Saving Money on Hotels, Etc.

Old June 5th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evelyn C. Leeper

Default Saving Money on Hotels, Etc.

This may be obvious, but just in case it's not:

If you use expedia, orbitz, or whatever to find hotels, before booking,
check the hotel's own web site for prices. For a recent booking,
expedia wanted 441 pounds, while the hotel site booked it for 330 pounds!

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper

Old June 5th, 2005, 07:11 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:

This may be obvious, but just in case it's not:

If you use expedia, orbitz, or whatever to find hotels, before booking,
check the hotel's own web site for prices. For a recent booking,
expedia wanted 441 pounds, while the hotel site booked it for 330 pounds!

I've had similar experiences. Unless I can contact the
hotel directly to confirm, I hesitate to make reservations
through Expedia or the other services. I have heard tales
of people arriving to claim reservations the hotel claims it
never heard of. That being a consideration, it saves time to
simply contact the hotel directly in the first place. (Also,
the "amenities" listed by Expedia may not always exist in
actual fact - mini-bars, breakfast included in the price,
"close" to "X" attraction, etc.)

Old June 5th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Jan

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:

This may be obvious, but just in case it's not:

If you use expedia, orbitz, or whatever to find hotels, before
booking, check the hotel's own web site for prices. For a recent
booking, expedia wanted 441 pounds, while the hotel site booked it
for 330 pounds!

I've had similar experiences. Unless I can contact the
hotel directly to confirm, I hesitate to make reservations
through Expedia or the other services. I have heard tales
of people arriving to claim reservations the hotel claims it
never heard of. That being a consideration, it saves time to
simply contact the hotel directly in the first place. (Also,
the "amenities" listed by Expedia may not always exist in
actual fact - mini-bars, breakfast included in the price,
"close" to "X" attraction, etc.)

We've pulled out of being included on expedia.co.uk . Expedia do not in our
experience pass on relevant details to either the guest or hotel. eg We do
not accept children under 5 years, it quite clearly states this on the site
of the internet booking agency we primarily deal with ( companies like
Expedia link to this). Although on the Expedia booking form it asks for
childrens ages, it will accept a reservation( even if the hotel won't).and
doesn't pass this information on. Quite often we have no means of contacting
a guest prior to arrival as these companies do not forward phone or email
details. Equally As specific hotel details are not passed back to the
guest they are in turn not aware of any cancellation policy in place or
unless they do their own hotel search of the facilities on offer in the
hotel booked.

Jan