Vienna touts?

Old December 20th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Brian

Default Vienna touts?

Hi,
Was recently in Vienna, had a great time, really like the city. However, I
was wondering about the guys who hang around Stephansdom, dressed in the
17-centuryesque capes and so on, looking to sell tickets to concerts, tours
etc etc. I automatically assumed they were rip-off merchants so stayed well
away from them but I'm wondering now if I was too harsh on them?

Anyone know for sure?

Cheers,
BOF

Old December 20th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:27:53 -0000, Brian wrote:

Hi,
Was recently in Vienna, had a great time, really like the city. However, I
was wondering about the guys who hang around Stephansdom, dressed in the
17-centuryesque capes and so on, looking to sell tickets to concerts, tours
etc etc. I automatically assumed they were rip-off merchants so stayed well
away from them but I'm wondering now if I was too harsh on them?

Anyone know for sure?

I'm not a 100% sure but I was always under the impression they were above
board.

--
Tim C.
Old December 20th, 2004, 05:53 PM
tim

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message
news:1103554921.5e7f457302ba1add46836a6e808d2fd5@t eranews...
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:27:53 -0000, Brian wrote:

Hi,
Was recently in Vienna, had a great time, really like the city. However,
was wondering about the guys who hang around Stephansdom, dressed in the
17-centuryesque capes and so on, looking to sell tickets to concerts,
tours
etc etc. I automatically assumed they were rip-off merchants so stayed
well
away from them but I'm wondering now if I was too harsh on them?

Anyone know for sure?

I'm not a 100% sure but I was always under the impression they were above
board.

So am I, this seems to be the normal way to sell concert tickets
to tourists.

tim

Old December 20th, 2004, 06:36 PM

My impression has always been that these are very "tourist oriented"
concerts. Just returned from Vienna last week. I wanted to book
a couple of concerts. The concierge at the hotel kept trying
to steer me to these costumed "theme" concerts -- lots of Strauss,
even a little ballet sequence. I wanted more "serious" music
and had to do a lot of convincing to get what I wanted. I got
the impression that the concierge got a pretty nice kickback
from these "tourist" concerts, but not from the opera or
symphony. Most of the costumed touts I saw were also pushing
the "tourist" concerts. Not trying to be a snob here -- but
I didn't want to hear an orchestra that plays the same program
night after night.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Brian wrote:

Hi,
Was recently in Vienna, had a great time, really like the city. However, I
was wondering about the guys who hang around Stephansdom, dressed in the
17-centuryesque capes and so on, looking to sell tickets to concerts, tours
etc etc. I automatically assumed they were rip-off merchants so stayed well
away from them but I'm wondering now if I was too harsh on them?

Anyone know for sure?

Cheers,
BOF

Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP