Commonwealth

Old April 4th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Henning Keutgen

Default Commonwealth

Hi NG,
I´m a german student living in Aachen in Germany. My father is a british
citizen and I´m currently applying for an english passport so I have both
the german and the british.
I have a question concerning working and living in Australia or NZ or
generally in a country which is a member of the commonwealth as a british
citizen.
What I heard is that I can work and live in member countries without having
a special working permit or a visa something similar. I looked up Google but
didn´t find any significant information of what kind of rights my british
citizenship would give me in commonwealth countries.

Is there anybody out there who could give me some information on this?
Thanks,
Henning from Germany

Old April 4th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Dwayne

"Henning Keutgen" wrote in message
Hi NG,
I´m a german student living in Aachen in Germany. My father is a british
citizen and I´m currently applying for an english passport so I have both
the german and the british.
I have a question concerning working and living in Australia or NZ or
generally in a country which is a member of the commonwealth as a british
citizen.
What I heard is that I can work and live in member countries without
having a special working permit or a visa something similar. I looked up
Google but didn´t find any significant information of what kind of rights
my british citizenship would give me in commonwealth countries.

Is there anybody out there who could give me some information on this?
Thanks,
Henning from Germany

Unfortunately this is untrue. In order to work (legally) in OZ or NZ you
will need a work visa. The easiest ones to get are working holiday visas
(if your under 31 years of age). If you want a 3 month holiday visa, then
you can get one without question , (you can extend it for another 3 months
if you apply for the extension BEFORE your visa expires) . If you have a
trade then you can very easily get a proper work visa. Both countries seem
to be short of trade workers. With a holiday visa you can work on a farm
(WOOF program) for food and a bed. Typically you work 3-4 hours each day
and get breakfast, dinner and a roof over your head (it's also a good way to
meet other travelers). If you stay for a week, then you only have to work
for 6 days.

Hope this helps,

Dwayne

Old April 5th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Richard

"Henning Keutgen" wrote in
:

Hi NG,
I´m a german student living in Aachen in Germany. My father is a
british citizen and I´m currently applying for an english passport so
I have both the german and the british.
I have a question concerning working and living in Australia or NZ or
generally in a country which is a member of the commonwealth as a
british citizen.
What I heard is that I can work and live in member countries without
having a special working permit or a visa something similar. I looked
up Google but didn´t find any significant information of what kind of
rights my british citizenship would give me in commonwealth countries.

Is there anybody out there who could give me some information on this?
Thanks,
Henning from Germany

Henning,

As a citizen of Canada, I can tell you that membership in the
Commonwealth means bugger all, except for the Commonwealth Games, which
are quite entertaining.

Richard

Old April 5th, 2005, 01:00 AM
David Bennetts

The British Commonwealth of Nations is for all intents and purposes dead and
useless, except for providing an occasional junket and talkfest for
Commonwealth leaders, and putting on a cut-down version of the Olympic
games. Being a citizen of one country in the Commonwealth gives you no
benefit on entry to another.

The earlier reply from Dwayne contains sound information.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old April 5th, 2005, 04:32 AM

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:00:32 +0200, "Henning Keutgen"
wrote:

Hi NG,
I´m a german student living in Aachen in Germany. My father is a british
citizen and I´m currently applying for an english passport so I have both
the german and the british.
I have a question concerning working and living in Australia or NZ or
generally in a country which is a member of the commonwealth as a british
citizen.
What I heard is that I can work and live in member countries without having
a special working permit or a visa something similar. I looked up Google but
didn´t find any significant information of what kind of rights my british
citizenship would give me in commonwealth countries.

Is there anybody out there who could give me some information on this?
Thanks,
Henning from Germany

Post to:

misc.immigration.australia_nz