Tourist robbing in Barcelona?

Old May 25th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Simon Elliott

Default Tourist robbing in Barcelona?

On 12/05/2005, Derek McBryde wrote:
here's a website just on the street crimes/scams in Barcelona....
some of the stories are a few years old (you'll see mention of
pesetas) but I've heard very recently that several of these are
still very much in play.

http://www.jones.tc/barna/scams.html

Yes I read the comments on that site. Put me right off Barcelona.
I know these scams happen all over but Barcelona sounds like the scam
capital of Europe.

I had no problems at all in Barcelona. I've had people trying it on in
Brighton, which is quite near where I live.

--
Simon Elliott http://www.ctsn.co.uk
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Bill McKee

There are pickpockets in Barcelona. I got picked in 2001 and I still liked
Spain and Barcelona. Poop happens. I lost my day wallet with about $50 in
it. The locals were helpful and sympathetic. They do not like thieves
either. There are scumbags in all cities, just try to be careful and keep
only what you can afford to lose in an outside pocket. My credit cards, and
main money is in a money pouch inside my clothes.
Bill

.. .

Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Mike S.

In article ,
Derek McBryde wrote:
On 12 May 2005 14:44:38 -0700, "Cassie"
wrote:

here's a website just on the street crimes/scams in Barcelona....
some of the stories are a few years old (you'll see mention of pesetas)
but I've heard very recently that several of these are still very much
in play.

http://www.jones.tc/barna/scams.html

Yes I read the comments on that site. Put me right off Barcelona.
I know these scams happen all over but Barcelona sounds like the scam
capital of Europe.

We went to Spain a couple of years ago, and I happended upon that web site
prior to our departure. Scared the crap out of me, but in the end it just
prepared us to be a little more careful. There were no incidents at all,
though we did avoid Las Ramblas. Next stop: Madrid. Crossing the street
going to the park next to the Palacio Real, two eastern European young
ladies bumped my wife and it was obvious to me what was going to happen
next. I started yelling and swinging and they ran off.