Road Food

Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:17 PM

Default Road Food

I'm missing all the posts on this. I posted a link to a site about road
food, and some other poster said it was worthless because it failed to
mention some single backwater place that he knows about. He missed the
whole point of the site, because he could add said backwater himself, then
as people visit the place they can add their approval (or not, I suppose).
For reference, the site is www.roadfood.com. Jane and Michael Stern are
noted reviewers, and they have many books out on the same topic, which is
good places to eat wherever you are. I suppose you could buy the books if
that would make you feel better about their recommendations.

I'm not affiliated, I just like the kinds of places they recommend.

Old August 24th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
K wrote:
I'm missing all the posts on this. I posted a link to a site about
road food, and some other poster said it was worthless because it
failed to mention some single backwater place that he knows about.
He missed the whole point of the site, ....

I agree with you. That poster's response was silly. As the "rant"
thread originally indicated, finding good food on the road can be
difficult. Any source which provides _some_ worthwhile options is
a plus, and these authors do seem to be savvy. I had read their
comments previously in Gourmet (I think, or possibly Bon Appetit),
where they have a semi-regular column. Hopefully the site will
grow.

Old August 25th, 2004, 01:23 PM
me

Hatunen wrote in message . ..
[snip]
William Least Heat Moon's great road book, "Blue Highways", tells
hwo he finally determined that the quality of the [comfort] food
at a local cafe/diner/dinor could be judged by counting the
number of calendars hung on the wall, normally distributed by
local businesses. The more calendars the better the food, a
five-calendar cafe being a place to cherish. I don't understand
it, but it seems to work, and I did find a five calendar
restaurant once, in Marysville, Kansas, behind a service station.

[snip]

The more popular the place with the locals, the more likely
they end up on the annual "calendar" list.

This is a tricky standard. I tried a similar one a few times
about lunch. Find the place with the longest line, fullest
parking lot, biggest crowd, and that's the good place. Problem
is these customers have needs I might not have, like proximity
to work, speed of service, personalized service for regulars.
Plus, it virtually guarentees a rather "lowest common denominator"
kinda place, which is rarely my desire.

Old September 4th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Cactus

Think you have to get off the interstates - find the locals. I recall
driivng
through Vermont and seeing all these country type place - diners and it did
seem that the food was local.