A little cruise Trivia !!

Old September 10th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Default A little cruise Trivia !!

Ok witch cruiseship had the first ever Lido Cafe ? Hint she was build
in 1957 and is not cruising any more .And i think she's still layed in
Greece .
Ken G........

Old September 10th, 2005, 08:39 PM
How B

Karen wrote:
How B wrote:

wrote:

Ok witch cruiseship had the first ever Lido Cafe ? Hint she was build
in 1957 and is not cruising any more .And i think she's still layed in
Greece .
Ken G........

I'll play... was it a Sitmar ship? Or maybe Home Lines? I'd guess it
has to be Italian.

How B

I think the term "lido" was an Italian idea on passenger ships.

Incidentally, for a great history of the Italian ships, pick up a copy
of Peter Kohler's excellent "The Lido Fleet."

Karen

Hi Karen,

Just got it a couple of months ago... it's selling for a pretty penny on
eBay, Amazon, and the like. Just looked on ebay... for anyone who's
interested, there's a copy listed as "buy it now" for $45. Amazon has
one for $205!!!

Great read, I'll bet you have a great collection.

How B

Old September 10th, 2005, 09:15 PM

Come on Keran you should know this one !! Hope you have a day like
today on your cruise when you go,at the end of the month. I'm watching
the ships go out soon .
Ken G.........

Old September 10th, 2005, 09:16 PM

Hi How B no it;s not.
Ken G

Old September 10th, 2005, 10:12 PM
How B

Karen wrote:
How B wrote:

wrote:

Come on Keran you should know this one !! Hope you have a day like
today on your cruise when you go,at the end of the month. I'm watching
the ships go out soon .
Ken G.........

Wave to my friends Bob and Sheila as they leave on their Carnival
Canadian Maritime cruise today!

Three more weeks, Ken. And yes, I hope we get a day like today to
sail out of New York. I expect Tom, Penny, Ben and you to be over at
Liberty State Park to wave us a hearty bon voyage :-)

Aha! Another clue... if Karen should know it, then it must be a HAL
ship...am I getting warmer?

Actually, HAL's ROTTERDAM V did have a Lido, but she launched in
September 1959. Ken said 1957. That, plus, she's not now in Greece.
I don't think any HAL ship is. I'm thinking it's gotta be an Italian
Line vessel.

Maybe Statendam? Looking at the Bill Miller collection on my shelves,
it's from 1957. HAL's first ship to do a grand world voyage, 110 days
from Hoboken

How B

Old September 11th, 2005, 01:06 AM

Yes your right How B it was the Statendam of 1957 . In the early 70's
when HAL went to all cruising . she was refitted with the first ever
Lido Cafe . I never sail her as the Statendam but did cruise on her as
the Regent Star in 1990 .She wasn't a big ship but felt like one when
we were are her . Dose anybody here remember Regeny ? We did a back to
back cruises with them back in Feb 1990 on the Regent Sea & Star .The
food was very good . I still think they might be around today . But
they got to big to fast with two menny older ships to fill . But it
was a great line if you like older Ocean Linners !!
Ken G...........

Old September 11th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Gregory C. Read

We have tickets for October 5th matinee for Spamalot. They are really
getting tough to get. Still looking for a reasonable hotel.
Will be watching "Search for The Holy Grail" for the third time this
weekend.

--
Greg
lid

"Karen " wrote in message

Nuts. I want to keep playing, but we're off to New York City to see
"Spamalot"

Karen, "nudge-nudge, wink-wink"

Old September 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Reef Fish

And i think she's still layed in Greece .

Your comment reminds me only of Sarah Pippelini.

-- Bob.