Benelux driving trip

Old April 18th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Keith Anderson

Default Benelux driving trip

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:21:36 +0100, Jesper Lauridsen
wrote:

I'm planning a driving trip through the benelux countries. The
plan is to start in either Flensburg or Hamburg, go along the
coast into Netherlands, follow it down to Brugge, where we will
stay for two nights, before heading inland towards the Ardennes
and Luxembourg. We will be avoiding the big cities. The trip is
10 days/9 nights in early May.

Any suggestions on what to see? We're looking for scenery, old
towns and, of course, castles/palaces. On the Dutch part of the
trip, some impressing engineering works on the dikes would be
of interest. I'm also thinking about visiting one of the islands
off the Dutch or German coast (we need to include at least one
short ferry trip). Interesting drives/locations in Saarland and
Rheinland-Pfalz are also relevant.

For engineering work, the dike road from Lelystad to Enkhuizen is good
as it affords better views than the Afsluitdijk across the mouth of
the IJssel Mee, although the Afsluitdijk is the more important
feature.

The coast road from Rotterdam to Middelburg is excellent - goes past
the Oosterschelde Stormvloedkering at Neeltje Jans where there's a
museum devoted to the Delta Project.

Old April 18th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Keith Anderson

wrote:

For engineering work, the dike road from Lelystad to Enkhuizen is good
as it affords better views than the Afsluitdijk across the mouth of
the IJssel Mee, although the Afsluitdijk is the more important
feature.

The coast road from Rotterdam to Middelburg is excellent - goes past
the Oosterschelde Stormvloedkering at Neeltje Jans where there's a
museum devoted to the Delta Project.

Might be worth having a look at the Zuider Zee Museum in Enkhuizen as
well - shows what the IJssel Meer was like in "salt water" days before
it became a fresh water lake.

Old April 18th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Hank

"Jesper Lauridsen" schreef in bericht
I'm planning a driving trip through the benelux countries. The
plan is to start in either Flensburg or Hamburg, go along the
coast into Netherlands, follow it down to Brugge, where we will
stay for two nights, before heading inland towards the Ardennes
and Luxembourg. We will be avoiding the big cities. The trip is
10 days/9 nights in early May.

Any suggestions on what to see? We're looking for scenery, old
towns and, of course, castles/palaces. On the Dutch part of the
trip, some impressing engineering works on the dikes would be
of interest. I'm also thinking about visiting one of the islands
off the Dutch or German coast (we need to include at least one
short ferry trip). Interesting drives/locations in Saarland and
Rheinland-Pfalz are also relevant.

Make your choice out of one of these islands on the Dutch coast:
http://www.wadden.nl/wadden/waddenfederatie.jpg
...of which, in my opinion, Schiermonnikoog is very nice and quiet.
Some impressing engineering works on the dikes?
We are so very proud of our Delta-works: http://www.deltawerken.com
Cross the so called "Oosterscheldedam":
http://www.deltawerken.com/data/en/delta/oost/oost.htm

Henk
www.heal.demon.nl/amsterdam

Old April 18th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Lucytalk

don't forget Gent, for two reasons, the old castle in the hard of the town
and St. Baav Cathedral
Enjoy!
Lucy

Old April 18th, 2004, 06:13 PM
John Bermont

Jesper Lauridsen wrote:
I'm planning a driving trip through the benelux countries. The
plan is to start in either Flensburg or Hamburg, go along the
coast into Netherlands, follow it down to Brugge, where we will
stay for two nights, before heading inland towards the Ardennes
and Luxembourg. We will be avoiding the big cities. The trip is
10 days/9 nights in early May.

Any suggestions on what to see? We're looking for scenery, old
towns and, of course, castles/palaces. On the Dutch part of the
trip, some impressing engineering works on the dikes would be
of interest. I'm also thinking about visiting one of the islands
off the Dutch or German coast (we need to include at least one
short ferry trip). Interesting drives/locations in Saarland and
Rheinland-Pfalz are also relevant.

Speaking as an engineer, one of the most impressive museums in Europe is
the Cruquius Expo in Haarlem, The Netherlands. This is a huge steam
engine built circa 150 years ago to pump the water out of
Haarlemmermeer, Lake Haarlem. The museum is on the south edge of
Haarlem. Their site is
http://www.cruquiusmuseum.nl/

For some basic information about Holland see my page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/cds/holland.htm

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old April 18th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Gordon Forbess

wrote:

I'm planning a driving trip through the benelux countries. The
plan is to start in either Flensburg or Hamburg, go along the
coast into Netherlands, follow it down to Brugge, where we will
stay for two nights, before heading inland towards the Ardennes
and Luxembourg. We will be avoiding the big cities. The trip is
10 days/9 nights in early May.

Any suggestions on what to see? We're looking for scenery, old
towns and, of course, castles/palaces. On the Dutch part of the
trip, some impressing engineering works on the dikes would be
of interest. I'm also thinking about visiting one of the islands
off the Dutch or German coast (we need to include at least one
short ferry trip). Interesting drives/locations in Saarland and
Rheinland-Pfalz are also relevant.

Just east of Amsterdam is the intact fortified town of Naarden. I
think you would find it an impressive engineering work from another
time. Excellent museum. Have a great trip.

http://www.naarden.nl/

http://www.vestingmuseum.nl/

Gordon