how much outback

Old September 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Tim923

Default how much outback

I've been trying to read up about Australia, but most of the books at the
library are for children. How much of the country is considered outback?

http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Media?id=mp000282

Looking at this map, the east coast, southeast, and Perth look busy, but
most of it looks dead. Looks like at least 2/3rds or 4/5ths dead. What do
you think?

Old September 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

"Tim923" wrote in message
I've been trying to read up about Australia, but most of the books at the
library are for children. How much of the country is considered outback?

http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Media?id=mp000282

Looking at this map, the east coast, southeast, and Perth look busy, but
most of it looks dead. Looks like at least 2/3rds or 4/5ths dead. What
do you think?

Well, very few people live outside the areas you mentioned.

If you click for the political map, you will see the town of Halls Creek
appears on the map. It has a total population of 1,200 people. Its the
biggest population centre for hundreds of kms, so that is why it is shown.
That might give you an indication of just how few people live in these
areas. (My 12" globe of the earth shows Streaky Bay, where I was brought up,
with a total population of 850 people - I bet not too many towns outside of
Australia with populations of less than 1,000 people get mentioned on a $25,
12" globe of the earth!).

The top (northern) quarter of Australia is actually very fertile with good
rain, and could sustain a large population. This part is not dead, its just
empty ...

Old September 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate[_2_]

'Outback' is a state of mind. The 50 or so permanent residents of Birdsville
in far SW Queensland see themselves as a viable, supportive, functioning and
attractive community. Others would view Birdsville as the absolute pits -
remote, isolated, scorching hot in summer, bitterly cold in winter - few
facilities, little entertainment.

Who's correct??

Both groups probably.

It depends on you and your point of view.

There is no clinical/geographic definition of 'outback'.

Old September 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Tim923

Any chance for a population explosion in the top northern quarter of
Australia?

Old September 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Runge17

Any other question ?

Old September 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Tim923

Any other question ?

Yes.

Well, in my opinion, the US is just getting too populated. California and
Florida for example. It's all turning into traffic, crowds, and expense,
much like New Jersey. I'm wondering if the same thing is happening there.

Old September 7th, 2009, 01:29 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry

"Tim923" wrote in message
Any chance for a population explosion in the top northern quarter of
Australia?

Australia's immigration intake now stands at around 140,000 a year. But
there are plans to up this level to 250,000 in the near future.

One of Australia's largest cities is Adelaide, with a pop. of just over 1
million. So, every 4 years we'll get a population increase to fill a city
the size of Adelaide.

Maybe most of the immigrants will deceide to live in the north and build a
new city every 4 years? Don't hold your breath, most of the immigrants will
arrive in Sydney or Melbourne, and that's where they'll stay.