Mariner of The Seas vs. Ocean Liners of The Past

Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:44 PM
*bicker*

A Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:09:20 GMT, Benjamin Smith
escribió:
I find something wrong with an overemphasis on money making.
I think life is about balance

Haven't we had this discussion before? grin

You are correct about life being about balance: Corporations
are for the money-making. Other institutions, entities and
aspects of life exist for the other things.

I find that designing for a steered majority often leads to mediocrity

Only with respect to an arbitrary, subjective standard, of
course.

--
bicker®
Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
*bicker*

A Mon, 03 Jan 2005 04:16:45 GMT, Benjamin Smith
escribió:
I'm for dressing to match personality, mood, ambiance, space, etc. So, I
think the jeans everywhere and casual popularity isn't as interesting as
people dressing to their various aspects of their personalities and
presenting them in social situations.

One thing I have noted is that folks who don't engage in a
sub-culture often have difficulty seeing that it is a
sub-culture and therefore often overlook the interesting
aspects of it. For example, as you, I often lump all denim
together. However, my younger family members help me
understand that there are various grades of denim clothing,
some of which they'd consider on-par with what you and I
call Smart Casual, and even some that verge on Formal,
again, if we were to respect the folks wearing it
appropriately.

--
bicker®

Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM
Surfer E2468

KAREN:
The ships where you can sit and enjoy the ocean are rare,the only places
they have are usually on the sun deck,and not everyone can tolerate hot
sun,last cruise only places to sit were so windy it was next to
impossible to even sit on the sun deck.
Only ships we know of left for sitting on promenade deck are HAL,&
PRINCESS

Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:04 PM
Surfer E2468

Remember the ship with the volley ball court,one was the NORWAY,and we
watched as PAT BOONE and his group played,and kept throwing the
volleyballs over the side,

Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:13 PM
Benjamin Smith

escribió:

I'm for dressing to match personality, mood, ambiance, space, etc. So, I
think the jeans everywhere and casual popularity isn't as interesting as
people dressing to their various aspects of their personalities and
presenting them in social situations.

One thing I have noted is that folks who don't engage in a
sub-culture often have difficulty seeing that it is a
sub-culture and therefore often overlook the interesting
aspects of it. For example, as you, I often lump all denim
together. However, my younger family members help me
understand that there are various grades of denim clothing,
some of which they'd consider on-par with what you and I
call Smart Casual, and even some that verge on Formal,
again, if we were to respect the folks wearing it
appropriately.

Not that I understand the subcultures but I understand the various
grades of denim to some extent. A TV show I watch from time to time
called "What Not to Wear" has explained and demonstrated different types
of jean wear. I even saw a pair of jeans on someone today that I
actually liked (on someone wearing a smart casual outfit).

Still in all, they are denim, they are for the most part blue. And they
are ubiquitous. But I'm encouraged. I went to Old Navy, a popular store,
and saw plenty of colors and different types of fabrics. And I'm
beginning to see in public places people wearing some of what I saw at
the store. A nice break from the sea of denim and "Dockers" types of
clothing, and the sea of black that many women favor to wear.

Ben S.

--
bicker®

Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:28 PM
Benjamin Smith

Karen Segboer wrote:

Benjamin Smith wrote:

Karen Segboer wrote:

Cruise companies are in the money-making business. They want to draw
as many of each generation as they can. Nothing wrong with that,
doesn't bother me, and it's smart on their part.

I find something wrong with an overemphasis on money making.

That's what huge corporations who fund the building and operating of
cruise ships want, though, Ben. Very little in business is as zen as
you'd like it to be.

Over the past few months I've had conversations with people from Asia
and Africa where business is integrated into a concept of extended
community service. The bottom line is striving for the well being of the
community. These are very complex societies in some ways though they
lack the material richness of Western societies. So, what I say isn't
based on my wishes, but alternative ways of thinking about things.

Now, we are not talking about the scale of finance that it takes to make
fleets of ships, maintain them with efficiency, etc. And we are not
talking about stock prices that encourage investments that provide more
options for customers.

I'm also not saying I find everything attractive in these societies, I
actually admire the quality of mass production that some large companies
have attained. All I'm saying is there's a balance of realizing what you
provide to people and the legacy of what you produce and at the same
time providing those that support your corporations with reasonably
positive financial returns.

Ben S.

Karen

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews/pic.html ®

Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:28 PM
Charles

In article , Surfer
E2468 wrote:

Only ships we know of left for sitting on promenade deck are HAL,&
PRINCESS

Royal Caribbean has ships where you can sit on the promenade deck. Also
Celebrity does too.

--
Charles