Seeing eye dogs on Princess...should I cancel?

Old September 1st, 2004, 05:51 AM
Dick Goldhaber

I cannot speak for the rules which apply to seeing eye dogs but I know that
the contract that my daughter signed with NEADS when she was paired with
Heidi, her hearing dog, is specific in that Heidi has to go wherever Danni
goes.

When we cruised the Panama Canal in 2001 there were two other dogs on board,
Idaho, a seeing eye dog, and Ross, an"assistive" dog, whose job it was to
pull his master's wheelchair.

Heidi and Idaho got along. They used to meet in the afternoon after lunch
on the Sports Deck and play, supervised by us, but the people with Ross
never wanted to mingle and thus we avoided them as much as possible.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ
ojunk

"Meredith Dixon" wrote in message
On 31 Aug 2004 19:27:39 GMT,
ando (RTCReferee) wrote:

I have cruised and dined with blind people before, but they did not bring

their
dogs along. They got along just fine with their cane and their loved one

with
them, including on shore excursions.... Based on that experience, I
tend to feel that for most blind people, the service animals are not

REQUIRED
on vacation if they have a traveling companion with them, though I

realize they
would miss their dog.

You might just as well say that, because you have met farsighted people

who can
read the newspaper perfectly well with a magnifying glass, most farsighted

people
have no reason to take their prescription reading glasses with them on a

trip,
just a magnifying glass -- though of course they would miss their glasses.

Some blind people do manage perfectly well with canes. Others are far

more mobile
with the help of their dogs. Moreover, people who are used to working

with dogs
are often rusty at cane use. It depends entirely on the individual's

skills and
limitations.

--
Meredith Dixon
Check out *Raven Days*:

Old September 1st, 2004, 06:25 AM
RTCReferee

linsifer wrote:

Guide Dogs for the Blind use a lot of Labrador Retrievers, Goldens and a
mix of these two breeds, bred for gentleness, temperament and soundness. They

breed their own dogs. Both breeds are the best!

http://www.guidedog.org/index.html

Thank you for posting that link. I'm sure the dogs are great. I am normally
opposed to eugenics, but breeding for this very important purpose is something
I can get behind, albeit not with a pooper scooper.
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:27 AM
Charles

In article , Danni
wrote:

I wonder if there is not some violation of the ADA happening here. It's an
Alaska cruise. I'm wondering whether Princess notified the blind passengers
that they wanted to identify them to other passengers.

Even if the ADA could be applied I would guess it would only be a
violation if they did not allow the guide dogs on the cruise.

If as Ref says they are letting people know because there are those
allergic and those with a fear of dogs, offhand it sounds reasonable to
notify passengers there will be a lare group of dogs onboard. You have
to wonder if there was some incident that brought about this policy as
it does seem unusual for a cruise line notify passengers.

--
Charles
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:56 PM
Lee

"Danni" wrote in message ...

I wonder if there is not some violation of the ADA happening here. It's an
Alaska cruise. I'm wondering whether Princess notified the blind passengers
that they wanted to identify them to other passengers.

That part bothers me. Pointing out a specific group traveling to the rest
of the passengers. Offering money back so that one doesn't have to travel
with "them".

I think the "them" here is more the dogs than the blind people. If
dogs weren't involved, I don't think the OP would be deciding whether
or not to cancel the cruise, AND, I doubt Princess would have alerted
the other passengers that there would be eleven blind people on the
ship if they weren't travelling with dogs.

It could be absolutely miserable to cruise with dogs if you are highly
allergic or scared to death. Fortunately, I'm neither, so ther
presence wouldn't bother me a bit. But, I do know folks who simply
can't breath when they're around pet dander. Don't you think tith's
fair that they know that they'll be entering a potentially hostile
environment and let them make a decision about it based on their own
health and phobia issues?

Lee
Old September 1st, 2004, 08:23 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:16:39 -0400, clint wrote:

Why would a blind person go on a cruise?

To not see the sea.
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:08 PM
Skip

There was a guide dog on the cruise we took on the Norwegian Wind to
Alaska. For the first two days dog was one of the major attractions
aboard ship. Iit's owner said it was bred to be hypo-allergenic.
After that it just blended into the background and was, to the best of
my knowledge, never a problem.

Skip