Crossing border by car from Canada to US

Old August 8th, 2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Victor Faraday

Default Crossing border by car from Canada to US

Next month, I plan to leave Toronto by car and drive to
Buffalo to catch a 2 p.m. flight home (I'm a US citizen). I'm just
wondering the best time to leave Toronto...long lines at border?
This will be on a Tuesday, and we both have passports and
other ID.

Also, I plan to rent a car in Buffalo and use it to go over into
Canada. Any problems with car rental companies about his?
I've been to Canada a couple of times before, but never driven there,
and I know these may seem like dumb questions, but with the
"terrorism" hysteria going on, I thought some of you guys
may have recent experiences.. THANKS

--
Vic

Old August 8th, 2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
James Robinson

"Victor Faraday" wrote:

Next month, I plan to leave Toronto by car and drive to
Buffalo to catch a 2 p.m. flight home (I'm a US citizen). I'm just
wondering the best time to leave Toronto...long lines at border?
This will be on a Tuesday, and we both have passports and
other ID.

I've never waited more than about 15 minutes at the Peace Bridge crossing.
As long as you aren't trying to drive across on a holiday weekend, you
should be OK.

You can look at the hourly traffic flows on the Peace Bridge web site. You
will see a peak at about 8 am, with traffic dropping off a bit by 10.
Overall, it doesn't change that much throughout the day.

http://www.peacebridge.com/traffic.php

Also, I plan to rent a car in Buffalo and use it to go over into
Canada. Any problems with car rental companies about his?

Just make sure the rental car company knows you want to go to Canada. They
have certain cars they use, and an endorsement on the contract. Other than
that, there is no issue. You might call them to ensure they have a car
available.
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Victor Faraday

"James Robinson" wrote in message
. ..

snip

Thanks for the info James.

Do you have a good guess on how long a drive from Mississauga to
the Buffalo airport on a business day?

--
Vic

Old August 8th, 2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
James Robinson

"Victor Faraday" wrote:

"James Robinson" wrote:

snip

Thanks for the info James.

Do you have a good guess on how long a drive from Mississauga to
the Buffalo airport on a business day?

I'd say 2 to 2.5 hours, depending on where you start in Mississauga, and
the time of day. When things are going well, and if you push the speed,
you can get from Toronto Airport to Buffalo airport in about 2 hours.

The worst section for delays will be on the QEW between Mississauga and
Burlington. Traffic can get quite badly backed up, even in the reverse
commute direction. It depends on construction delays and if there are any
accidents. Once past the Burlington Skyway, things usually roll along
pretty well.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Dave Smith

Victor Faraday wrote:

Next month, I plan to leave Toronto by car and drive to
Buffalo to catch a 2 p.m. flight home (I'm a US citizen). I'm just
wondering the best time to leave Toronto...long lines at border?
This will be on a Tuesday, and we both have passports and
other ID.

Also, I plan to rent a car in Buffalo and use it to go over into
Canada. Any problems with car rental companies about his?
I've been to Canada a couple of times before, but never driven there,
and I know these may seem like dumb questions, but with the
"terrorism" hysteria going on, I thought some of you guys
may have recent experiences.. THANKS

You should be able to drive from Toronto to Fort Erie in about 90 minutes
if you aren't dealing with rush hour traffic. The border is the big
problem. This past weekend there were major delays, like 1 1/2 -2 hours
to get over the bridge and through customs. The "terrorism" hysteria is
on the US side, and this weekend's delays may have been the result of the
combination of the long weekend traffic and a recent report of some
undercover officers crossing into the US at several points with phoney
papers.

FWIW I flew from Buffalo to denver on Sept 11,2002, and was expecting
problems due to it being the first anniversary on the attacks on the
WTC. I left really early in order to account for extra delays. There was
almost no car traffic on the bridge to Buffalo. I made it across in
record time. We breezed through airport security, which was not as
stringent as we ere accustomed to on Canadian and European flights.

Old August 9th, 2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
Smiles

Victor Faraday wrote:
Next month, I plan to leave Toronto by car and drive to
Buffalo to catch a 2 p.m. flight home (I'm a US citizen). I'm just
wondering the best time to leave Toronto...long lines at border?
This will be on a Tuesday, and we both have passports and
other ID.

Also, I plan to rent a car in Buffalo and use it to go over into
Canada. Any problems with car rental companies about his?
I've been to Canada a couple of times before, but never driven there,
and I know these may seem like dumb questions, but with the
"terrorism" hysteria going on, I thought some of you guys
may have recent experiences.. THANKS

--
Vic

consider a 2 hr drive

but call bridge for crossing times
1-800-715-6722
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
john

Victor Faraday wrote:
Next month, I plan to leave Toronto by car and drive to
Buffalo to catch a 2 p.m. flight home (I'm a US citizen). I'm just
wondering the best time to leave Toronto...long lines at border?
This will be on a Tuesday, and we both have passports and
other ID.

Also, I plan to rent a car in Buffalo and use it to go over into
Canada. Any problems with car rental companies about his?
I've been to Canada a couple of times before, but never driven there,
and I know these may seem like dumb questions, but with the
"terrorism" hysteria going on, I thought some of you guys
may have recent experiences.. THANKS

--
Vic

We crossed at Buffalo last year. It took us over an hour. Traffic was
backed up for a long way. They were working on new lanes and there were
two open. They asked us everything but if we had had sex that morning.
They had our plates and saw my sticker but they still think every
American is a potential threat, I guess.
Going into Canada they asked where we were going and for how long and
have a nice trip.
Bush is making the Canadians adopt his RFID passport garbage for
Americans. I haven't heard of one illegal Mexican getting into trouble
because he didn't get a passport. Instead they get SS, welfare, and our
jobs and a welcome from the Chambers of Commerce.
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
john

john wrote:
Victor Faraday wrote:
[...]

I take that back. It was at the bridge comming back to the Su.
Never had much delay at Buffalo but that was 2 years ago.
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:20:30 -0700, john wrote:

Americans. I haven't heard of one illegal Mexican getting into trouble
because he didn't get a passport. Instead they get SS, welfare, and our
jobs and a welcome from the Chambers of Commerce.

You can't get SS or welfare without a SS number and you're not going to
get that without citizenship. If you want to reduce the jobs they take,
I suggest you and children take jobs picking crops.
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.air
john

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:20:30 -0700, john wrote:

Americans. I haven't heard of one illegal Mexican getting into trouble
because he didn't get a passport. Instead they get SS, welfare, and our
jobs and a welcome from the Chambers of Commerce.

You can't get SS or welfare without a SS number and you're not going to
get that without citizenship. If you want to reduce the jobs they take,
I suggest you and children take jobs picking crops.

BS They are taking every job available. BECAUSE Employers are now saying
you take a cut in pay or we hire Jose.
Or they are not even given the chance.
In this Area they are hiring retail at 7.00 an hour because of Illegals.
Three years ago before they flooded the area they were paying 10.00 qan
hour entry level.