Driving from Dallas to San Jose in September

Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:45 PM
Oracle User

Default Driving from Dallas to San Jose in September

Hi,

I am driving from Dallas to San Jose in a few days.
Since its still summer out here in Dallas, I was wondering if anyone
had any suggestions on how to prepare for the trip and what to expect.
Looking at the map, I can see that I will be hitting TX, NM, AZ and
CA. AAA has some hints on the gas availability, but nothing regarding
the temperatures.

Any info will be greatly helpful.

TIA
Ravi
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:12 PM
PeterL

"Oracle User" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am driving from Dallas to San Jose in a few days.
Since its still summer out here in Dallas,

It's summer here in San Jose also.

I was wondering if anyone
had any suggestions on how to prepare for the trip and what to expect.
Looking at the map, I can see that I will be hitting TX, NM, AZ and
CA. AAA has some hints on the gas availability, but nothing regarding
the temperatures.

It'll be hot, until you hit northern CA. Make sure you have a car check up,
esp. the cooling system. If you are on the interstates, it should be a big
deal. Carry drinking water with you. And coolant for the car.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:28 PM
PeterL

"PeterL" wrote in message

"Oracle User" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am driving from Dallas to San Jose in a few days.
Since its still summer out here in Dallas,

It's summer here in San Jose also.

I was wondering if anyone
had any suggestions on how to prepare for the trip and what to expect.
Looking at the map, I can see that I will be hitting TX, NM, AZ and
CA. AAA has some hints on the gas availability, but nothing regarding
the temperatures.

It'll be hot, until you hit northern CA. Make sure you have a car check

up,
esp. the cooling system. If you are on the interstates, it should be a

big
deal.

**shouldn't** be a big deal.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:01 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:08:12 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

You have 3 available routes. From the states involved you are
considering one of the two southern ones -- 30 or 20-19. You might
also consider going thru Denver for one direction if it is a round trip.
I35-135-40.

That's actually a rather high-mileage way to do it. I suggest
I-20, I-10, I-5, and where you leave I-5 depends on exactly where
you are going within the southern Bay Area.

Gas will be available but will get expensive as you go west. Fill up
whenever it looks less.

Assuming you're going through Phoenix to Blythe on I-10, fill
your tank up at Quartzsite (Love's is a good place). Gas prices
really jump when you cross the Colorado River.

On the northern route, fill up at Kingman.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:08 PM
Frank F. Matthews

For weather look at www.weather.com for 10 days ahead.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:11 PM
Hatunen

On 2 Sep 2004 11:45:45 -0700, (Oracle User)
wrote:

Hi,

I am driving from Dallas to San Jose in a few days.
Since its still summer out here in Dallas, I was wondering if anyone
had any suggestions on how to prepare for the trip and what to expect.
Looking at the map, I can see that I will be hitting TX, NM, AZ and
CA. AAA has some hints on the gas availability, but nothing regarding
the temperatures.

When we went through at the beginning of August, temps were over
110F almost all the way from Tucson to the Bay Area, and they
were 115F crossing the desert from Blythe to palm Springs and
almost 115F on I-5 from the Grapevine to the Bay Area. Of course
it ws unusual weather; it was even over 105F as we passed throguh
Pasadena.

Next week it can still be quite hot, and you can reasonably
expect temps over 100F across Arizona through Tucson and Phoenix,
across southern California from Blythe to Indio and alont I-5 in
the Central Valley.

Through Arizona and California gas is freely available except
from Phoenix to Quartzsite and from Blythe to Indio (where it's a
far piece between fuel stops).

If it is rush hour in Pheonix I strongly advise you to take the
bypass route to I-10 west via I-8 to Gila Bend and Buckeye; just
follow the signs at the I-8 cutoff. Through Phoenix, if you have
two or more in the car you will find Phoenix' carpool lanes to be
a godsend.