Sending Out An SOS

Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:45 AM
Frank Slootweg

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

SOSman wrote:

What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on the
trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

If one HAS "loved ones", what's to prevent doing the
"pre-arranging" with them? (WITHOUT any fee to some outside
agency?)

Well, these are *travel* groups, i.e. ones "loved ones" may not be
close by and possibly in a (quite) different timezone. For example for
us, from The Netherlands (aka "Holland") and travelling in Australia,
the distance is 16,000+ km and the time-difference is upto 10 hours. I
don't know about *your* loved ones, but ours don't appreciate phonecalls
in the middle of the night hearing were fine, nor having to arrange a
searchparty from 16,000km/10hours away, without any 'local' information
(i.e. which authority to call, their phonenumber, etc.).
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:11 AM

SOSman wrote:

[...]

Well, my relatives always have my itinerary, and I carry a
card with emergency notification numbers. If they need to
reach me, they can. Otherwise, if they don't hear from me
(or the police or a hospital, somewhere) they can assume I'm
okay, and will be in touch when I return. (And I doubt
whether anyone important to me would object to a call in the
middle of the night if it were a real emergency.)

Old May 5th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Frank Slootweg

SOSman wrote:

[...]

Good if your method works for you, as long as you realize that it
won't work for everybody. For example your method depends on third
parties (police, hospital) to notify your relatives. What if you are
somewhere where no-one will find you if something happens to you? I.e.
your relatives get no message, so they assume you are OK, but in reality
you're not. Under these conditions, *you* must be able to raise the
alarm / notify the emergency services, and for that you need a
communication device, like the EPIRB (satelite safecty beacon) I
mentioned.
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:46 PM

SOSman wrote:

[...]

Highly unlikely, in any city large enough to support an
opera company! (In any case, we all have to die sometime,
and I'm sure family and friends would get the message if I
didn't return as scheduled, and had not so-informed them.)

I.e.
your relatives get no message, so they assume you are OK, but in reality
you're not. Under these conditions, *you* must be able to raise the
alarm / notify the emergency services, and for that you need a
communication device, like the EPIRB (satelite safecty beacon) I
mentioned.

There are always people willing to relieve you of your
money, selling "essential" products for which the need is
non-existent (or at best slight). I just choose not to be
suckered in.

Old May 5th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Frank Slootweg

SOSman wrote:

[...]

Sigh! The "you" in my last (quoted) sentence is obviously the generic
you, i.e. not you personally. (Clue: "everybody").

I.e.
your relatives get no message, so they assume you are OK, but in reality
you're not. Under these conditions, *you* must be able to raise the
alarm / notify the emergency services, and for that you need a
communication device, like the EPIRB (satelite safecty beacon) I
mentioned.

There are always people willing to relieve you of your
money, selling "essential" products for which the need is
non-existent (or at best slight). I just choose not to be
suckered in.

Exactly which part(s) of the OP's "What if you break a leg out on the
trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?"
didn't you understand? Something is not "being suckered in" just because
*you* don't need it.
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Mxsmanic

SOSman writes:

What if your travel plans go wrong? What if you break a leg out on the
trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?
http://SendingOutAnSOS.com helps you develop a travel plan before you
set out. If you don't make it back by a pre-arranged date, we send an
SOS message containing your travel intentions to your loved ones (or
other contacts). Hopefully they will come to your rescue!

Let me guess: it's entirely Internet-based, so your clients must
communicate with it via the Internet, even though Internet access can be
difficult or impossible to find in much of the world. And your
notification service consists of an e-mail to someone, which is useless
throughout large parts of the world where people have no access to
e-mail.

And the whole idea is to allow you to collect money from people without
ever leaving your house, just by typing on a keyboard. And you want to
do it all with zero overhead.

Now let's see ... ah, yes, it works just as I've just described! What a
coincidence. A largely useless service for which people are expected to
pay money.

Tell me, what prevents a person from simply using his Internet or SMS
access to send his own message to loved ones saying that he's okay?
What prevents him from given them a copy of his itinerary in advance?
Why should he pay you for services that are trivially easy for him to
carry out for himself?

Doesn't anyone do market research any more? Why would people pay
something for nothing?

You don't even want to pay for advertising, so you spam a free medium
not intended for commercial use, called USENET.

Old May 5th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Mxsmanic

Frank Slootweg writes:

Exactly which part(s) of the OP's "What if you break a leg out on the
trail? What will happen to you if nobody knows where to find you?"
didn't you understand? Something is not "being suckered in" just because
*you* don't need it.

Nobody needs it. There are zero-cost alternatives to this service that
work just as well and are at least as convenient, if not more.