. Is it cold there during Dec. and Jan.? The weather reports say it's
from several degrees to 16 or 17. But how is it in the day? And will
it be extremely cold if I stay at a room without a/c?

Yes. Fairly chilly

Old December 23rd, 2003, 06:29 AM
Desert Dweller

Originally posted by Lillian

Hi, I have some questions about Yanghsuo, since I wanna make a trip

there during X'mas from Hong Kong.

1. There is a train from HK which takes you to Guangzhou where you
have to change train for Guilin. it takes about 14 hours and on the
map is a very long way round. There are buses and they take a
similar amount of time. It is a balance between safety and cost and
time. From Guilin you take a bus, but they are easy to get. You can
also take a ferry from Guilin to Yangshuo but it is a tourist job
which will probably not appeal.

2. Not overcrowded, but there will be an amount of revelry.

3. Easy, there are a coupl eof bars/shops dedicated to climbing,
cycling and walking.

4. Depends on the size of the room, there are planty of places to stay
at very good rates and most of them have a heater.

I advise a good, filling breakfast somewhere like the Blue Lotus at
the begining of the day as you use a lot of energy in the cold and
there is nowhere on the paths to eat.

A bus to Yangdi is also good, then on the river boat to the next
village and a bus back to Guilin. Yangdi has a very good pagoda walk
of several hundred steps up a karst and gives an amazing view.

It is a great place, you'll really enjoy it.

Old December 23rd, 2003, 07:37 PM
Frans Vandenbosch

"Desert Dweller"
Originally posted by Lillian
Hi, I have some questions about Yanghsuo, since I wanna make a trip
there during X'mas from Hong Kong.

It is a great place, you'll really enjoy it.

Fully agree
Be prepared for some rain
but even then, Yanghsuo is magnificent:
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Chi...lides/855.html