Woman Sues Airline For Humiliation Over Her Weight

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:23 AM
anonymous

Default Woman Sues Airline For Humiliation Over Her Weight

john wrote:

I think it is TOTALLY unfair for SWA to stop a passenger on the RETURN
trip and tell the passenger they must buy two seats to return home.

If SWA did not demand that the passenger buy two seats before he
boarded the first leg of his trip then they should not be able to make
that demand on the return trip.

What if the first flight wasn't full and the return flight was full?
If the flight isn't full you don't pay for the second seat.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:43 AM
Matt

"anonymous" wrote in message
m...
john wrote:

I think it is TOTALLY unfair for SWA to stop a passenger on the RETURN
trip and tell the passenger they must buy two seats to return home.

If SWA did not demand that the passenger buy two seats before he
boarded the first leg of his trip then they should not be able to make
that demand on the return trip.

What if the first flight wasn't full and the return flight was full?
If the flight isn't full you don't pay for the second seat.

Their policy is to make the fat passenger buy the extra seat whether it is
full or not. If flight turns out not to be full then they get a refund.

Matt

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:57 AM
anonymous

Matt wrote:
"anonymous" wrote in message
m...

john wrote:

I think it is TOTALLY unfair for SWA to stop a passenger on the RETURN
trip and tell the passenger they must buy two seats to return home.

If SWA did not demand that the passenger buy two seats before he
boarded the first leg of his trip then they should not be able to make
that demand on the return trip.

What if the first flight wasn't full and the return flight was full?
If the flight isn't full you don't pay for the second seat.

Their policy is to make the fat passenger buy the extra seat whether it is
full or not. If flight turns out not to be full then they get a refund.

Matt

Not really.. If they know the flight won't be full, there is no reason
to sell the extra seat to a person of size.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:15 AM
nobody

Matt wrote:
Their policy is to make the fat passenger buy the extra seat whether it is
full or not. If flight turns out not to be full then they get a refund.

Which is why the pax did have a valid argument: if they didn't complain about
her size for the outbound journey, how come they complained about it for the
inbound ?

If one is definitely oversized, they should be trated as such 100% of the time.

Airlines need to have a butt metre, something similar to hand luggage sizer.
This way, judgement is purely logical and involves no judgement from staff.

Once they've dealt with fat passengers, they will then have to deal with
smelly passengers. In the end, passengers will have to pass through some form
or arch that will not only measure their size, but detect too high
concentration of odours and especially alchool. And they'll need a camera
below the crotch to ensure that any pax wearing a skirt is wearing underwear
(with some artificial intelligence software to ring the alarm, since having a
human monitor that camera would be considerred pervert).

What other problems did "Airline" point out ?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:17 AM
nobody

anonymous wrote:
Not really.. If they know the flight won't be full, there is no reason
to sell the extra seat to a person of size.

But consistency would have the check in staff still get the fat passenger to
purchase the dummy extra ticket so that 2 boarding passes can be issued. This
way, the rule would be applied uniformly and the passenger could never use
"but on my last flight, they didn't find me to be too fat" argument.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:48 AM
Matt

"anonymous" wrote in message
m...

Their policy is to make the fat passenger buy the extra seat whether it

is
full or not. If flight turns out not to be full then they get a refund.

Matt

Not really.. If they know the flight won't be full, there is no reason
to sell the extra seat to a person of size.

If you'd watched Airline the other night you would have seen that their
policy is exactly what I stated. The person selling the ticket or checking
in the passenger has no way of knowing if the flight will be full or not.

Matt

Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:50 AM
Matt

"nobody" wrote in message
Matt wrote:
Their policy is to make the fat passenger buy the extra seat whether it

is
full or not. If flight turns out not to be full then they get a refund.

Which is why the pax did have a valid argument: if they didn't complain

about
her size for the outbound journey, how come they complained about it for

the
inbound ?

Your right, they obviously need to work on their consistency. I will laugh
very hard if the result of this lawsuit is that Southwest has to install ass
meters at the gates.

Matt

Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:32 AM
anonymous

Matt wrote:
"anonymous" wrote in message
m...

Their policy is to make the fat passenger buy the extra seat whether it

is

full or not. If flight turns out not to be full then they get a refund.

Matt

Not really.. If they know the flight won't be full, there is no reason
to sell the extra seat to a person of size.

If you'd watched Airline the other night you would have seen that their
policy is exactly what I stated. The person selling the ticket or checking
in the passenger has no way of knowing if the flight will be full or not.

?? I observed a WN flight a couple of weeks ago with about 20 people.
Are you saying that the person at the gate had no reason to expect that
another 100+ people weren't going to show up without reservations for a
7AM Saturday morning flight?

Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:56 AM
Matt

"anonymous" wrote in message
m...

If you'd watched Airline the other night you would have seen that their
policy is exactly what I stated. The person selling the ticket or

checking
in the passenger has no way of knowing if the flight will be full or

not.

?? I observed a WN flight a couple of weeks ago with about 20 people.
Are you saying that the person at the gate had no reason to expect that
another 100+ people weren't going to show up without reservations for a
7AM Saturday morning flight?

Ok, so when did you buy your ticket? I would guess that most of us don't
buy an airplane ticket the morning of the flight. So how is the reservation
agent or the website supposed to know if the flight is going to be full a
week or two before the flight? If you're to fat and have to buy an extra
ticket you better buy it in advance cause they ain't going to let just your
left ass cheek on the plane.

And, for arguments sake, it's very possible that 50 or 100 people could show
up for a flight without a reservation. Sometimes SW has flights departing
to the same destination within 30 or 45 minutes of each other. Anyone with
a full fare would probably hop over to the earlier flight, I know I do it
all the time. And in your example, let say for some reason 100 people
without reservations did show up. Would you volunteer to be the one to get
bumped because the gate agent decided to give your seat to a fat person that
needed it? I doubt it.

Bottom line is look at it from SWA's point of view. They have to have a
policy on when to make the person by another ticket for their other ass
cheek. So they can keep it simple and make the policy that the person has
to by the ticket no matter what, and then refund it if not needed. Or they
can make it complicated and say the gate agent can use their discretion on
when it's required and risk getting burned if that seat turns out to be
needed by another passenger.

Matt