HongKong - Which Hotel out of these?

Old January 24th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Mark

Default HongKong - Which Hotel out of these?

I'm going to HK in August with premier holidays (UK)
http://www.premierholidays.co.uk
I'm there for 4 nights and its part of my honey moon
I have the option to stay on HK island or in Kowloon, I want a real nice
hotel with a swimming pool and prefereably a jacuzzi
I also want it to be quite close to the shops etc.

here are the options
HK ISLAND
.. Novotel Century Hong Kong
.. Ritz-Carlton
.. South Pacific

KOWLOON
.. Harbour Plaza Hong Kong
.. Kowloon Shangri-La
.. Marco Polo Gateway
.. Sheraton Hong Kong
.. Stanford Hillview
.. The Peninsula

any advice appreciated
thanks
Mark

Old January 24th, 2004, 12:26 PM
DebTraveler

Sorry, I can't offer advice, but the link below has reviews for several of
the hotels you are considering.

Thanks.

http://www.asiahotels.com/hl/Hong_Kong.asp

Old January 24th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Elaine

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..
I'm going to HK in August with premier holidays (UK)
http://www.premierholidays.co.uk
I'm there for 4 nights and its part of my honey moon
I have the option to stay on HK island or in Kowloon, I want a real nice
hotel with a swimming pool and prefereably a jacuzzi
I also want it to be quite close to the shops etc.

here are the options
HK ISLAND
. Novotel Century Hong Kong
. Ritz-Carlton
. South Pacific

KOWLOON
. Harbour Plaza Hong Kong
. Kowloon Shangri-La
. Marco Polo Gateway
. Sheraton Hong Kong
. Stanford Hillview
. The Peninsula

Firstly - Congratulations!

We went to Hong Kong with Premier as part of our honeymoon 3 years ago.
Don't know if you've used them before, but we were sufficiently impressed
with their service and the deal we got that we're going to Kuala Lumpur and
Borneo with them this coming April.

There are pros and cons for choosing either Kowloon or Island-side, but
links between the 2 are so good that, for us at least, it just comes down to
the view from your hotel window and imho Kowloon wins hands down on that
one. We had previously stayed twice on the Island, but for our honeymoon
chose the Kowloon Shangri-La and highly recommend it. However, if price is
no object, then I don't think you can beat the Peninsula for sheer luxury
and style. (We were there for 7 nights and couldn't justify that much extra
cost!)

As far as pools are concerned, I know the Shangri-La has one but I can't
tell you what it's like. Even though we were in HK for a week and it was
our third visit, we didn't want to waste valuable sight-seeing time lazing
by the pool, because we knew we'd have plenty of time for that on the second
part of our honeymoon in Langkawi, but that's just us.

HTH

Elaine

Old January 24th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Steve Cain

The Peninsula in Kowloon is generally regarded as the finest hotel in the
world.....!

Honeymoon? Yes the Peninsula, Hong Kong, Bangkok anywhere!! If you're
hurting for bucks you don't have to do the Roll Royce transfers and could
slum it on the airport express or, god forbid, an airbus. Have a good trip.

Old January 24th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Chris Blunt

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:30:55 -0000, "Mark"
wrote:

I'm going to HK in August with premier holidays (UK)
http://www.premierholidays.co.uk
I'm there for 4 nights and its part of my honey moon
I have the option to stay on HK island or in Kowloon, I want a real nice
hotel with a swimming pool and prefereably a jacuzzi
I also want it to be quite close to the shops etc.

here are the options
HK ISLAND
. Novotel Century Hong Kong
. Ritz-Carlton
. South Pacific

KOWLOON
. Harbour Plaza Hong Kong
. Kowloon Shangri-La
. Marco Polo Gateway
. Sheraton Hong Kong
. Stanford Hillview
. The Peninsula

any advice appreciated

The package surely can't be the same price for each of those hotels?
The top three, in order of my preference, would be.

1. The Peninsula
2. Ritz-Carlton
3. Sheraton Hong Kong

Chris

Old January 24th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Elaine

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message

The package surely can't be the same price for each of those hotels?
The top three, in order of my preference, would be.

1. The Peninsula
2. Ritz-Carlton
3. Sheraton Hong Kong

Would that the price were the same :-) Prices vary according to which hotel
you choose. Per person, per night prices in August are Sheraton £44, R-C
£74 and the Pen £120. The Shangri-La is £71, so you can see why we stayed
there for 7 nights and not the Peninsula!

Elaine

Old January 24th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On 24 Jan 2004 08:21:50 -0800, the renowned
(cliff) wrote:

No need to agonize over the lists ... the Peninsula is it

Be sure to visit the mens' room in Felix bar so you can p*ss on the
world far below.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old January 25th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Mark

the prices do vary but we'll get a deal on whatever
from what you say we wont be able to afford the pen!
so is the ritz carlton nice then?