FBI: 139 Officers Killed in Line of Duty

Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default FBI: 139 Officers Killed in Line of Duty

Well 30 years later you haven't improved the french, and neither have you
What holds you here if it's so bad

"Earl Evleth" a écrit dans le message de news:
On 22/11/05 0:20, in article , "Mike
O'Sullivan" wrote:

The number of deaths in England and Wales reached 44, up eight from last
year and more than two and a half times the 17 deaths in 2000-01. Four
pedestrians died last year after being hit by vehicles answering
emergency calls and around half the fatal accidents involved drivers or
passengers in vehicles pursued by police.

The IPCC study follows the release in June of Home Office research
showing that the number of people killed or injured in police traffic
incidents, either involving emergency calls, pursuits or patrolling
vehicles, rose by 60 per cent in the year 2003-2004.

When we first came to France over 30 years ago I noticed then that
the response of car drivers to approaching emergency vehicles was
not like that in California. In California, at that time, people pulled
over and stopped to let the vehicles through. The French did not react
in that matter. The French have improved over the years but still
the response is not automatic for all.

Next, when driving in Paris I find it difficult to determine from what
direction the vehicles are coming, the echo of the sirens off the
buildings
makes that difficult. The worse case is an emergency vehicle trying to
get
through a traffic jam, often there is no room to get over much.