Londoners fear misery at Heathrow will drive away visitors - Time to BOYCOTT Heathrow

Old August 20th, 2007, 06:00 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.europe
Tchiowa

Default Londoners fear misery at Heathrow will drive away visitors - Time to BOYCOTT Heathrow

On Aug 3, 1:02 am, Jean Valjean
wrote:
Cretin, the article is being published worldwide, so that potential tourists
to the UK know IN ADVANCE about the HORRORS of Heathrow.

When they know, they can then make an informed decision, such as to AVOID
Heathrow, and use a more civilised airport, whether Manchester, Schiphil,
Frankfurt and Paris even.

Hang on a second. You're trying to say that Paris has a better
airport? CDG? When is it better? On alternate Tuesdays when there
isn't a strike?

I've seen more chaos at CDG than in Nigeria or Angola airports.

Old August 20th, 2007, 09:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.politics.misc
tim.....

"Hatunen" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:07:39 -0700,
wrote:

"William Black" wrote:

Flights to the USA from the UK are odd.
For a start there are an awful lot of them to a variety of airports in
the
USA, but from very few airports in the UK. I can fly direct to
Philadelphia
or Atlanta from Manchester, but not New York or Dallas, (well, I can
get
to Newark, which is actually worse for me than a change and onwards to
JFK)
for reasons that have nothing to do with anything very much

..er ..really?
EWR to GLA, EDI, and BRS
PHL to GLA in summer
ATL (changing to JFK) to EDI
For Midtown Manhattan, EWR and JFK are equally
convenient (or inconvenient as you see fit)
It makes sense that flights from smaller UK airports
should go to hubs on the US eastern seaboard.

The federal government controls which foreign airline can fly to
which American city.

Not any more it doesn't. It's agreed to give up that right
in return for Europe doing the same.

tim

And then, of course, the airport has to have
available landing slots.

Old August 20th, 2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.politics.misc
Mimi

"Stephen Clark" wrote in message
"William Black" wrote in message

"TMOliver" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote t...

Flights to the USA from the UK are odd.

For a start there are an awful lot of them to a variety of airports in
the USA, but from very few airports in the UK. I can fly direct to
Philadelphia or Atlanta from Manchester, but not New York or Dallas,
(well, I can get to Newark, which is actually worse for me than a
change and onwards to JFK) for reasons that have nothing to do with
anything very much

BA fly from Manchester direct to JFK and BMI fly direct from Manchester to
Chicago (and Las Vegas?)

Direct? Or non-stop?

Marianne

Old August 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

William Black wrote:

"d.g.s." wrote in message
On 8/18/2007 4:15 AM jumped down, turned around, and
wrote:

On Aug 17, 3:43 pm, Jim McCarthy
wrote:
You must be a braindead cretin, that you fail to realise that many. many
readers of the ng are travellers to Europe, many through Heathrow!!

Of course they are interested in all the problems with Heathrow.

Not really. Flights through Heathrow are generally a bit cheaper than
those using other airports. And that is all that matters, isn't it?

Eh? Given that the likes of Ryanair and easyJet don't even operate out
of Heathrow, that's not generally true.

It is if you want to travel a long way.

Ryanair and Easyjet don't even cross the Atlantic, never mind do the long
trips to Asia.

If you are flying 'long haul' then Heathrow is significantly cheaper.

Flying transatlantically to the US in recent years, it has always been
cheaper for me to fly via Schiphol (and in one case CDG) from
Manchester, than on direct flights or flights via LON.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.politics.misc
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

William Black wrote:

"TMOliver" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote t...

If you are flying 'long haul' then Heathrow is significantly cheaper.

Only lately have I had access to direct service into LHR from DFW, since
AA was exiled to Gatwick. For me and several millions of others
hereabouts, flights to GTW were usually cheaper than service to LHR.
Non-stop they were quicker, and DFW's an hour closer driving that IAH.

Flights to the USA from the UK are odd.

For a start there are an awful lot of them to a variety of airports in the
USA, but from very few airports in the UK. I can fly direct to Philadelphia
or Atlanta from Manchester, but not New York or Dallas, (well, I can get
to Newark, which is actually worse for me than a change and onwards to JFK)
for reasons that have nothing to do with anything very much

Newark is a "New York" airport, and for Manhattan is just as convenient-
in some ways more so. But, you can fly from Manchester to JFK if you
want to. Both Delta and BA fly there on separate daily flights. Even
Pakistan International Airlines fly there, but not daily...

Dallas isn't _so_ strange. There are only two daily flights from the UK
to Dallas, and they're not from Heathrow! (Chicago is just as good a hub
for UK passengers as Dallas in most cases.) Philadelphia and Atlanta are
big hubs for those airlines- a lot of the passengers from Manchester are
going elsewhere...

I can fly to the Middle East and onwards to Asia from just about everywhere
in the UK (This year it looks like it'll be from Newcastle) but if I want to
fly to the USA I have to use either one of the London airports or
Manchester, and the London airports are significantly cheaper.

There aren't that many middle east flights from Manchester, though, and
only one from Newcastle...

[]
But, to get to the point, I don't think it's possible for you to fly
direct to a UK provincial airport, and it isn't possible for me to fly
direct to New York (JFK) from a UK provincial airport,

You can fly to New York from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Bristol as
well as Manchester. As I mentioned, EWR is as much a New York airport as
JFK is, and Manchester flies there anyway.

for reasons that
have nothing to do with the level of business available for such flights.

How do you know?

And yet, for some reason, flights to JFK from Heathrow are cheaper...

There's nothing odd about it. Demand, hubs, all that kind of stuff.

Old August 21st, 2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.politics.misc
JohnT[_3_]

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
William Black wrote:

"TMOliver" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote t...

[...]

Until recently, there were 4 daily non-stops from LGW to DFW; 3 on AA and
one on BA. AA have reduced their daily frequency to two, so there are now 3
daily flights. DFW is a much better hub for some destinations on the AA
network - for example to Ontario, California where I fly regularly. PHX (by
BA from LHR) is also a good hub. And it is worth mentioning that the flights
to DFW out of LGW transfer to LHR in April 2008.
--

JohnT

Old August 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air

JohnT wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message

[]
Dallas isn't _so_ strange. There are only two daily flights from the UK
to Dallas, and they're not from Heathrow! (Chicago is just as good a hub
for UK passengers as Dallas in most cases.) Philadelphia and Atlanta are
big hubs for those airlines- a lot of the passengers from Manchester are
going elsewhere...

Until recently, there were 4 daily non-stops from LGW to DFW; 3 on AA and
one on BA. AA have reduced their daily frequency to two, so there are now 3
daily flights.

I hadn't realised it was that many, but even then, that's not many.
Boston has 5 from London, and it's not really that big a hub- but
probably more popular to fly to.

DFW is a much better hub for some destinations on the AA
network

Which is why I said "in most cases."

Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.politics.misc
mrtravel[_3_]

William Black wrote:

"TMOliver" wrote in message

"William Black" wrote t...

If you are flying 'long haul' then Heathrow is significantly cheaper.

Only lately have I had access to direct service into LHR from DFW, since
AA was exiled to Gatwick. For me and several millions of others
hereabouts, flights to GTW were usually cheaper than service to LHR.
Non-stop they were quicker, and DFW's an hour closer driving that IAH.

Flights to the USA from the UK are odd.

For a start there are an awful lot of them to a variety of airports in the
USA, but from very few airports in the UK. I can fly direct to Philadelphia
or Atlanta from Manchester, but not New York or Dallas, (well, I can get
to Newark, which is actually worse for me than a change and onwards to JFK)
for reasons that have nothing to do with anything very much

How is adding a connection make it better to go to JFK than a nonstop to
EWR? What is your destination in the NYC area?
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,uk.politics.misc
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

Default Londoners fear mrtravel will drive away visitors - time to BOYCOTT mrtravel

mrtravel moronically wrote:

William Black wrote:
"TMOliver" wrote in message
.. .

"William Black" wrote t...

If you are flying 'long haul' then Heathrow is significantly cheaper.

Only lately have I had access to direct service into LHR from DFW, since
AA was exiled to Gatwick. For me and several millions of others
hereabouts, flights to GTW were usually cheaper than service to LHR.
Non-stop they were quicker, and DFW's an hour closer driving that IAH.

Flights to the USA from the UK are odd.

For a start there are an awful lot of them to a variety of airports in the
USA, but from very few airports in the UK. I can fly direct to Philadelphia
or Atlanta from Manchester, but not New York or Dallas, (well, I can get
to Newark, which is actually worse for me than a change and onwards to JFK)
for reasons that have nothing to do with anything very much

How is adding a connection make it better to go to JFK than a nonstop to
EWR? What is your destination in the NYC area?

Oh, why don't you just SHUT UP...

--
Best
Greg