cigarette lighters in NZ cars!!

Old December 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default cigarette lighters in NZ cars!!

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 02:05:45 GMT, in message
*ZV4nf.146373$S4.124198@edtnps84, Gary wrote:

can anyone tell me?

do NZ cars run on 12 volt batteries?

Is that a Canadian steam boiler?

do they have cigarette lighters?

You light them from the firebox, same place where you put the coal in.

are the cigarette lighter "orifices" the same size as Canadian?

I dunno how big the firebox "orifice" is on a Canadian car.

Old December 12th, 2005, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

And that helps in a *car* exactly how? :-)

Frank I guess I assumed:

a. The OP reads English, being Canadian - and named Gary!
b. He/she is of normal intelligence.

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
A Mate wrote:
Gary - virtually all small appliances charge comfortably (and
automaticly) on any voltage from 110v to 220v - NZ is 230/240 which
these appliances also handle comfortably (the difference 220 to 240 is
insignificant).

By all means use a 12v recharger if you wish, but all you really need
is a plug convertor to allow you to plug your American plugs into NZ
outlets.

And that helps in a *car* exactly how? :-)

Yes, I know what you meant, but when I travel (in Oz, not NZ), I make
sure I can run all my stuff on/from the vehicle (*and* 240VAC).

Information he
http://kropla.com/electric.htm

Old December 13th, 2005, 08:26 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Turan Fettahoglu" turan.fe@invalid wrote in message
NZ cars like every other conventional car on earth (VW's and a few
oddballs the exception) are indeed 12Volts DC.

I drive a VW Golf (a.k.a. Rabbit in the US) and it has a 12 Volt DC
battery like the others. The 6 Volt batteries in the VW Beetle must have
been abolished in the early 70s.

Turan

Yeah yeah, I shouldve clarified, I forgot where I was posting.

Old December 13th, 2005, 10:22 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

You light them from the firebox, same place where you put the coal in.

are the cigarette lighter "orifices" the same size as Canadian?

I dunno how big the firebox "orifice" is on a Canadian car.

Well damn the torpedos boys! You've all been extremely helpful!

But I must say to Ralph: they don't allow us to smoke or light fires in
Canadian cars - it's far too politically "incorrect". But the orifice has
to be big enough to get the Hamsters and Wheels in.

Gary

Old December 13th, 2005, 11:01 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Fred old bean
dont lie to the man
a crank handle isnt nearly big enough for the flies
they carry away small children

--
If at first you dont succeed
try try try again

_
"Fred" wrote in message

"David Bennetts" wrote in message

"Gary" wrote in message
Hi,

going from Canada to NZ; taking a voltage converter which I can plug

into
Canadian cars' cigarette lighter. this allows me to run a converter
(assuming NZ car batteries are 12volt!) to 117 vac, where I can plug in
camera re-chargers; any other 117 v apps I bring like shavers etc.

can anyone tell me?

do NZ cars run on 12 volt batteries?
do they have cigarette lighters?
are the cigarette lighter "orifices" the same size as Canadian?

thanks for any comments!!

Gary

NZ cars don't have batteries, they have crank handles. They're a little
behind the times in New Zealand, they still have a dairy on virtually
every corner in every town, where you go in and milk the cows for
yourself. And don't laugh when a Maori pokes out his tongue at you.

But seriously bring your gear and you'll manage.

David Bennetts
Australia

Gary

David's advice is quite sound.
But you will only need to bring a crank handle if also touring Australia,
where you will be able to wind up a generator for your shaver etc. Also
useful for clobbering flies and other nasties that will swarm around your
head all day.

Old December 13th, 2005, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Gary wrote:
But the orifice has to be big enough to get the Hamsters and Wheels in.

Too much information.

:O)
Gilbert

Old December 13th, 2005, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"AlmostBob" wrote in message
Fred old bean
dont lie to the man
a crank handle isnt nearly big enough for the flies
they carry away small children

I know that me old sausage. The crank handle is merely to start the whizzing
thingamebob that clobbers the flies (now reported to be carrying away large
children, grandmothers, and tourists)