Virgin Atlantic to LHR

Old September 10th, 2003, 03:01 AM
Dennis G. Rears

Default Virgin Atlantic to LHR

I am planning a trip to BRU in November. I am looking at a good fare with a
Continental Code Share on Virgin Atlantic to LHR on the first and last legs.
This would be in the cheapest Economy. How is the leg room/pitch compared
with Lufthansa or United? Do they charge for beer or wine? I am think of
going in mid November. Would I be better off leaving on a Saturday,
Wednesday, or Thursday, if my goal is a less crowded seat? At the terminal
would they let me upgrade to premium economy if I paid for it?

dennis

Old September 10th, 2003, 12:37 PM
ramraideruk

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message
.net...
I am planning a trip to BRU in November. I am looking at a good fare with

Continental Code Share on Virgin Atlantic to LHR on the first and last

legs.
This would be in the cheapest Economy. How is the leg room/pitch compared
with Lufthansa or United? Do they charge for beer or wine? I am think of
going in mid November. Would I be better off leaving on a Saturday,
Wednesday, or Thursday, if my goal is a less crowded seat? At the

terminal
would they let me upgrade to premium economy if I paid for it?

virgin's legroom is pretty mean. Usually about 31". It's quite cramped. All
alcohol on Virgin flights is free (except champagne)
Midweek flights are usually less busy. In November you can usually upgrade
to Premium economy, when you buy your ticket, for £150 each way. If you're
going to do it at the airport, wait and see if you get upgraded first before
offering to pay. Virgin flights are nearly always overbooked.

Old September 10th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Chip

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote:

I am planning a trip to BRU in November. I am looking at a good fare with a
Continental Code Share on Virgin Atlantic to LHR on the first and last legs.
This would be in the cheapest Economy. How is the leg room/pitch compared
with Lufthansa or United? Do they charge for beer or wine?

I had the most uncomfortable transatlantic flight of my life on Virgin
last November (BOS-LHR). They use a very cramped old 747 on that route,
retrofitted with the seat-back videos, leaving not much space for arms
and legs.

On a Tuesday in late November, the flight was FULL. Virgin ground
service at BOS is poor - I was in the check-in line for 2 hours, and I
wasn't anywhere near the end. (Ground service was poor on the other end
as well - it took nearly 90 minutes to get luggage off the plane.)

They don't charge for beer & wine, but they won't be distributing much
of it. On my flight, the FAs filled wineglasses on the trays from a
bottle. Once.

For my "cheap" flight, the difference between Virgin and the next most
expensive carrier was less than $50. I wouldn't put myself through the
Virgin experience again for that difference.

On the other hand, my best transatlantic flight was on a United 767.
Very comfortable. If you have that for a choice, go for it.

Old September 10th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Jim Ley

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:34:09 GMT, Chip wrote:

I had the most uncomfortable transatlantic flight of my life on Virgin
last November (BOS-LHR). They use a very cramped old 747 on that route,
retrofitted with the seat-back videos, leaving not much space for arms
and legs.

Mine was JNB-LHR so not transatlantic but a very similar experience,
and Virgin, join Virgin Express as the only airlines I'll not fly
again (I'm wondering if flying Virgin Blue would just be asking for
trouble!)

On a Tuesday in late November, the flight was FULL. Virgin ground
service at BOS is poor - I was in the check-in line for 2 hours, and I
wasn't anywhere near the end.

Similar ground service problems at JNB, also delayed without
explanation or comment from the ground staff.

They don't charge for beer & wine, but they won't be distributing much
of it. On my flight, the FAs filled wineglasses on the trays from a
bottle. Once.

I was just drinking juice and water, but had enough trouble getting
that out of the FAs

Jim.
Old September 10th, 2003, 02:14 PM
david

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message v.net...
I am planning a trip to BRU in November. I am looking at a good fare with a
Continental Code Share on Virgin Atlantic to LHR on the first and last legs.
This would be in the cheapest Economy. How is the leg room/pitch compared
with Lufthansa or United? Do they charge for beer or wine? I am think of
going in mid November. Would I be better off leaving on a Saturday,
Wednesday, or Thursday, if my goal is a less crowded seat? At the terminal
would they let me upgrade to premium economy if I paid for it?

dennis

Most people enjoy VS flights (seatback TV screens and a reputation for
good service) but the seats in economy are decidedly snug. If
leg-room is vitally important to you then fly AA or make absolutely
sure that you are in Premium Economy -- call VS before you book to
find out about their upgrade policy.
Old September 10th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Philip George

In article ,
david wrote:
Most people enjoy VS flights (seatback TV screens and a reputation for
good service) but the seats in economy are decidedly snug. If
leg-room is vitally important to you then fly AA or make absolutely
sure that you are in Premium Economy -- call VS before you book to
find out about their upgrade policy.

I read somewhere that AA are reducing their legroom to 32" (in response
to the air travel slump). Has this happened yet?

phil

Old September 10th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Miss L. Toe

"david" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Agreed - Virgin is great for IFE and food, but bad on legroom.
Try CO themselves if you like wider seats.

usually Virgin arne't the cheapest on routes I look at :-(

Old September 10th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Dennis G. Rears

"Jim Ley" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:34:09 GMT, Chip wrote:

I had the most uncomfortable transatlantic flight of my life on Virgin
last November (BOS-LHR). They use a very cramped old 747 on that route,
retrofitted with the seat-back videos, leaving not much space for arms
and legs.

Mine was JNB-LHR so not transatlantic but a very similar experience,
and Virgin, join Virgin Express as the only airlines I'll not fly
again (I'm wondering if flying Virgin Blue would just be asking for
trouble!)

I flew Virgin Blue last year, MEL-PER,, PER-MEL, MEL-CNS. Excellent
airline. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

dennis