Hawaii, Maui

Old September 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TJ[_2_]

Default Hawaii, Maui

This is our first trip ever to Hawaii and Maui. My wife and I are
going to a wedding in Maui but will be there for at least 11 days so I
would appreciate any suggestions that some of you might have for
things to see and places to go that are of interest.......and also
things to avoid....... We have a car rented for the full period.

Thanks in advance for any suggestiuons you might have

Cheers

TJ in Toronto
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sally[_1_]

TJ wrote in news:qbjff3dqc90h6n4er22h6i20j9luaraoe4@
4ax.com:
This is our first trip ever to Hawaii and Maui. My wife and I are
going to a wedding in Maui but will be there for at least 11 days so I
would appreciate any suggestions that some of you might have for
things to see and places to go that are of interest.......and also
things to avoid....... We have a car rented for the full period.

Rent a bicycle. Ride it up Haleakala (10,000 feet in 40 miles). This is one
of the great bicycle mountain climbs in the USA.
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

sally wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:06:51 +0000 (UTC):

s TJ wrote in
s 4ax.com:
?? This is our first trip ever to Hawaii and Maui. My wife
?? and I are going to a wedding in Maui but will be there for
?? at least 11 days so I would appreciate any suggestions
?? that some of you might have for things to see and places
?? to go that are of interest.......and also things to
?? avoid....... We have a car rented for the full period.

s Rent a bicycle. Ride it up Haleakala (10,000 feet in 40
s miles). This is one of the great bicycle mountain climbs in
s the USA.

Coasting down is the more common option but does not seem much
fun to me. Pedalling up! How young are you and in what physical
shape? Watching the sun set and looking at the stars on
Haleakala is well worth doing but it can get really cold. There
really can be frost and ice! There is visitor center that gives
some shelter but not much. We knew we were going to do it and
brought winter coats and needed them!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old September 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TJ[_2_]

To answer James' question:

How young are you and in what physical
shape?

We are in our 70s and we are in pretty decent shape physically for our
ages and we are used to hiking and cycling and do a fair amount of
both around here in the Greater Toronto area and in Arizona.....I
don't know about 40 miles up a mountain though.....we will have to
think about that one..........We like to do a lot of stuff that is
active beyond just playing golf and we particularly enjoy the Arts and
especially Jazz and Classical Music....

Thanks for all of your comments so far.....

TJ

Old September 24th, 2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maurice ON4BAM

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:46:29 -0500, George Max
wrote:

Sunset on top of Haleakala is good, but you have to get up pretty
darn early to do that. There's a horseback ride that goes into the

No, you don't have to get up early for a sunset... ;-)

crater quite a ways, there's a bike ride down the mountain too, though
they start those at the park entrance about 1/2 way up.

The road to Hana is very scenic. Stop at Hotel Hana Maui for lunch.

Make sure you fill up before driving the road to Hana, gas prices are
horrendous there.

If you visit another island, my suggestion is the Big Island. More
rural, but that's where the active volcano, Kilauea, is. And there's

I'll second that

coffee planations to see. You could take a tour to the top of Mauna
Kea to where all the telescopes are. I don't think you get into any
of them, but looks interesting to do.

You can NOT get into the telescopes. The view however is one of the
best I've ever seen.

I got a report with pictures on my website.

Old September 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill[_2_]

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:51:57 -0400, TJ wrote:

This is our first trip ever to Hawaii and Maui. My wife and I are
going to a wedding in Maui but will be there for at least 11 days so I
would appreciate any suggestions that some of you might have for
things to see and places to go that are of interest.......and also
things to avoid....... We have a car rented for the full period.

Old Lahaina Luau is great, but book tickets far in advance because it
sells out quickly. The road to Hana is very scenic, but not much fun
for the driver. The summit of Haleakala is worth the trip, but be
advised that it will be pretty cold up there.

Old September 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Anonymous[_1_]

Start by buying MAUI REVEALED by Wizard Publications -
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html. I have all their
books!

Hana is a must. It is especially nice if you have a convertible.
Leave early so you have lots of time. You should stop freqently to
enjoy the many waterfalls and the views. Be sure to go past Hana to
the Seven Sacred Pools.

I recommend that you eat at least one at Roy's in either Kihei or
Lahaina (its quite a bit north of town proper). Their menu is an
Asian-Hawaiian fusion an simply to die for.

The Lahaina Luau is good. You can usually get a discount if you look
for it.

Have fun.
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:51:57 -0400, TJ wrote:

This is our first trip ever to Hawaii and Maui. My wife and I are
going to a wedding in Maui but will be there for at least 11 days so I
would appreciate any suggestions that some of you might have for
things to see and places to go that are of interest.......and also
things to avoid....... We have a car rented for the full period.

Thanks in advance for any suggestiuons you might have

The best meal we had in Maui was at Mama's Fish House,
http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/

I recommend it.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that TJ wrote in article
:

To answer James' question:

How young are you and in what physical
shape?

We are in our 70s and we are in pretty decent shape physically for our
ages and we are used to hiking and cycling and do a fair amount of
both around here in the Greater Toronto area and in Arizona.....I
don't know about 40 miles up a mountain though.....we will have to
think about that one..........We like to do a lot of stuff that is
active beyond just playing golf and we particularly enjoy the Arts and
especially Jazz and Classical Music....

We were around our 70s when we were there a few years ago, and we saw
cyclists far younger than us looking as they were really struggling,
though we saw proof at the top that at least some had made it. I had
been running marathons around that time, but I wouldn't have tried a
bike up that climb. :-)

However warm down below you will *definitely* need winter gear at the
summit if you plan to get out of your car. But it's a sight not to be
missed. Sunrise and sunset are the best viewing times, but managing to
get there on time for sunrise may not be easy.
--
Don Kirkman
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JC

Have lunch at one of the restaurants at the Four Seasons Hotel (Wailea).
I prefer Wailea because it's more secluded.