UK becomes more civilized !

Old November 15th, 2005, 09:21 PM

Default UK becomes more civilized !

Longer pub opening gets go-ahead

Ministers say relaxing laws will help prevent binge drinking
The government has beaten off a last-ditch attempt to prevent pubs
opening round-the-clock from next week.
A Conservative motion to cancel the part of the Licensing Act allowing
extended hours was defeated by 74 votes in the Commons.

Opponents say later closing times for England and Wales will lead to
increased anti-social behaviour.

But ministers say the plans, which come into effect on 24 November,
will encourage "grown-up" drinking habits.

'Potential problems'

The Licensing Act went through Parliament in 2003, but the Tory motion
would have delayed extended hours until at least the New Year.

Licensing minister James Purnell told BBC News existing laws, with an
11pm "curfew", had "patently failed" to stop binge drinking.

He added: "We think that having hours decided locally by local councils
is absolutely the right thing to do.

"If people want to have a quiet drink after going to the cinema or
getting home from work, there's nothing wrong with that."

Two Labour MPs, former ministers Frank Field and Kate Hoey, voted
against the government.

Earlier, shadow culture secretary Theresa May said that during the last
two years there had been more evidence from police, doctors, judges and
the general public of potential problems with the plan.

The Lib Dems backed the Tory motion, which was lost by 228 votes to
302.

Posters target drunk yobs

Party culture spokeswoman Jo Swinson said: "There's an increasing
feeling among the public that it's not the right course to take and
it's going to exacerbate the binge-drinking culture."

BBC political correspondent Jo Coburn said the vote had "never been in
any doubt", but that Conservatives had wanted to "highlight something
they feel is unpopular" with the public.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport said only 700 of the
190,000 premises that could apply for 24-hour licences had done so.

But 75% had asked for an opening times extension of between one and
three hours.

Old November 15th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Andy Pandy

wrote in message
oups.com...
but it will change, one of the great things about Belgium is having a
beer on the way to work

Don't know about that but it'll be nice to be able to have a beer on the way
home from work when I finish at midnight....

--
Andy

Old November 15th, 2005, 10:18 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Andy Pandy wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
but it will change, one of the great things about Belgium is having a
beer on the way to work

Don't know about that but it'll be nice to be able to have a beer on the way
home from work when I finish at midnight....

Until now, another advantage of train travel! They're not covered by
licensing laws and can serve alcohol whenever they want.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Andy Pandy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Longer pub opening gets go-ahead

Ministers say relaxing laws will help prevent binge drinking
The government has beaten off a last-ditch attempt to prevent pubs
opening round-the-clock from next week.
A Conservative motion to cancel the part of the Licensing Act allowing
extended hours was defeated by 74 votes in the Commons.

[snip]

The Lib Dems backed the Tory motion, which was lost by 228 votes to
302.

I never thought I'd ever see the day when NuLab do something I agree with which
both the LibDems and Tories oppose....

--
Andy

Old November 15th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Andy Pandy

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy"
wrote in message
news:1h639ww.1glkmru7f0bn6N%this_address_is_for_sp ...
Don't know about that but it'll be nice to be able to have a beer on the way
home from work when I finish at midnight....

Until now, another advantage of train travel! They're not covered by
licensing laws and can serve alcohol whenever they want.

Not many serve a decent pint of real ale though....

Wasn't there some proposal mooted recently to ban alcohol on trains?

--
Andy