Home checklist for extended travel?

Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Default Home checklist for extended travel?

Nancy Young:
Just a word of advice ... check your policy, don't call the
insurance company. I didn't know, and when I called about my
inlaw's house that was going to be vacant for a time, they wanted
to cancel the policy immediately, or charge some outrageous amount
to cover a vacant house.

Mark Brader:
Just a word of advice... don't try to trick your insurance company
and think your coverage is still valid.

Nancy Young:
Nobody said anything about tricking. I said Read your policy,
don't go calling them up and giving them an opening to cancel you
or raise your rates with what you think is an innocent question.

If they want to cancel the policy or "charge some outrageous amount",
that would imply that you don't have coverage for the situation you're
asking about. Unless of course *they're* trying to trick or cheat *you*,
or their people are incompetent, in either of which cases you probably
want to change insurers anyway.
--
Mark Brader | "...it's a characteristic ... of organizations that try
Toronto | to anticipate every possible failu they easily

Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 02 May 2007 04:32:32 -0000, (Mark
Brader) wrote:

[...]

Which goes back to my suggestion to find a better insurer
ASAP.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Athens and The Adriatic
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada
Nancy Young

[...]

The state of home owners insurance coverage is not what it used to
be. Best to read the policy and take whatever steps to avoid voiding
your policy, it might be as simple as asking someone to live in your
house for a couple of days, or come home a day early.

nancy