Ontario Hotels

Old January 25th, 2008, 05:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Default Ontario Hotels

Mark Brader wrote:

Lee Meadowcroft:
I've started to finalise my route as follows, haven't decided on
places to stay yet because I need to decide on my budget:

Sun - Arrive 17:00
Sun/Mon - Toronto
Tue/Wed - Niagara Falls
Wed - Nr Toronto
Thu - ...

Dave Smith:
Just a few thoughts. Niagara Falls is about 1 1/2 drive from Toronto.
Rather than spending 3/4 of an hour to get to a downtown hotel, getting
settled, unpacking and then having to pack again, go directly to
Niagara Falls and get the travel out of the way.

Agreed, if you're flying into Toronto and renting a car immediately on
arrival rather than later. At the airport you're already on the west side
of the city (it's just outside the western city limit, in Mississauga),
so you can get to the Niagara region without driving through Toronto.
Leaving the airport, take highway 427 south about 2 km to highway 401;
then 401 west about 6 km to highway 403, which also goes west.

After about 20 km, highway 403 merges onto the Queen Elizabeth Way
(QEW), which is signed British-style with destination cities instead
of the normal way with directions. At this point you are on the QEW to
Hamilton, which then curves around the end of Lake Ontario and becomes
the QEW to Niagara Falls. At some point highway 403 splits off again,
but now you ignore it and stay on the QEW. If Niagara Falls is your
destination, highway 420 is the usual exit.

(An alternate route from the airport is to stay on 427 south to the QEW,
but in my experience there tends to be more traffic that way.)

Personally, I would stick to the alternate. The OP is arriving at 5 pm on a
Sunday night and traffic will be light. It is one less highway exit to look
for in a new place and, for soem reason, some people seem to have trouble
finding 403. I don't, but I know a few people who do.

It is worth noting that 403 joins onto the QEW at Oakville and then starts up
again in Burlington so you have to be sure to follow the QEW when it curves to
the left.

Old January 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill[_2_]

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:46:46 -0800 (PST), Lee
wrote:

I've started to finalise my route as follows, haven't decided on
places to stay yet because I need to decide on my budget:

Fri/Sat/Sun - Ottawa

Any thoughts on this?

Three days in Ottawa is about 2 more than I would want to spend there,
but that's just personal preference.

Old January 25th, 2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lee[_5_]

wrote:
I've started to finalise my route as follows, haven't decided on
places to stay yet because I need to decide on my budget:

Fri/Sat/Sun - Ottawa
Any thoughts on this?

Three days in Ottawa is about 2 more than I would want to spend there,
but that's just personal preference.

Any particular reasons for that?? Guessing there's something you don't
like about Ottawa.
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

wrote:
I've started to finalise my route as follows, haven't decided on
places to stay yet because I need to decide on my budget:

Fri/Sat/Sun - Ottawa
Any thoughts on this?

Three days in Ottawa is about 2 more than I would want to spend there,
but that's just personal preference.

Any particular reasons for that?? Guessing there's something you don't
like about Ottawa.

I have been to Ottawa several times and always enjoyed it. It is a nice city
and ther is a lot to see and do there..

Old January 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"Dave Smith" schrieb

I have been to Ottawa several times and always enjoyed it. It is a nice
city
and ther is a lot to see and do there..

I agree. I've been there once and think it's a nice city. But that's the
problem: It's a city, so I wouldn't want to spend more than a day there.
I might go back someday to see the Museum of Civilization again, but
strictly speaking that's not in Ottawa ;-)

I simply don't like cities. The bigger the worse.

Jochen from Germany

Old January 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lee[_5_]

On 25 Jan, 16:31, "Jochen Kriegerowski" wrote:
"Dave Smith" schrieb

I have been to Ottawa several times and always enjoyed it. It is a nice
city
and ther is a lot to see and do there..

I agree. I've been there once and think it's a nice city. But that's the
problem: It's a city, so I wouldn't want to spend more than a day there.
I might go back someday to see the Museum of Civilization again, but
strictly speaking that's not in Ottawa ;-)

I simply don't like cities. The bigger the worse.

Jochen from Germany

Considering I live in Manchester (city has a population of 450,000,
region has a population of 2,500,000) I am not too daunted by the fact
that Ottawa is a city (population of 800,000) or of visiting Toronto
(population of 2,500,000). Although I do appreciate your comments
about visiting cities. We like the countryside and maybe will aim for
more days out of the cities than I have mentioned in my previous
posts. After all, it is not the cities that are attracting us to
Ontario.

So far the main comments I am going to take on board are that I should
start my tour in Niagara rather than Toronto (probably somewhere like
Niagara-on-the-lake rather than Niagara Falls) and that I should spend
less time staying in the cities and more time in the country (albeit
fairly close to the cities, say within 50 miles).

My tour is really starting to take shape and I really appreciate all
your comments. Your posts are helping me to understand what I want
from the first visit and realise what it is that attracted me to
Ontario in the first place. Again many thanks. Lee.
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"Lee" schrieb

Considering I live in Manchester (city has a population of 450,000,
region has a population of 2,500,000) I am not too daunted by the fact
that Ottawa is a city (population of 800,000) or of visiting Toronto
(population of 2,500,000).

I live in Potsdam just southwest of Berlin (Population 3,000,000),
and I've been to London a few times, but still... when I travel I want
to have nature. Lots of it! I guess I'd skip Manchester and rather
go hiking in the Peak District instead g

We have more than enough densely populated regions in Europe so
I really don't need that when travelling around Canada.

Your posts are helping me to understand what I want
from the first visit and realise what it is that attracted me to
Ontario in the first place.

I had been to British Columbia and Alberta many times since 1976
before I first came to Ontario a few years ago, and it "feels" very
European in comparison. I don't know what it is: The vegetation?
The shapes in the landscape that somehow remind me of Scandi-
navia? I have no idea why, but somehow it was "just like at home".
I'm sure you'll like it!

Jochen from Germany
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lee[_5_]

I had been to British Columbia and Alberta many times since 1976
before I first came to Ontario a few years ago, and it "feels" very
European in comparison. I don't know what it is: The vegetation?
The shapes in the landscape that somehow remind me of Scandi-
navia? I have no idea why, but somehow it was "just like at home".
I'm sure you'll like it!

Jochen from Germany

Funny you should say that. We have always talked about the idea of
migrating to Canada. Obviously Canada is a big place so we set out to
find a region that we thought would best suit us. We looked at things
like population, temperature, rain/snowfall, areas to live and work,
areas for vacation, countryside (lakes, forests etc). Our preferred
location after all that was Ontario. Looking further in to Ontario we
wanted to be near to a city for conveniences and employment (we enjoy
being close to Manchester with it's near 24 hour living) but far
enough away from the city to be close to the great outdoors. The
Toronto to Ottawa corridor looked ideal and hence our decision to
visit there during our honeymoon this year. I expect we will make a
few more visits over the coming couple of years, each with a different
focus. From what we have seen on paper, we think we would very much
enjoy Ontario and I'm sure we will fall in love with the place on our
first visit.

Old January 25th, 2008, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"Lee" schrieb

I expect we will make a few more visits over the coming
couple of years, each with a different focus.

That's definitely a good idea. And don't put on those rose
coloured "holiday spectacles"
....on your future visits that is, not on your honeymoon trip
of course! ;-)

Jochen from Germany
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

Lee

I know you may have heard this before Canada is big to travel from one
end to the other it is 5 days remember this is your honeymoon.

I like a few other will say from the airport go directly to Niagara
Falls do not waist time in Toronto best time to see the falls is at
sundown under the lights.see

http://accessniagara.com/blog
www.ontariotravel.net

my vote would be try a B&B in wine country
http://www.wineriesofniagaraonthelake.com/
http://www.bbniagarafalls.com/

September 1 should be our Labour day celibration marking the end of
summer holidays after that some sites close some guided tours monday to
friday

for Toronto go to
http://www.torontotourism.com/Visitor

for Ottawa
http://www.capcan.ca/bins/ncc_web_co...3-24522&lang=1

nothing against Montreal but I would leave it out of the loop
sea the country 14 days is not much
1 day Niagara
3 days Toronto
head north see the country in the great fall colours
go to Ottawa its good for a week but take 3-4 days
it is a days drive between Toronto and Ottawa each way
take highway 11 north to Huntsville switch to highway 60 threw the park
to Ottawa some nice places to stay in Huntsville or past BUT plan a stop
its worth at least a 2 day drive and a good camera
this gives you a quick drive fast look at Ontario

hope you enjoy the visit Lee

Lee wrote:
Hi all,

We are doing a fly/drive to Ontraio in September this year. Our flight
will arrive in Toronto on 31st Aug and we will be flying home again on
13th Sep. During our visit we would like to stay a few nights each in
Toronto, Niagra Falls, Ottawa, Montreal and maybe the odd night in
between.

Are there any hotels that you would suggest we stay in or that we
should specifically avoid. This is our honeymoon and whilst we would
like to stay in some top quality hotels, we do have a budget. For
every impressive hotel we stay at there has to be a reasonably priced
one to offset the costs.

Kind Regards,

Lee