Pyrenees summer 2006

Old November 20th, 2005, 10:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Pyrenees summer 2006

Hi

We're thinking of taking 1 week of our summer holiday in the Pyrenees next
year (Probably late august 2006) We don't know the area at all, but I've
been doing some Internet research and I'm starting to "home in" on the area
around Cauterets, Luz Ardiden, (Luz-Saint-Sauveur) Gedre or Gavarnie.

At that time we'll be a family of 4 (Children 6 & 4) and we' like:

a) To be based in a town or village with shops and (at least 1) restaurant.

b) To be able to go foe some relatively simple walks (Bearing in mind we
have a 4 year old) of perhaps 4-10Km

c) Be able to do some other stuff like: Cable-car rides, river trip, Luge
d'ete (or however, that is spelt) or just go to a play area for the kids.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or suggestions. I don't know what the
area is like in the Summer (or any time for that matter) but to give you
some idea of what we're after, a couple of years ago we had a week in an
apartment in Lauterbrunnen (Switzerland) and it was fantastic. It took a
couple of days to get settled, but after that we were walking to the bakery
to buy sticky buns and then having long walks and pic-nics on the mountains.

Cheers

Rob

Old November 20th, 2005, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Rob Kings wrote:
[...]

The eastern part of the Pyrenees is to be considered too, more dry and
sunny, very pleasant in summer.
http://www.font-romeu.fr/
http://www.lespyrenees.net/index_us.asp
I still remember very pleasant holidays in Formiguère.
http://www.formigueres.com/

Old November 21st, 2005, 08:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Juan

Thanks for the suggestions, bit I think they might be too far East. I
perhaps should have said that for the 2nd week we plan to head up towards
somewhere like Arcachon. We'd like a middle "transfer" of something like 4-5
hours by car of possible to a coastal campsite. We could head to the Med,
but by going up the Atlantic coast we reduce the drive home (To England)
which helps.

Out of curiosity, next to Font Romeu, is that really an "enclave" of
Catalonia surrounded by France? how does that work?

Rob

Old November 21st, 2005, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Rob Kings" wrote in message

Out of curiosity, next to Font Romeu, is that really an "enclave" of
Catalonia surrounded by France? how does that work?

There is ceratinly a village/small town called Llivia which is part of Spain
but is entirely surrounded by France. Italy has a similar enclave, Campione
d'Italia, surrounded by Switzerland, albeit with the possibility, I think,
of reaching the rest of Italy by boat!

Alan Harrison

Old November 21st, 2005, 11:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Alan

Yes, that's the place. How does it work fo rservices and so on. Do the
rubbish trucks drive across 2 borders? What about Post there most be lots of
areas where this is a total pain.

Rob

Old November 21st, 2005, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Rob Kings a écrit :

Alan

Yes, that's the place. How does it work fo rservices and so on. Do the
rubbish trucks drive across 2 borders? What about Post there most be lotsof
areas where this is a total pain.

Rob

I think there is a "long" bridge passing over french territory.

didier meurgues