Suggestions for European Trip

Old November 18th, 2005, 01:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Suggestions for European Trip

Hi,

My daughter will be doing her last semester in La Rochelle, France. Her last
class is May 19th, 2006. My wife, son, and I want to spend the following
week with her visiting France and Italy. I can find decent flights using
"Sidestep.com" or "Kayak.com", and I've even read about "RyanAir" in this
group. What concerns me though are the hotels, and getting around, car or
rail? Any help to make this a first time European vacation would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old November 18th, 2005, 01:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

My wife, son, and I want to spend the following week with her
visiting France and Italy.

If you only have one week, you can't visit "France and Italy" in any
meaningful way. At most, you would have time to see two cities, and
you might want to spend the whole week in one.

What concerns me though are the hotels, and getting around,
car or rail?

Definitely use public transport to get around rather than renting a car
- traffic and parking are a nightmare in most major European cities.

As far as getting between cities, stick to either rail or cheap
airlines (ryanair, easyjet, etc.)

Old November 18th, 2005, 02:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Iceman" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife, son, and I want to spend the following week with her
visiting France and Italy.

If you only have one week, you can't visit "France and Italy" in any
meaningful way.

Correction two weeks

Old November 18th, 2005, 04:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"saycoda" wrote in message

"Iceman" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife, son, and I want to spend the following week with her
visiting France and Italy.

If you only have one week, you can't visit "France and Italy" in any
meaningful way.

Correction two weeks

It will be tight to see much of both countries in 2 weeks. I would stay
mostly in France. 4-5 days minimum in Provence, and then up to Paris for
the same and 2 days for Normandy.

Old November 18th, 2005, 06:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

saycoda wrote:
Hi,

My daughter will be doing her last semester in La Rochelle, France. Her last
class is May 19th, 2006. My wife, son, and I want to spend the following
week with her visiting France and Italy. I can find decent flights using
"Sidestep.com" or "Kayak.com", and I've even read about "RyanAir" in this
group. What concerns me though are the hotels, and getting around, car or
rail? Any help to make this a first time European vacation would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

First thing you need is a good guide book. For suggestions go to
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap10/guide.htm

For an introduction to rail travel see
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm

Before driving in Europe park for a while at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap18/auto.htm

Since you are starting in southwest France I suggest you consider a
visit to San Sebastian, Spain as part of your itinerary. It is one of
the most beautiful cities in Europe. Stop in Biarritz on your way south.
Then go east to Provence, north to Burgundy, and finish in Paris. Save
Italy for your next trip.

Late May is the perfect time to travel in Europe. The weather is
generally good, daylight hours are long, and it is still a month or two
before the tourists hit the road.

John Bermont

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/
This email powered by Thunderbird. Learn more at:
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Iceman wrote:
My wife, son, and I want to spend the following week with her
visiting France and Italy.

If you only have one week, you can't visit "France and Italy" in any
meaningful way. At most, you would have time to see two cities, and
you might want to spend the whole week in one.

What concerns me though are the hotels, and getting around,
car or rail?

Definitely use public transport to get around rather than renting a car
- traffic and parking are a nightmare in most major European cities.

As far as getting between cities, stick to either rail or cheap
airlines (ryanair, easyjet, etc.)

With four people travelling together, I would look at the costs
carefully before recommending public transport over a car. Certainly you
will not get any group savings with the lowcost airlines.

Plus, if the daughter is studying in France for some time now, maybe she
has had some driving experience?

T.
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Traveling around europe by rail is to recommended , there are numerous
passes to be had, such as euro rail pass for those resident outside the
eu. european rail travel is very well developed. You see the country
without having to concentate on driving in a foreign country. Travel by
car you are insulated in your tin box although there is more
flexibility, but they are not useful in large cities, where good public
transport can be had.
It really depends on what you really want to do, city hotel will be
more expensive than staying out in the countryside.
Don't try to cover too much ground, you will simply miss too much.

Old November 18th, 2005, 10:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Iceman

Definitely use public transport to get around rather than renting a car
- traffic and parking are a nightmare in most major European cities.

depends if he wants to visit big cities or elsewhere of course.
Trains just whizz through the countryside and don't visit those
small charming places. I'm currently working my way through
Italy, I cant say driving in Italy is great, but a car gets me to
lots of places other than the main cities. In big cities you just
get parked and walk.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:40:32 GMT, "saycoda" wrote:

Hi,

My daughter will be doing her last semester in La Rochelle, France. Her last
class is May 19th, 2006. My wife, son, and I want to spend the following
week with her visiting France and Italy. I can find decent flights using
"Sidestep.com" or "Kayak.com", and I've even read about "RyanAir" in this
group. What concerns me though are the hotels, and getting around, car or
rail? Any help to make this a first time European vacation would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

http://members.lycos.nl/joson2004/

Jacqueline

Old November 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

saycoda wrote:
Hi,

My daughter will be doing her last semester in La Rochelle, France.
Her last class is May 19th, 2006. My wife, son, and I want to spend
the following week with her visiting France and Italy. I can find
decent flights using "Sidestep.com" or "Kayak.com", and I've even
read about "RyanAir" in this group. What concerns me though are the
hotels, and getting around, car or rail? Any help to make this a
first time European vacation would be appreciated.

You don't say what concerns you about hotels and transportation. But I think
the answer to your question probably depends on what you and your family
like to do and where you want to spend your time.

One rule of thumb that is often invoked in this list is to use trains to get
about between cities (or to fly, if the distance is great and your wallet is
fat) and a car to see the countryside. There are exceptions to this general
rule, obviously, but European rail is excellent way to get around, and a car
is usually a big pain in the neck in the city.

You can do both, by only renting a car for a segment of your trip. Rent the
day you leave City A, drive about, and return it the day you arrive in City
B. You'll get better rates if you reserve before you leave.

I don't know how helpful these general logistical observations are, but have
a great trip!